a bark tanning how to-

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

a bark tanning how to-

#1 Post by clinton miller » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:42 pm

ok guys, i'm in the process of putting together a primitive hunting kit and part of that is of course a quiver. this leads me to tanning the skins that the quiver will be made from. i'm enjoying the primitive journey and though i haven't hunted primitive yet one has to start somewhere and that place is making all your own gear, from gathering and processing materials through to finally, the making of the equipment. it takes time and patience and a little know how learned along the way.

so here we go.
bark tanning-
i learnt this method from dad, (ironically the way it's been done for 1000's of years) it's simple and it works.
dad used to strip wattle bark for coonan's tannery in toowoomba years ago.
i have fond memories of time in the bush stripping bark and learning bush skill from dad and a late friend who dad stripped bark with. basically you strip the bark from what we call black wattle. not the Acacia implexa or melonoxylon you guys are thinking of, we call that hickory wattle. i will try and get the botanical name of the wattle we use for you later.
we make cuts and the trunk like you would for ring barking and with the right technique and weather conditions, (periods of dry or dought weather makes the bark cling to the sapwood, in wetter weather it comes straight off) one can remove long sheets of bark up to the crown of the tree. this bark is bundled and dryed on big flat rocks that we have here in the granite belt. after drying it would go to the tannery. however if i want it for myself i chip it up into 2" lengths with an axe while still green then allow to dry.

so now you have a supply of bark and some skins to tan. we need to make a tanning liquor for the skins to soak in. the bark contains tannins which will tan the hide when it's left to soak in the liquor. other species of acacia and perhaps other types of bark may work to. this is just what i know works. i suspect that many wattles would be suitable, yielding varying amounts of tannin for a given amount of bark. brigalow comes to mind.

right, now 1st you need to start your liquor. you need a suitable plastic or stainless steel vessel to contain the liquor. steel will corrode badly with contact to the liquor. i use a plastic 44 gallon drum with the top cut off. also you need a plastic bucket with holes drilled in it. this is what you place the bark in. this bucket goes in the drum so the bark can soak in the water without going all through the mix with the skins. it also allows easy removal of the bark when it's lost all its tannin to the liquor and requires replacing. that's about all you need in regards to making the liquor.

to make it- i fill a 10L bucket with holes full of bark and put enough hot water in the drum to cover it. don't drown your bucket as the bark might float out and go everywhere. it may help to suspend the bucket. you need enough water in the drum to cover the skins you have to tan. you don't want the skins tightly packed. the hot water helps speed up the release of the tannins. in a few days you'll have what looks like a huge pot of tea. when you have that it's ready for some skins. throughout the process i agitate the bucket daily so it leaches out the tannin more effectively. just lift it out and let it drain and put it back in is enough.

here's my bucket about to be loaded up with the 1st load of bark. depending on the thickness of hides to be tanned it may take 4-6 weeks of tanning. during this time the bark will need changing as it loses its tannins to the liquor. the main reason i use a bucket is so you can just tip it out and replace the bark with no fuss.

then just place it in the drum of hot water and the process has started. now you can tend to other primitive tasks......

by the weekend it should be ready for some skins. on saturday i plan to flesh some deer hides ready to go in the liquor to tan. primitive quiver anyone?........i have 2 chital skins and a fallow skin to do.
i'll update this with the fleshing of the hides etc.
sit tight, updates will come. it's a slow process as most primitive ways are. patience young jedi........
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

bigbob

Re: a bark tanning how to-

#2 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Great reading Clinton. I doubt I myself will get the need for it these days but plenty will. From memory, as you said wattles are good, and the one bugging me, acacia melanoxylon is one that works.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Interesting process. How often do you need to change the bark?
clinton miller wrote:on saturday i plan to flesh some deer hides ready to go in the liquor to tan. primitive quiver anyone?
Depends; did the hides come from primitive deer? :mrgreen:

Jeff

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Interesting process. How often do you need to change the bark?
clinton miller wrote:on saturday i plan to flesh some deer hides ready to go in the liquor to tan. primitive quiver anyone?
Depends; did the hides come from primitive deer? :mrgreen:

Jeff
:surprised: :surprised: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
razorbows.com

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:19 pm

about once every week.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:50 pm

clinton miller wrote:about once every week.
Thanks for that. I look forward to seeing the progress over the coming weeks.

Jeff

woodie

#7 Post by woodie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Dose the hide have to be dried/salted or can it be a fresh skin? As I have a few bunny skins to tan.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

clinton miller

#8 Post by clinton miller » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:36 pm

woodie- you can place fresh unsalted skins in a tan. just flesh them and they are right to go. rabbit skins take no time at all.

ok, update time.

had some time to spend on it today. i fleshed the fallow and 2 chital hides. they were salted so just shake off the loose salt and place them in another drum with some water to rehydrate so they could be fleshed. during fleshing you aim to remove all the remaining meat and membrane tissue still on the hide. leaving nothing but nice clean hide. you really need a beam of some sort to flesh on. it makes the job so much easier. dad made a beam many years ago. it's just a stringbark log ripped down the middle length ways and some legs on the side so it acts like a tripod. you drape the hide over it hair side down and with a fleshing knife you work down away from yourself. the beauty of a beam like this is you can lean on the hide to stop it slipping down the beam as you work.
the fleshing knife isn't very sharp and if you hold it at about 90 degrees to the beams and push down and away you'll soon find you can push the membrane and meat off pretty easy.

after fleshing just rinse the skins a couple of times and they are ready to go in the tanning liquor. the 1st lot of bark has been soaking for 48hrs and has released a good amount of tannins. i'll give it a week and i'll throw that lot out and replace it. if you notice your liquor getting paler then add more bark, since the skins are absorbing the tannins from the solution. ice tea anyone?

it important that the skins are submerged, any part sticking out will putrify and cause hair slip. it's also important that there is no air pockets trapped under the skin....same reason. give a stir daily to help the process along and ensure that the skin is in contact with the tan. areas where hide is touching isn't getting as much tan., hence the agitation and the reason why not to pack the skins in too tight. make plenty of tan so the skins have heaps of room. the fallow skin has a bad tendency to float due to the hollow hair. the chital skins sit on the bottom nicely. i have a stainless steel dish holding it under the tan.

here's the fallow skin after 4hrs of being in the tan. it was the 1st to go in.

here's a little mobile phone video of fleshing-

and yes, those are bow staves haning from the roof behind me. another piece of the puzzle.......

woodie

#9 Post by woodie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks for that Clinton. I am doing an experiment on a mouse skin and tea, very close to bark tanning is it not?
There are lots of them in my shed because of the birds so I thought why waist a good skin have a try.
woodie

clinton miller

#10 Post by clinton miller » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:12 pm

that should work woodie. tea has the same stuff in it i think. it would make a nice floor rug for a doll house. lol.

woodie

#11 Post by woodie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:06 pm

That was what I was thinking of, give it to the wife or motherinlaw as they have doll houses.
woodie

clinton miller

#12 Post by clinton miller » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 pm

they have been done now for a few months. i've forgotton about them.
they turned out just fine. i've already made a side quiver from one of the chital skins.
with some greasing and breaking in they will be nice and supple.
if you want to make leather with the hair off simply flesh the skins as normal and then soak the skin in a solution of water and hydrated lime. the hair will slip in a couple of days. then rinse throughly and place in the tanning bath.
a primitive alternative to hydrated lime is the ashes of a hardwood fire. i just sieve the coals out with a tank strainer to leave the white powdery ash. make a solution with water and soak the skin. this method works just fine also. this solution is called a lye.

hazard

#13 Post by hazard » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Thanks Clinton
That was very interesting, glad you got back and showed the outcome. This is a very good post and right to the point.

I liked the snippet of the stone tool very effective.

How long would you have the skin in the lye 2-3 days?

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

clinton miller

#14 Post by clinton miller » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:38 pm

2-3 days about what it takes. just check by scraping the hair. if it slips real easy it's ready. i use a piece of 6mm rubber about 200mm square as a scraper. this doesn't mark the hair side of the leather like a fleshing knife might. make the solution fairly strong. the PH is high (alkaline) which inhibits bacterial growth. if the solution is too weak the bacteria can break down the skin.

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by kerry » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 pm

look the goods Clint, i'll have a crack at the goat skins when the goats have grown a bit more . mmmm chevon.....
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

rodlonq

#16 Post by rodlonq » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:12 pm

A great tannalong Clinton, and the finished goods look great too. Thanks for posting.

Cheers...... Rod

otis.drum

#17 Post by otis.drum » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 pm

This is just what i need. thanks Clint.
...otis...

bigbob

#18 Post by bigbob » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks for posting Clinton, very handy to know.
razorbows.com

perry

#19 Post by perry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 am

Thankyou for this Post Clinton.

I have only Tanned using the Leidreiters Kits and the Leather it produces is not suitable for Tooling but is good for general Leather Craft

I wonder if the Leather Bark Tanning Produces is suitable for Tooling, Stamped designs etc. Modern Vegetable Tanned Tooling Leather can cost well in excess of $200 per Metre in some Grades and Bark Tanning if it is suitable looks well worth the time and effort. Even if it is not this Leather will have Colour and Character Store bought Leather does not

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Gringa Bows

#20 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:29 pm

I'll have to try that next time I bring a critters skin home,looks like a good idea.....

clinton miller

#21 Post by clinton miller » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:21 pm

perry- before chemical tanning this was the method used by commercial tannery's so i'm sure it takes embossing and such just fine. as for colour, the modern leather is dyed to look like this stuff.