New Indoor Arrow Backstop.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

New Indoor Arrow Backstop.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:42 pm

The backstop is made from 100x16mm treated pine palings and 35x70 pine framing.
To save on filling material, foamed neoprene [wetsuit material] styrene from broccoli boxes and corrugated cardboard was used around the inner edges of the frame.
Carpet was used to hold the fill in place; the carpet area being 83cm wide and 87cm high.
Swivel castors make it easy to move the backstop and the rear castors have a brake to stop it moving when in use. When not in use it can be stored against a wall.

Daryl.
Arrow Backstop.jpg
Arrow Backstop.jpg (126.67 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: New Indoor Arrow Backstop.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:50 am

Looks great Daryl. I hope the styrofoam won't melt onto the arrows. Also you will only be shooting lighter bow & arrow combos I guess as it isn't very thick?

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:56 am

Jeff,

The cardboard and styrene on the outer is to catch the odd stray arrow when setting up the shooting machine for testing different bow weights, arrow mass and measuring velocity.
The 30cm deep void is filled with wetsuit off cuts and can handle heavier weight bows.

Daryl.
Fill.jpg
Fill.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 3670 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:32 pm

That's thicker than I thought it was. Looks a good filling.

Jeff