Need For A New Recurve

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Need For A New Recurve

#1 Post by greybeard » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:52 pm

I have always had a soft spot for my old three piece Black Widow 58" bow produced sometime during the 70's, but the metal riser made it a physically heavy bow.

Between workshops I made up a form [similar to the shape of the takedown] for a one piece recurve and the pictures show the end result. Options for a takedown could be a possibilty.

The handle is made from Tasmanian Blackwood with hard rock maple accent strips. Laminating the handle should help in minimising handle warp. The limb core is hard rock maple under .040 brown glass.

The bow is 60" n to n and the draw weight is 45# @ 28". Utilising a forward handle and static tip design maintains a lower string angle and allows for a smooth draw to 31".

Daryl.
Attachments
Recurve 001.jpg
Recurve 001.jpg (11.16 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
Recurve 004.jpg
Recurve 004.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
Recurve 005.jpg
Recurve 005.jpg (12.91 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
Recurve 007.jpg
Recurve 007.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
Last edited by greybeard on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Glenn

Re: Need For A New Recurve

#2 Post by Glenn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:57 pm

I like the lines of tha recurve Daryl, I bet she's a shooter...Glenn...

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:13 pm

very nice Daryl,is the glass on the back one piece or did you but two half lengths together...............Rod

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Very nice, Sir! :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

piggy

#5 Post by piggy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Looks great I hope it shoot as good as it looks, well done

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Looks very nice.

Jeff

Night Wing

#7 Post by Night Wing » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:02 pm

That's a real nice bow. I've got a soft spot for limbs covered in black glass.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 185 fps. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 174 fps. GPP: 11.37

excelpoint

#8 Post by excelpoint » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:44 am

Very nice :)

stringnstik

#9 Post by stringnstik » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:42 am

I do like the flowing lines in that design and yes black glass looks spiffy!!
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

longbow steve

#10 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:48 am

Yes Daryl, very nice. If I were to make a recurve it would be along those lines.
Steve

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:25 am

My $0:02

The bow looks better in the flesh than the photos. It shoots very nice, there is just the slightest buzz after the arrow has been shot as the string vibrates and its performance is probably a bit better than expected. The handle grip fits Daryl perfectly - it only took about a week for him to get it "Just Right".
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:42 am

Hey Grahame, seen it unfinished and would have to agree :D .
It is beleived that the quietest recurves have a hook in the recurve at brace height rather than the recurve being somewhat open. Steve

Alex

#13 Post by Alex » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:53 am

Good job Daryl.
Nice lines, it really look like a fast shooter.
A lot of recurve in this one, but with the handle being that forward it wouldn't have any stacking problems.
Did you reinforced the belly limb tips as well ?
Alex.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:14 am

The limb core is hard rock maple under .040 brown glass.
:D

Jeff

pdccr

#15 Post by pdccr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:14 am

I like the handle shape, its nice and curved. :D
Cheers, Toby

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:32 pm

Daryl,did you use parralel lams.in the limb cores. :?: ..........................Rod

Al Kidner

#17 Post by Al Kidner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:00 pm

A fine effort mate, well done. Looks like an old Bob Lee "Thunderbird".

ak.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by greybeard » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Alex

The tips on the belly side are reinforced for approximately 5" with a thin lamination of wood and .040 clear glass. This was done to help maintain a static tip.

Rod

The glass and thin parallel lamination on the back of the bow are full length. The belly laminations have a slight taper. Core thickness was a bit of a guesstimation and I happened to be lucky in that my guess was correct for the poundage I required.
I have kept samples of the core laminations which should be helpful in determining other draw weights.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Ausarcher

#19 Post by Ausarcher » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:36 am

Very nice looking bow, the shape of the grip and shelf look good.

rodlonq

#20 Post by rodlonq » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Great looking bow Daryl. Very nicely done indeed.

Rod

Chase N. Nocks

#21 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:05 am

Darryl, that is just beautiful. I have always had a real thing for the deep recurve bows and the little Black Widow takedown was love at first sight..from that to the Red Wing Hunter (sadly no longer available) to the Bear Kodiak Mag and Supermag I find their lines exquisite, almost birdlike.

Yours is 60 AMO but I thought the little Black Widow was something like 54 AMO...but I have not seen one for 20+ yeras.

The other bow you made that I fell in love with at first sight was the little Italian Recurve??? I think it was.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

otis.drum

#22 Post by otis.drum » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:55 pm

i love the little kick in the riser belly above and bellow the hand, the fine lams in the handle and pointy forward handle. also the large sight window. it is decieving in the photos and looks very much (in shape and size) like the bear kodiak magnum i had, but is obviously bigger.

i didn't like brown glass when i was working with it as it gave a real purple maroon colour when cut of sanded. but once finished it comes out a beautiful colour. i really like the brown now.

is the 5" reinforcing on the tips under or above the belly glass daryl?

do you plan to make many more bows on the same form or do you have the luxury of making a form for use on just one bow.
...otis...

Chase N. Nocks

#23 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:53 pm

otis.drum wrote:i love the little kick in the riser belly above and bellow the hand, the fine lams in the handle and pointy forward handle. also the large sight window. it is decieving in the photos and looks very much (in shape and size) like the bear kodiak magnum i had, but is obviously bigger.
Ah stop it Otis, I'll be needing a cold shower next...but yes I was surprised at the 60 AMO because as you say it's style makes it seem much shorter.

otis.drum wrote: i didn't like brown glass when i was working with it as it gave a real purple maroon colour when cut of sanded. but once finished it comes out a beautiful colour. i really like the brown now.

is the 5" reinforcing on the tips under or above the belly glass daryl?

do you plan to make many more bows on the same form or do you have the luxury of making a form for use on just one bow.
Speaking about glass I did not like as a young bloke but now lament it's unavailability especially for longbows and that is green and white glass. Lovely, classy and classic.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

perry

#24 Post by perry » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm disappointed it's shiny :roll:

Looks nice :D

What ! No carbon lams Daryl :lol:

Top work mate, like how you load up the mid limb and used static tips on a shorter bow, creates nice string angles for a smooth draw. Cant quite tell the length of the fadeout's, they don't look overly long, interesting due to the length of the riser and how far forword the grip is. Hope to catch you next weekend for a gasbag and show and tell.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#25 Post by GrahameA » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi Troy.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:The other bow you made that I fell in love with at first sight was the little Italian Recurve??? I think it was.
This one is nicer. :D

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8614
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Chase N. Nocks

#26 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:21 pm

perry wrote:I'm disappointed it's shiny :roll:

Looks nice :D

What ! No carbon lams Daryl :lol:

Top work mate, like how you load up the mid limb and used static tips on a shorter bow, creates nice string angles for a smooth draw. Cant quite tell the length of the fadeout's, they don't look overly long, interesting due to the length of the riser and how far forword the grip is. Hope to catch you next weekend for a gasbag and show and tell.

regards Jacko
So what are we doing this weekend. :wink: I wanna perve as well.
"Shooting the Stickbow"

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#27 Post by greybeard » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Troy,

My three piece Black Widow is 58" n to n. I purposely went to 60" n to n to give some leeway because I was flying blind. It was dumb luck that the bow ended up at 45# which was the weight I wanted.

I am making a new form for the Italian design, a little bit shorter but maintaining the curves. The softer recurve was designed for the "lady archer". The plus for the design is that it is smooth through the draw cycle, low string to tip angle which eliminates stack and no nasties in the hand.

Otis,

The tip overlays are outside the belly glass. Originally I was not going to put the overlays on the bow but the recurve was opening too much at an extended draw [31"]. Adding the overlays stiffened the tips and made the limb tip action more like an Asiatic static tip bow.

I have a new bow planed off the same form with a different riser, about 1½" less forward. The back glass and lamination will not be full length. If the design works I will try a three piece takedown bow. It will be a bonus if I can make three different styles of bow off the one form. I love experimenting. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Perry,

If you put your sunnies on it's not too shiny.

What ! No carbon lams Daryl

I asked the question and the research and answers confirmed my thoughts. Carbon used in a bow of sound design may show some performance gains but if an archer has crappy undisciplined form nothing will save them. Carbon is not the magic bullet.
Re the fadeouts, because of the amount of deflex in the bow design the fadeouts do not need to be excessive but the transition into the limbs has to be handled with due respect.

Daryl.

In a weak moment I sold the recurve, but as I tell people I can always make another one.
[Ascham]