What do you use to glue your nocks on?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

What do you use to glue your nocks on?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:03 pm

I've nearly always used Fletchtite glue to affix my plastic nocks to my wooden shafts. From time to time, I've had problems with the nocks coming off, particularly when the arrow strikes a hard surface.

I don't know if they've changed the formula in Fletchtite or what, but just recently I've had 6 nocks come off my arrows. I had 4 come off while competing in the Dunolly traditional shoot last weekend and most of these arrows hit nothing harder than the bales. I lost another 2 just today, hunting bunnies. Admittedly the ground was very hard, but they should stay on better than this, surely. :?

I do go to a lot of trouble, when making my arrows, in a bid to ensure the nocks stay in place. I always roughen the nock taper with a series of shallow cuts, done with a sharp knife. I use plenty of Fletchtite glue. I twist them around to ensure a good glue coverage, before aligning them with the grain in the timber. I don't know what else I can do. :?

Maybe I should try using Araldite again for my nocks. I used to use Araldite all the time, but it's inconvenient to use and it doesn't 'bond' with the plastic in the same way that Fletchtite does. Fletchtite should work better than it does.

What's the solution? I don't notice other people walking around all the time with nockless arrows in their backquiver like I do. :( :)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Coach

#2 Post by Coach » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:21 pm

Loctite 401/406 ,, they wont be coming off :wink:

Jeffro

#3 Post by Jeffro » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:22 pm

Tarzans grip

UPTHETOP

#4 Post by UPTHETOP » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:25 pm

Mick I use devcon 2 ton ,and sand the inside of the nock with a small peace of 120grid sandpaper. It takes a little while to dry but havnt had any part with my wooden shafts yet.

Cheers
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

FORRO

#5 Post by FORRO » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:32 pm

Tarzans Grip
Keith

jcm

nock not bonding

#6 Post by jcm » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:16 pm

Interesting one.
I have used Fletch tite but use super glue industrial (batch made up by my glue and vane supplier) on most nocks.
Have come across the nock drop off after the nock is glued with Fletch tite put it down to a bad batch or the nock material not being compatible with the glue. Maybe going back to the tried and true glue .
John

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas!! :wink:

I hadn't thought of using Tarzan's Grip. I reckon super glue would work well too. I see we have a variety of glues that people use, other than Fletchtite.

I might even try sanding the inside of the nocks like UPTHETOP does, if I get desperate enough.

When I make up my next set of arrows, I plan to make them with self-nocks with a hardwood insert. Those little blighters won't be coming off in a hurry. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

bowshu

#8 Post by bowshu » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:03 am

hey guy`s i have just started making my own arrows and have been put onto loctite 454 gel it is good for fletching very quick but expensive but if you want a cheap one I went to a dollar shop and picked up some superglue for $1 a bottle (25ml) which I used for glueing the nocks only too thin glue line for feathers

Hood

#9 Post by Hood » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:21 am

Same as Coach here.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

gary p

#10 Post by gary p » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:56 am

hi mick, the other weekend i was at a shoot my friend who i was shooting with had all of his nocks bar one fall off on the first day he uses fletch tite, that is the sort of thing you dont want to happen in the middle of a comp. i have used araldite for 33 years on nocks never have i had trouble.gaz.
One crowed hour of glorious life
is worth an age without a name.

Poppy

#11 Post by Poppy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:27 am

Hi I use Tarzan Grip it holds on in all weather conditions and if a nock is damaged it's easy to remove and clean the end of the arrow.

bowshu. I've tried the cheap superglue but I found in the wet it will loose its bond and flake off.

BTW I use 5min Araldite for the points and b/heads. Heat them up and they are easy to remove or replace.

Cheers
Paul

bowshu

#12 Post by bowshu » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:57 am

Thanks for that info poppy I will give the cheap stuff the flick lucky I have only made a few arrows will keep an eye on them when we get some wet weather out here

Cheers Mark

Abaci

#13 Post by Abaci » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:09 am

Araldite epoxy... Matt and I mix it up on some cardboard, lightly coat the tapered part of the shaft and 'screw' on the nocks... I've never had a nock or point come off because of the glue (bad shooting into target frames breaks my arrows before the nock or point will come off)... Matt has never had one come off either and he shoots that tomahawk bow which I think is 55# @ 28 and he's a 29" draw...

You just have to make sure that you have everything ready when you do it as you only have around 5 minutes before the epoxy will dry on the cardboard.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

White Hawk

nock glue

#14 Post by White Hawk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:41 am

I swear by Tarzans grip, it drys fast so you can start fletching quickly, it is cheap to buy, and you only need a small amount to get a good hold.
I have never had a nock come of with this, ever, the only way I have had nocks come of is to have them shot off.

Jungle glue is the way to go!
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same