question about my newly made flemish

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

muntries

question about my newly made flemish

#1 Post by muntries » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Just finished my first flemish string (took only 10minutes!!) and wanted to ask a couple of questions that may or may not have been mentioned before but... what kind of serving should be used for a 12 strand B50 string ? and... where I have finished the loop and joined the main string there are some ends showing between the twists, is this normal or will I need to start again?

Cheers

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

matt61

Re: question about my newly made flemish

#2 Post by matt61 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi Muntries
Yep the fluffy bits sticking out ,you can just carefully trim them off and rub a good amount of wax over the twisted ends to stick whats left of them down.As for serving the string,I serve the string with a serving of a thickness that when you nock an arrow on the string you then hold the bow so the arrow hangs vertical and then give the string a flick with your finger next to the arrow it should drop off the string.There is nothing worse to me than someone nocking arrow on to string and it almost sounds like a mouse trap going off,it takes speed of the arrow and the arrow drags the string foward upon release making the bow noisy.
Hope that helps a bit
Matt

muntries

#3 Post by muntries » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Cheers Matt it does, still puzzled about the size I need though. Don't want to get .018 and its too small or .021 and its too thick. I use a .246 gold tip nock, is there a chart that can help me out??

ta Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi Simon
I serve a sixteen strand string with .015 serving to suit the Marco nocks I use or .018 for a bit snugger fit.
Try a number four brownell serving and see what happens. I don't know of any charts for serving.
Cheers
Matt

muntries

#5 Post by muntries » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:23 am

Thanks for your help with the string business Matt, much appreciated. I will give the number 4 a go then if its too thick I know I haven't wasted $30.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:49 am

I still use the No 4 serving on all my strings. If you find the string too thin for your nocks simply serve your nocking point area (25mm or so) with some dental floss first and then serve with the No 4 serving as normal.

Jeff

muntries

#7 Post by muntries » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Matt & Jeff, thanks for all the advice on the servings. The number 4 worked perfectly, nock is slightly snug but it will do me! String looks good, very peppermint with green and white, matching wool silencers I made myself and the green serving. Just need to see how it holds up in front of the target butts.

Cheers

Simon