arrow cresting, varnish, oil etc

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greenhorn

arrow cresting, varnish, oil etc

#1 Post by greenhorn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:45 pm

hey guys. there is probably a thread in here somewhere, where it already explains it but i cant seem to find it. i was wondering, when it comes to wooden arrows, what you guys do to finish them off? i hear alot of people just oiling them and then using some wax? also i would like to know the order to do all of this. such as for example: paint (cresting), oiling, waxing, fletching? is this right?

any tips would help greatly!

cheers. :D
Being lost is a state of mind, not a state of place
The more you know the less you carry
There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing
Bushcraft is what you carry in your mind and your muscles

Trad Bound

Re: arrow cresting, varnish, oil etc

#2 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi Greenhorn
there are many ways to do this and it comes down to what you want your arrow to look like and how fast you want to do it. As I'm c***p at doing cresting I don't plan to do it any more so here is what works for me.
1.On the nock end I prime paint about 8-10 inches then paint it with Acrylic paint (normally a mistint from bunnings) allow to dry 2hrs or stain the arrow whatever floats your boat.
2. glue on nocks with Tarzan grip or Balasa wood glue allow to dry 30 mins
3. Glue on points with24 Araldite allow to dry 24 hrs
4. In my home made dipper (PVC pipes) I use a Wattyl waterbased estapol 50/50 with water. Waterbased as oil based with stuff up the PVC glue. I dip arrows up to nock
5. I have a string with lots of wooden pegs across my workshop hang arrows and drip dry. 2 hrs. With 000 steel wool light rub between coats Re dip as many times as you like. Allow arrow to completely dry.
6. Fletch with fletching tape, a dot of Locktite/superglue either end of fletch and in the middle.
If I was to do cresting I would do it after first coat of estapol as it wont bleed compared to unfinished timber, i probably would not put point on before cresting either but there are better people to advise on that.
Some of my fellow traders use Minimax rub on that seems to have a very good finish.
I've also seen Danish oil instead of Estapol. I hope that is helpful. if you do a google search on George Tsoukalas Archery or Dean Torges in US both have a number pages that will be helpful.
Cheers Tony

greenhorn

Re: arrow cresting, varnish, oil etc

#3 Post by greenhorn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:31 pm

thatnk you. this is very helpfull!! :D my previous set i made i just used the raw wood and fletched them but it didnt look quiet right.... i thought that maybe if i oil with danish oil then finish off with beeswax? i would crest aswell but i dont have a cresting machine as of yet :wink: thanks for the help!! :)
Being lost is a state of mind, not a state of place
The more you know the less you carry
There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing
Bushcraft is what you carry in your mind and your muscles