Saracen Bows

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Bandsaw

Saracen Bows

#1 Post by Bandsaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:02 am

I just finished watching the first season of the BBC TV series of Robin Hood, and i would love to find out how to make a replica (if possible) Saracen bow. Anyone have any ideas??
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly

GrahameA

Re: Saracen Bows

#2 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:07 am

A couple of quick comments.

What is a "Saracen Bow" and what did they look like? Do a search on the Ozbow website for Saracen as there has been a fair amount of chat about the subject.

How to make one? Assuming you have decided that it is essentially an Asiatic-style of bow then it is simply a task of making an Asiatic-style bow with non-working Siyahs to your plans.

A start http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... 15&p=65594.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

muntries

#3 Post by muntries » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:12 am

which Robin Hood is it Bandsaw? Is it the recent series or the 1980's classic that set the scene for all the new films etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_of_Sherwood

Is it on free to air at the moment?? Would like to check it out.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

Bandsaw

#4 Post by Bandsaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Muntries, it is a recent one.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0787985/

Here is a pic of robin holding the bow. Yeah grahame, but i was hoping to make it without the glass, if possible :?:
Attachments
saracen.jpg
saracen.jpg (13.82 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly

Bandsaw

#5 Post by Bandsaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Did you ever finish that chinese bow grahame?? And would any hardwood suit for the riser and syahs??

hue

#6 Post by hue » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:04 pm

ok correct me if i'm wrong guys, the Saracens were turkic peoples, which was/is a huge and reasonably diverse group of people. their bow styles were equally diverse. we have two "turk" bows at our club.
one is very similiar to the north asian bows and easily strung, the other is owned by a woman and is a "crab" bow and she uses a board and peg system to string it.
Bandsaw, why don't you try googling Toth, Grozier or Lukas Novotney and see what their turkish bows look like and perhaps "borrow" a design there that would suit you

Hue
I can only be who I am

Bandsaw

#7 Post by Bandsaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Hue, the Saracen's were the turks and from the telly series (i dont know how historically factual it is) it looks like there were two types of bows used. One was the bow pictured and the other looked like the korean horse bow that john mcdonald sells.

I got the design from the tv series and other bows. I was mainly looking for a method of making the bow using only wood (no glass) and the atcual possibility of it working. But by reading GrahameA's buildalong has given me hope that it would. I might just have to use light wood for the limbs.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi Bandsaw,

Building static tip bows is not overly difficult. Pre planing the project is the key to a successful ending.

The photo depicts a bow that I built about six years ago. The core incorporating the siyahs was laid up on an adjustable form. An adjustable form allows you to experiment with various limb profiles.
New Bow 01.jpg
New Bow 01.jpg (94.9 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
When the plan of the limbs was shaped I copied this to some prepared bamboo and cut them to the plan. The inner of the bamboo was spoke-shaved to give the desired taper. These were then glued to the core on the form. The glue-ups are done in a few stages.
Greybeard With Static Tip Bow.jpg
Greybeard With Static Tip Bow.jpg (136.46 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
If you wanted to get adventurous the bamboo could be replaced with horn and sinew. The other alternative is to use glass. Siyahs can take any length/design within reason to suit your tastes.

Think outside the square and don't be afraid to experiment.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Bandsaw

#9 Post by Bandsaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:29 pm

So was bamboo the only wood used in this bow daryl?? How did you get it to curve, was it just by gluing different layers of wood together and then clamping it to the form?? And are the syahs a separate piece of wood to the limbs or have you just tapered the syahs down to the thickness of the limbs?? And wat poundage did this one end up coming out at??

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:02 am

Morning All.
Bandsaw wrote:Did you ever finish that chinese bow grahame?? And would any hardwood suit for the riser and syahs??
It is currently sitting unfinished but with new Siyahs on it. I made another bow instead and I should get motivated and finish it off.
which Robin Hood is it Bandsaw? Is it the recent series or the 1980's classic that set the scene for all the new films etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_of_Sherwood
I doubt that many people here would remember Robin of Sherwood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig4bdX5CoDk Clannad fans naturally would:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb5v5vtPlx4

Hi Hue:
ok correct me if i'm wrong guys, the Saracens were turkic peoples, which was/is a huge and reasonably diverse group of people. their bow styles were equally diverse. we have two "turk" bows at our club.
one is very similiar to the north asian bows and easily strung, the other is owned by a woman and is a "crab" bow and she uses a board and peg system to string it.
Bandsaw, why don't you try googling Toth, Grozier or Lukas Novotney and see what their turkish bows look like and perhaps "borrow" a design there that would suit you
Yes and No. In true sense the Saracens were Turkic and did not include Arabs - however they are often lumped together when used in a Crusader era context.

As for Bows the authenticity of some reproductions are a bit "iffy". Have a read of this http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/pr ... s_8_1_1037 and have a read of this http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/2 ... .curve.htm.
Hue, the Saracen's were the turks and from the telly series (i dont know how historically factual it is) it looks like there were two types of bows used. One was the bow pictured and the other looked like the korean horse bow that john mcdonald sells.

I got the design from the tv series and other bows. I was mainly looking for a method of making the bow using only wood (no glass) and the atcual possibility of it working. But by reading GrahameA's buildalong has given me hope that it would. I might just have to use light wood for the limbs.

I would not hold much hope for anything on that particular show being well researched or factual - still a good piece of light entertainment. Yes, you can build them from timber - see Daryl's comments.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Bandsaw

#11 Post by Bandsaw » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:25 pm

I found this site while searching for asiatic/turkic bow designs.
http://198.170.107.188/phpBB2/index.php

There are alot of helpful things on there that help you with stuff that has gone wrong in your bows grahame.

Ben

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Bill » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:30 pm

:( I'm sorry that this is not related to the Saracen Bow, but I'm :wink: looking for a DVD of the film "Robin of Sherwood" that Grahame mentions. So has anyone got a copy or know where I can get a copy to view on loan. I will pay for its postage costs on its return...thanks.........Bill

looseplucker

#13 Post by looseplucker » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:16 pm

That ATARN site is a cracker.

Here is one bow I particularly liked - all wood:

http://198.170.107.188/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:10 pm

Bill wrote::( I'm sorry that this is not related to the Saracen Bow, but I'm :wink: looking for a DVD of the film "Robin of Sherwood" that Grahame mentions. So has anyone got a copy or know where I can get a copy to view on loan. I will pay for its postage costs on its return...thanks.........Bill
The Complete series of RoS is available from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Robin-Sherwood-Co ... B00180IPQW It appears to have both the Micael Praed and Jason Connery episodes in it.

There are a few episodes on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B7bfsovT1E However, the quality is nowhere near as good as what it is on a DVD.

Ben - do a search for ATARN on this site - OZBOW.
Grahame.

hue

#15 Post by hue » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:35 pm

yeah, i was aware that the saracens were not arabs in any sense Grahame, much like the tartars were actually Mongols!
i seem to remember reading somewhere that Saladin and Richard had a parley during the third crusade. Saladin tried to brocker a deal with Richard to partition Jerusalem on the condition that the christians helped the arabs to curtail the activities of the saracens. yet another mistake by Richard was when he refused the deal!

Hue
I can only be who I am

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by greybeard » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi Ben,

If you go to the following link and scroll down to my replies it will explain how I constructed the bows.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3714

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stephen Georgiou

#17 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:09 pm

beautiful looking bow Daryl !

GrahameA

#18 Post by GrahameA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Daryl.

The form of the link to go to a post.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=15

3714 is the number of the topic and the start=25 tells it to start at the 15 post. Which is your first post. Should have done this earlier, as I promised, but I was reading some other stuff
Grahame.

Bandsaw

#19 Post by Bandsaw » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm definately gonna have a go at one of those bows Daryl. When i get a bit more experience under my belt.

I'll have a look on here Grahame.

Bandsaw

#20 Post by Bandsaw » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Is there anyone out there with plans for dean torges' adjustable form???

Ben

woodie

#21 Post by woodie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:34 am

Hi Ben rewatch his dvd that you have he tells you how to make it.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Bandsaw

#22 Post by Bandsaw » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:06 am

Oh fair enuf, i forgot he explained how to make it. You slap me next time you see me.

Ben

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by greybeard » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi Ben,

The photo shows an end post with a built in base and intermeditate posts. This base allows them to be clamped to the main beam so they don't push out as the laminations are being clamped down. Intermediate posts can be made to different heights to give more flexibility with bow designs.
Adjustable Form.jpg
Adjustable Form.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Intermediate posts are positioned to produce the desired shape. Small clamps are used between the posts to hold the laminations together.

Speed clamps are good as you can as you can clamp down in unison either side of the centre post.

Nails driven into the top of the posts will stop sidewards slipping when clamping down the glued laminations.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Ascham]

Bandsaw

#24 Post by Bandsaw » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks Daryl, you are a font of knowledge. Will definitely have to knock one or two up.

Ben

GrahameA

#25 Post by GrahameA » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:12 am

Morning.

If you look at the photos of my Yumi build there are several of Daryl's form in use - along with a multitude of clamps. http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9092
Grahame.

Bandsaw

#26 Post by Bandsaw » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:15 am

That's one gnarly bow Grahame. Do you just use a scrap bit of wood to get the shape u want first??

Ben

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#27 Post by greybeard » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi Ben,

If you decide to go down the glass road it may pay to make a rigid form when you settle on a design.
Mongol Bow 006 - Copy.jpg
Mongol Bow 006 - Copy.jpg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
The rigid form shown in the photo allows me some latitude when deciding on the overall length of the bow.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Ascham]

Bandsaw

#28 Post by Bandsaw » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Cheers daryl, Is there a section in one of the TBBs on laminated bows?? I'm only up to the tillering chapter in TBB 1.

Ben