Feather Cutters

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

pumba

Feather Cutters

#1 Post by pumba » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Just wondering what is the best style of feather cutter, and where would be the best place to source one from

Cheers Greg

Trad Bound

Re: Feather Cutters

#2 Post by Trad Bound » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi pumba
Little Feather chopper are a fairly common brand. you can buy then here I'm pretty sure Trad Bits (Scrub Bull) and AMSO 128 (jcm) Wildwood (white hawk) all are sponsors here would sell them. You need to work out what size and profile you want. If you are starting to go down this path and are planning to buy quanitities of feathers, nocks, points, cutters, taper tools etc then whilst the oz dollar is buying good us dollars it is worth buying up big direct. Kustom king and 3 rivers in the US. I use Kustom King as they are prompt and have a better /realistic packaging approach to mailing to Aus they also have a 5% discount for online buying. You will find things like gloves etc are worth buying at the same time make the most of one time postage. yes postage is dear but if you are buying up it does pay.
Cheers Tony

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:33 am

G'day Greg,

IMO the best feather chopper is the Vario Clipper; see this thread and note the post by jcm saying he will have them back in stock soon. http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10009

The Vario costs up towards double what the Little Chopper costs but the price premium is well worth it as they are so much better then the Little Choppers IMO.

Jeff

pumba

#4 Post by pumba » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:39 pm

thanks all for the great imput, I will have a chat to john

greg