hardwood footed shafts

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

CameronPotter

#61 Post by CameronPotter » Fri May 06, 2005 2:24 pm

Thanks Buford.

As for being the same colour, isn't differing colours generally thought of as a good thing? If not, why not just make your arrows out of a hardwood to begin with? Weight?

Also, has anyone tried Red Cedar?

Cam

Buford

#62 Post by Buford » Fri May 06, 2005 2:28 pm

Weight is one reason but i usually only foot a shaft after it has been broken off close to the point, to re use it.
(i think i mentioned this before?)

It's not too often i make up footed shafts from the begining, the ones i will make this weekend are an exception, they are being made for somebody else.

buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

CameronPotter

#63 Post by CameronPotter » Fri May 06, 2005 2:35 pm

Ahhh. I must have missed that.

I have looked at the cresting link, but I have never seen a cresting machine. I assume that it is basically a drill and a rest?

I hope your new arras turn out nicely.

Cam
Last edited by CameronPotter on Fri May 06, 2005 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buford

#64 Post by Buford » Fri May 06, 2005 2:35 pm

here is a link to another topic from a while back with some more cresting related stuff. :wink: on about page 3 & halfway down page4 are pics of my cresting machine.
http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

CameronPotter

#65 Post by CameronPotter » Fri May 06, 2005 4:42 pm

Just more bandwidth traffic to try to bankrupt Erron... :wink:

Do you need a fletching jig?

Those links you posted pretty much sorts out cresting!

Thanks for all your help Buford.

Cam

ps Love the intentional spackle design. Have it you tried it again since? Did it work?

Buford

#66 Post by Buford » Fri May 06, 2005 6:19 pm

CameronPotter wrote:
Love the intentional spackle design. Have it you tried it again since? Did it work?
:lol:
nah, took too long that one. Bout 5 - 6 different colour levels, too much drying time. :wink:

i have some close up pics of the motor set up of the cresting machine in my personal gallery if your interested.

buford

archangel

how-to marbling

#67 Post by archangel » Fri May 06, 2005 9:05 pm

I got so interested in cresting machines I posted this message in the wrong thread. Here are some tips for how to do marbling ... although usually done on paper, you could easily make this work on timber shafts. If you use acrylic paints, you would need to cover with fixative (like hair spray) then varnish or seal with clear spray.

Psychedelic Marbling Paint
liquid starch, acrylic paints, water

Pour starch into shallow pan. Drop acrylic paint into starch. Make wavy patterns in paint. Carefully turn shaft around on the surface of the starch bath. Carefully lift up and put in water bath to remove extra starch. Let dry.

Enamels on water
Another method involves using enamel paints thinned with turps and slowly poured into a water bath. Two or more colours can be swirled together to make some interesting patterns. As above, rotate the shaft slowly along the surface and the floating paint will produce the marbling effect.

Aerosol effects
These next ideas came from a mural project I helped run in Perth with graffiti artists. Splattering is achieved by lowering the pressure on a spray can by placing a small wad of paper or cardboard under the stem of the nozzle. Shoe colour aerosols (Tana) are ideal with their array of colours. Spraying enamel straight over a different colour acrylic will also achieve a splattering or marbling effect.

Buford

#68 Post by Buford » Sat May 07, 2005 1:35 pm

wrc.555 wrote:Yes, PO cedar. i use that combination because they are close in colour.
:) I might stain one or the other in this batch though so the difference shows up better in the pics. :wink:

buford
decided to make half a doz with some of the brush box i got yesterday instead of staining. I will start a new topic with some progress pics. :wink: