Anyone tried Meranti for selfbow?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

littlejohn

Anyone tried Meranti for selfbow?

#1 Post by littlejohn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Strolling thru the hardware the other day I was browsing the timbers when I noticed a piece of Meranti that had a nice close straight grain on it. I picked it up at a bargain basement price so I think I have nothing to lose.....
Has anyone else ever tried this timber?
pete

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Anyone tried Meranti for selfbow?

#2 Post by greybeard » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi Pete,

The only time I have used meranti has been in cabinet making and wooden dinghies.

I have used meranti that was a silver/grey colour and was so soft you could dint it with thumb nail pressure and when ripping with a saw you got long fibrous strands along with the saw dust.
At the other end of the scale a 40mm thick piece red/brown in colour that I bought to use as the keel for a dinghy almost stopped a 10” table saw. The saw dust was as fine as talcum powder.

The link below will illustrate the scope of timber sold as Meranti.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/26_5444.htm

The following link will enable you to check various timber species for their properties.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/26_5509.htm

Personally I would be reluctant to try meranti for a self bow but what the hell; you have got the timber so give it a go, very little to lose and a lot to gain.

A pyramid bow may be a more forgiving style for this type of timber?

Hope the information may be useful,

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

littlejohn

#3 Post by littlejohn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks Daryl,
those are interesting links. I'll save them and check them out further.
I agree with you...this piece seems very light so I was sceptical but the grain looks good. As I said I go it for pretty well nothing. So
I might give a pyramid design at about 68" a go. Absolutely nothing to lose. Pete

roscoe

#4 Post by roscoe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:05 pm

little john sand the back of the bow very smooth & burnish it with a beer bottle, to keep back fibers down. The pyramid design is a good one to make, very little thickness tapering, good luck..Roscoe

perry

#5 Post by perry » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:56 pm

I've seen Meranti used for Selfbows, it fails under compression. So - make it wide, make it long, settle for a moderate draw weight and use a working handle If you back the stave you'll get away with bloody murder, the belly will fall apart but the bow could remain in one piece - enjoy

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin