Self bows and string follow.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

bigbob

Self bows and string follow.

#1 Post by bigbob » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Howdy one n all,
Just got a hickory backed hickory self bow and it came with about 1 3/4'' of string follow. I left it strung for a few hours and it went to about 3'', though it returned to the original after a few hours.My question is can i induce some reflex into the limbs with a heat gun and suspended weights, so that the limbs maintain a straighter profile or is it just the way of self bows.My concern is that with the string follow it is reducing the brace height and could it also affect draw weight noticably?
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

longbow steve

Re: Self bows and string follow.

#2 Post by longbow steve » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:56 pm

I think Dennis La Varenne did a thread on reversing string follow in a bow a while back so it would be worth finding that thread.
Some considerations with Hickory is that it prefers a low moisture content, lower than most other timbers so getting moisture out by means of a hot box or car in the sun just prior to final finishing can help reduce set. By comparison my Pecan selfbow has an inch of follow and 2 inches after shooting recovering to original 1 inch soon after.
I havent had anything to do with heat treating a stave/bow other than heat bending Pecan using vegetable oil to prevent scorching, the response of the stave was good and I got most of the twist out.
Hopefully someone will chime in with experience in heat treating bellies of bows, you see a lot of it on forum's but how many fail soon after as a result and not get posted? Steve

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks Steve will chase up that post later [ broncos about to kick off] Any body else feel free to add your thoughts.
razorbows.com

Steven J

#4 Post by Steven J » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Bob,

You can probably find some method to reduce the amount of string follow, however I feel that it is likely that either moisture as Steve has suggested or non-optimal design has caused it. If the design is not right for the timber, I suspect that any reflex that you steam or heat into the bow may well see string follow return very quickly. Try to assess where and why the string follow is present and build another bow according to your new knowledge.

String follow is not all bad. I have a nice bamboo backed bow that follows the string 2". It is a slowish bow but such a soft bow to shoot and I have been able to keep my own against more sophisticated bows with it shooting indoor targets. The cause of the string follow here was poor design, but it taught me a good lesson. This bow only takes about 1/4" of set after shooting before returning to its equilibrium of 2".

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks steve,
Its not a bow I've made but one I bought State side to plug a gap while I gather the where withall to make my own laminated boo bow.It came with 1 3/4'' of set but takes more if left strung for a while. It came with a finish on it so unless moisture was present when it was shaped I doubt it got any here.Havent had a chance to use it yet, what with one thing or the other but it draws very smooth.Whether it will have the cast to get any distance will be another thing.For the money i paid it will be ok.
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:22 pm

"Just got a hickory backed hickory self bow and it came with about 1 3/4'' of string follow."

If it is a laminated bow [and not a self bow] too much heat could affect the glue and the bow may suffer from glue failure and delaminate.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

ed

#7 Post by ed » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:21 am

Steven J wrote:Bob,

String follow is not all bad.
Steve
I have a vague recollection that Howard Hill preferred a little string follow. Idea was that the bows are more "pointable" and "stable" in the hand.

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks Daryl,
My descriptions do go a little wayward at times. Take your point about self bows viz a viz laminated , as it does have a single lamination as backing on it, and dont think the glue would like the heat come to think of it. I actually got to try a couple of arrows today out of it and it draws back to 54# at 29 almost right on the money. I thought it was only pulling about 40# as it was so smooth. We only had 15m to shoot from but after a half dozen shots I put 3 arrows in a 3'' circle, and that was off the shelf.It is unfortunately cut to a virtual centre shot which i dont particularly like.All in all am quite happy with it for the money.
razorbows.com

perry

#9 Post by perry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Please don't try to reduce the string follow on your Bow, sounds like it shoots just fine

Lets just say some of the methods I've read about on this and other forums are questionable. Why - simply put string follow is a reflection of the compression a bows belly timber has undergone, the fibers have been compressed, . It has been trained to bend one way to draw it backwards [ stretch it ] then compress the same wood again is inviting disaster.

By all means apply every trick in the book including heat and drawing a bow into reflex while it's green, in the form etc, but once the bow has been finish tillered, and definitely when it's been shot some love the bow for what it is

A Selfbow or timber laminate bow with a degree of string follow is a desirable trait in my view. A Selfbow or timber laminate bow with 2" or 3" of just unbraced string follow will be smoother, less sensitive, more forgiving and easier to shoot accurately. My favourite Selfbows have between 2 and 3 " of string follow, they shoot hard and accurately. Sure I've had Selfbows that took less set but notice I said "had"

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks Perry,
I take your advise but being genuinely pigheaded and obstinate I am just going to try a little experiment with the judicious use of some weights suspended from the nocks over a period of time keeping an eye on the belly for any sign of stress. I still havent been able to give it a good work out as it is pouring rain at the moment so i might as well give it a try.It is very smooth and easy to shoot from the dozen arrows I've had out of it.
razorbows.com

ed

#11 Post by ed » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:38 pm

I agree with Perry, and would like to state very simply that a finished bow is not a "living" thing and so you can not train it like a muscle. It has it's structure and all you can do is stress it, either within it's limits and so it will when released go back to it's shape, or beyond it's limits when it will deform. So I can not see any point in trying to experiment unless you want a weaker bow?...

perry

#12 Post by perry » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:03 pm

:D Good on yah bigbob :D but I meant my thoughts to come across a pig headed and obstinate aswell :D :D Forgive me if I failed :oops:

:mrgreen:

One further thought - next time you brace and shoot the bow, will the belly timber compress again, YES and it could compress further and increase string follow with continued abuse as you describe :wink:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#13 Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:05 pm

I read the older post from dennis La verne about a gradual systematic application of persuasion to attempt a reversal of string follow and even induce some reflex into a bow, and find myself conflicted between opposing points of view. I have read extensively many years ago on the subject, but as one who now who thinks he is meeting some one new every time he sees a mirror I am probably going to flip a coin. thats if I remember why. cheers
razorbows.com