student workshop

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

archangel

student workshop

#1 Post by archangel » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:38 pm

Started the first bowmaking workshop with five of my students today. Our school is an agricultural college which caters for residential students in their last two years. Most of our students will move into apprenticeships either in trades or agriculture. After an initial briefing, they got stuck in and worked well for two hours.

The bow they are making is basically a bamboo backed, D/R laminated longbow. We are using two laminations of vertical flooring and one WA karri, a really stringy native hardwood. I had prepared all of the laminations before hand to save time, tapering each one on our industrial planer. Today they cut and shaped their riser from a block of jarrah, then thinned down the bamboo backing. Next week ... they will start glueing up using a simple block-and-board setup.
Attachments
P1010011.JPG
P1010011.JPG (82.24 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
p1010001.JPG
p1010001.JPG (81.68 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
p1010006.JPG
p1010006.JPG (85.08 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

archangel

#2 Post by archangel » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:54 pm

Few more pics of the guys in action .. their skills are quite well honed and as their maths teacher, it really is an awesome experience to see them working in activities beyond the normal class environment.
Attachments
P1010011.JPG
P1010011.JPG (60.99 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
workshop4_156[1].jpg
workshop4_156[1].jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
P1010003.JPG
P1010003.JPG (66.04 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:39 pm

Hi David,
You are doing a fantastic job getting the younger ones involved in a project such as this. I'll bet that they are enjoying every minute of the project.
I wish my workshop was that big. :D

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Steven J

#4 Post by Steven J » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:07 pm

Well done Archangel,

I have just come of lunch which I have spent making bows with three other lads here at school. Two of the boys are making stave bows from Black Wattle, and one of the boys is making a board bow from a generic piece of hardwood. The board bow is for his history assignment. He is only intending a fairly modest draw weight of about 25lb so even the unknown timber should suffice.

It has been much harder going for the boys making stave bows. There is so much more timber to remove to get the bow to floor tiller. I think that I should follow your lead and either stick with board bows or laminated bows in the future. The two lads with the stave bows are also ready to start making some fiberglass laminated bows during their class time in Wood Tech.

We will keep building on Friday. I will try to get some photos to post then.

Steve

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:11 pm

Hi Steven J,
I bet the boys are enjoying making their own bows.
It is indeed refreshing to see people such as yourself and Dave going the extra distance to help the youth of today.
All the best with the project.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Hood

#6 Post by Hood » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Now why oh why couldn't my teacher be so nice as to do a project like this when I was at school :(

Way to go looks like the boys are having a great time.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Graeme K

#7 Post by Graeme K » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:35 pm

Hi Archangel
Great to see someone passing on the skills --- the kids probably don,t realise how lucky they are and will only understandthat you gave them something of great value in the years to come.

Graeme

archangel

#8 Post by archangel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:28 am

To all,

Thanks for the encouraging feedback. These young guys have been the envy of 80 other students who did not get picked. I guess I would have to say that virtually all of the knowledge I'm passing on has been picked up from this website. In that regard, I want to acknowledge the fine thread posted by Jeff (Stickbow) in 2005 showing the making of a bamboo backed bow as the original source of inspiration. I have reprinted the post as our teaching reference manual. Here is the thread for this topic:
http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... buildalong

Steve J - I have also found that having 5-6 guys at once is just about the optimum number. For Occ Health & Safety regulations, I have another staff member around from our D&T department.
Great to see someone passing on the skills --- the kids probably don't realise how lucky they are and will only understand that you gave them something of great value in the years to come
Quite right Graeme... it's pretty awesome to think that many years from now, the knowledge that we are sharing here in this forum is being passed on to yet another generation of curious net-searchers.
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

archangel

#9 Post by archangel » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:51 pm

The materials being used for the students' bows are shown below. Raw bamboo backing will be shaped and tapered, then glued over the three mid-laminations later on. This two stage glueing makes it easier to get the curves using bocks of wood. It was decided to go with deflexed handle and slightly reflexed limbs as an easier build.
Attachments
workshop 01.jpg
workshop 01.jpg (54.56 KiB) Viewed 2073 times

archangel

#10 Post by archangel » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:59 pm

The method used to achieve a suitable taper for the laminations was simple: a length of pine board with strips of sandpaper taped over each other to provide the right amount of reduction. The bamboo lamination was held by the grip of the sandpaper and the board was sent through the planer/thicknesser a few times until the correct taper was reached. Keeping the settings for each lamination allowed consistency to be maintained.
Attachments
Who wishes they had this in their workshop back home??
Who wishes they had this in their workshop back home??
workshop 02.jpg (51.85 KiB) Viewed 2065 times

Coach

#11 Post by Coach » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:18 pm

Good on you Archangel :D Maybe in years to come we will have some Bowyers to supply some custom bows :)
Just let me know when ya want those strings :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Great to see David. As has been said, those lads are fortunate to have a teacher willing to spend the time with them to build these bows. I look forward to seeing the progress.

Jeff

archangel

#13 Post by archangel » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:34 am

More progress made this week on the student's bows. Some had glued their laminations and handle last week and cleaned the edges and back for the raw bamboo. They used rubber strips to hold the bamboo in place and squeeze out any excess glue. TheThe other students prepared their laminations and glued up using the block and clamp method shown earlier. Despite advice about limiting the amount of deflex/reflex built into the limbs, a few have made theirs fairly radical and it will interesting to see how they perform. It's high maintenance having six teenagers at one time on the project but the guys are having a good time however and we're learning as we go!! :roll: More to come to next week ...
Attachments
P1010031.JPG
P1010031.JPG (89.43 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
P1010032.JPG
P1010032.JPG (76.08 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
P1010033.JPG
P1010033.JPG (83.86 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

yeoman

#14 Post by yeoman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:44 pm

That's good to see. Watch out rabbits in the school yard, eh?

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

archangel

#15 Post by archangel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:03 pm

Few more pictures, to show that the workshops are still running. Damn frustrating to only work two hours per week. However the guys are learning more every time and starting to see real bows emerging from the sawdust and shavings. We have floor tillered a couple after the raw bamboo backing had been added ... very powerful - just shows how potent bamboo can be, even when it's shaved down very thin. Lots of scraping from the belly to get them back to drawable weight. Next week we start work on their arrows - I have decided to include feather splicing for the guys who like the challenge.
Attachments
Checking out the flex without the bamboo backing.
Checking out the flex without the bamboo backing.
2007_14.jpg (72.51 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Shaping the handle and cleaning up the excess epoxy from the limbs.
Shaping the handle and cleaning up the excess epoxy from the limbs.
2007_12.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Centre line on the back to taper the limbs back to size.
Centre line on the back to taper the limbs back to size.
2007_13.jpg (76.43 KiB) Viewed 1846 times

archangel

#16 Post by archangel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:09 pm

Yeoman wrote:
That's good to see. Watch out rabbits in the school yard, eh
Sorry Dave, missed your comment. Being right out in the country (WA wheatbelt) our back paddocks are covered rabbits after dusk. There could be a few less bunnies (and foxes) once these guys start getting arrows on the target.