Value...+

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

kimall

Value...+

#1 Post by kimall » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:00 pm

I ordered a Martin Jag recurve before Xmas from the US and it arrived today.I have only shot about a doz arrows but for the price this thing rocks.It has a crap string on it so I will make a 8125 string which should make it a bit quieter but it must be the best value bow on the market.The best $200 I have ever spent I rekon including postage brand new with warranty.
Cant wait to play around a bit with it on the w/end.
Cheers KIM

Gringa Bows

Re: Value...+

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:50 pm

gee thats cheap $200 with postage, :) ...............Rod

kimall

#3 Post by kimall » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Well I have had a chance to run the little bow through its paces now and I am very impressed to say the least.
The string on it was rubbish so I made a 8125 12 strand string with 18 strand loops and with a bit of thread tape on the limb bolts and a couple of string leeches on it the bow now is quiet and smooth with arrow speed up to 180fps with 600 gain arrows through the chrony.I would say if you are keen to give trad bows a go this has to be the best buy around at the moment.
Cheers KIM

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Kim what poundage was the bow you got..............Rod

kimall

#5 Post by kimall » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Its 55 mate the highest it comes in I think.
Cheers KIM

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:13 pm

in the time honoured tradition.......pix?

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

clinton miller

#7 Post by clinton miller » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:02 pm

600grs at 180fps from a 55# bow....that's shmokin!

martin has always been a great budget bow.

we need pics! :!:
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

kimall

#8 Post by kimall » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Yer it punches well above its weight I will do some pics toomorrow as I was just too busy shooting it today.
Cheers KIM

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:18 pm

your right Kim it would be great value for someone who want to get into trad bowing :wink: ...............Rod

Chase N. Nocks

#10 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Kimall, what rest did you put on the bow?

It comes with a free rest which is actually pretty horrible. But mine also came with a string AND bow stringer..45lb. Yet to have a shot.

Dropping in bow weight a little as I need to work on my back tension. Handle is bigger than I expected.

Still seems like a good knock about bow for the price.

Cheers

Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

M.Hogan

#11 Post by M.Hogan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 pm

kimall

#12 Post by kimall » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:05 pm

Thats the one mate but shop around they can be found a fair bit cheaper here in Auz than that. :wink:
Cheers KIM

perry

#13 Post by perry » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:07 pm

3 piece take down bows are remarkable value these day's. I'm sure I've seen that riser before, cant place it but it sets my mind to a Martin riser from the 80's. You could make up a form Kim and produce your own limbs.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

M.Hogan

#14 Post by M.Hogan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:08 am

I heard that the left over risers from the Jaguar compund bow were used for this recurve.

Chase N. Nocks

#15 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 am

That is what I thought and the fact that the riser is drilled and tapped to take a cable guard I think pretty much confirms it. But Perry I can guarantee, it ain't no Pinnacle. But it is what it is, a functional cheap bow.

Following on from Kim's quick review...

Mine came with standard string (but I will be getting his Royal Highness "String King" to make me some new strings in a couple of weeks) and also with a recurve bow stringer. Not high quality but a nice touch and still a bit of a bonus. Oh and the string already has a brass nocking point installed so you could pretty much assemble and start shooting if you have the arrows to suit. Did not come with the allen key needed to fit the limbs but have plenty at home....just meant that I wasn't able to assemble it at work...poor impatient me.

Feels Ok in the hand and balances quite well. Curious if Kimall is shooting his off the shelf as it is cut way past centre..if he is I'd like to know how. Otherwise it comes with a functional plastic adjustable arrow rest but a decent rest would improve it's shooting I imagine. Don't have a spare and not going to rob the compound of it's rest.

I'll wait for a new string before fitting silencers. Going to try the bow out today. 45lb@28 so for me it should be about 42@27..got some 2016 to throw out of it.

I don't want to mention a supplier that is not a sponsor of this site, (I think they deserve our custom) without Geoff's permission. But M.Hogan the dealer initials are AM and they are based in SA. very helpful and bow arrived 3 working days by post. About $290 dellivered.

Couple of things that I had to do to assemble the bow...Top limb would not go in. The molding cavity was not a uniform width and I had to sand a very small amount from each side of the limb to get it to go in...this self admission very probably voids a warrenty however examination of the riser with a set of calipers would show this to be true. Took maybe 1/2 a mm off each side, maybe less. 2nd problem, again top limb, the bolt hole was not drilled deep enough so I could not get the top limb bolt to wind down all the way so had to get the drill out and drill down about 5mm and all was good. There was no threading in the riser to damage as the limb bolts screw into a threaded steel gromet for each limb so all was good.

I'll be chucking some arrows out of it soon. Overall, despite the stuffing around and not finding too much humour in it last night (impatient remember) I am happy with it so far. Shooting it I hope to be as pleased as Kimall. Durability??? I have a Damon Howatt hunter still going strong after 30 years. I don't honestly expect the same but who knows, only time will bear witness.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

longbow steve

#16 Post by longbow steve » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 am

Hi Troy, the extra work that you have to do on them seems to occur regularly if you do a search on Martin Jaguar bow review. I think the Jaguar riser was the compound that was prone to snapping through the middle of the riser so hopefully recurve limbs will put less stress on them and make them a cheap modern trad bow option. Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:18 am

I don't want to mention a supplier that is not a sponsor of this site, (I think they deserve our custom) without Geoff's permission.
Troy,

There is no problem with mentioning any suppliers by name. However I will mention that Ozbow does not charge for advertising and the suppliers on our front page are there because they willingly and in some cases specifically cater to the Trad community and have been proven to give excellent service to their customers. They are there because their products and services are highly recommended.

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#18 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Jeff sorry about mis-spelling your name mate. :oops: at work and in a hurry.

I'll remember about the suppliers in the future as it's always good to pass on a lead or good service. I also appreciate the suppliers that have the trad community at heart and support with product and their time. Especially the ones that regularly post here and have a chat.

On that note, the supplier was Archery Mart, and I spoke to James.

cheers
"Shooting the Stickbow"

kimall

#19 Post by kimall » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:06 pm

Sorry guys I thought I had mentioned the rest I put a flipper rest on it.Perry I bought this bow for that exact reason as I have some recurve designs I have been working on and instead of making whole bows I can work on limbs only.Having an adjustable rest makes tuning so much easier when playing with limb design as I dont need to make new arrows each time I make differant limbs.I have to update on the longterm durability though as I have had limb fail in the last few days but I was experimenting with things that others would not normally do so I am not going to can the bow for that. :( Anyway I will make some new limbs soon.
Cheers KIM

perry

#20 Post by perry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:18 pm

Interesting fella's I tried looking around a little while back for suitable compound bow risers to retro fit with recurve limbs but no luck . Seems a reasonable way to arrive at a similar rersult

I have a static recurve limb form 3/4 finished, just need to fabricate the side supports. This form is aimed at making my own ILF limbs though

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin