Strongbow is no more

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

BenBow

Strongbow is no more

#1 Post by BenBow » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:40 am

Guess I can't leave things alone. Had the longbow limb blanks that I converted to limbs for my metal riser. Well I had some rosewood and maple scraps laying around and I just couldn't help myself. Now those limbs are on a forward handled longbow.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:06 pm

Not in my wildest dreams would I call that a longbow but at least you shoot the arras off the correct side. :wink: :D

Jeff

BenBow

#3 Post by BenBow » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:21 pm

Here's a picture of it drawn around 27". Creeped a bit before the wife got the pic taken. Feels like 48-52# and is 62" ntn. Man I've always seemed to be on the far out fringe. :roll: :lol:

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:00 pm

BenBow

Is there a reason why you've made the riser so bulky? I suppose the added weight would make the bow very stable to shoot. I think I'd prefer something a little less bulky myself though, especially if I had to carry it around much. :) How does it shoot?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

MrRecurve

#5 Post by MrRecurve » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:56 pm

At least you got rid of that heinous metal riser.

Having said that, you've done a great job at copying Widow and Habu with the timber riser! Still not my cup of tea, but looks 100% better than the wharf bow.
Walk softly and carry a bent stick............

BenBow

#6 Post by BenBow » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 pm

Mick because the limb attachment bolts are at the end of the riser the riser had to be bulked up to keep them from pulling through the wood. I like the look of a slim bow myself but wanted to try this to see what happened. Need to make a new string with fast flight. Haven't had a chance to take it outside to shoot yet but seems pretty good in the garage. Dang, MrRecurve I was thinking of a way to make a metal rise like this. :lol: :lol:
Getting my one piece form ready to go so will post a skinny bow when I get one made.

perry

#7 Post by perry » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Often wondered about this style of takedown flatbow . Wonder how much slimmer a riser with the limbs mounted on the belly side of it such as yours would be if the bolts came through from the back of the riser and the limbs had the nut inserts glued in place . Perhaps would have to use 2 limb bolts per limb . regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

BenBow

#8 Post by BenBow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:05 am

Perry that is what I did with this riser/limb attachment. I used a brass 3/8" threaded bushing designed to screw into a 1/2" hole in wood to keep the bolt from pulling through the riser. The 5/16" limb bolt slides through the 3/8" threaded hole. Here's a rough drawing of how I did it. The picture doesn't show the 1/4" guide pin to keep the limb straight.
Last edited by BenBow on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenBow

#9 Post by BenBow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:08 am

Still need to come up with something to cover the limb bolt holes in the riser. May do something with antler.