Time Team episode

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

archangel

Time Team episode

#1 Post by archangel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:35 pm

Did anyone else watch the episode on Time Team this week? They were uncovering the site of a medieval castle - fascinating archeology, but in keeping with their recreation of ancient artefacts, they got a boywer to make an English longbow. It was classically cut in one day from a stave of seasoned yew, tipped with horn nocks and had a wrapped leather handle. The archer thought it was around 60lbs, at least half that of the old warbows. He fletched one arrow using goose feathers and a bodkin head was forged for the pile. When shot from around 20 metres, it split a chainmail vest hung over a 3D pig. Later in the show, they had a speed-shoot against a crossbow - unfortunately the arrows weren't trad fletched but the longbow still won by 10:4. Great show - love the old Cornish accent of one of the team.
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

Steven J

#2 Post by Steven J » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:17 pm

We love that show in our house. I often watch it as I am running about getting ready for attendance at our archery club on Tuesday nights. It is a good way to encourage my 4 year old to eat her dinner as she loves watching the show so much. She made me buy her a pointing trowel from the hardware so she could play Time Team in the garden. We recently added some topsoil from our garden. The soil had obviously come from an old building site as Brownwyn was finding 'finds' all afternoon of coins, pottery, etc... (it was pretty rough top-soil)

We did some chainmaile tests at school on my maille shirt. A standard fieldpoint from a 30lb bow penetrated about 1" up the shaft shot at 10m.

Go Time Team!

Steve

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:40 am

The bowyer was Steve Ralphs (note: Ralphs not Ralph - he does get tichy about it.)

He has done a huge amount of work as Archery Supplier, Coach and Advisor in the film world and even had a 10 second part in Gladiator. He is the guy shooting the flaming arrow to signal the attack in the early part of the film.

http://www.steveralphs.com/web2.html

WRT Crossbow vs. Longbow. The rate of fire disparity may not have been as great as that.

Did you also notice that the Crossbow used a simple peg release. Very early design.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Len

#4 Post by Len » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:34 am

Most tests of arrows v chainmaille are flawed as they usually have inferior maille or no padding used with it which makes a huge difference. Remember that in the crusades the turkish horsebows were pretty ineffective against western armour, which tells us a few things; that the turks were shooting light arrows to get long range , partly because they feared the knights hand to hand ability and that 12th C. maille was far better quality then most modern repros. Also they combined a good layer of padding which is vital to maille being effective.
I recently saw some tests done with swords against maille&padded akerton and none of the swords used ( longsword, Japenese katarna & roman gladius )could cut through it. The only sword to get through was the longsword when thrust two-handed.However a 75lb bow just shooting target arrows did penertrate so it seems that arrows do perform better then swords against maille but you do need a decent draw wieght bow.
I reckon a 10-4 rate of fire sounds about right for longbow V crossbow as most crosbows would tire out the shooter pretty darned quick if not using a mechanical spanning device which in itself would slow you down.
Hmmmmmmm.............