first stave, Spotted gum

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

DrAK DaRippa

first stave, Spotted gum

#1 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:34 pm

this is my first attempt at cutting out a whole stave. i've been very excited to try it and have air dried this log until it wouldn't lose weight for a month or two and now it's ready to be hacked at. i used wedges to split it, as i've decided this can be an exercise in hand tools(as i'm quite a novice), i've recently got a draw knife but no draw horse, so i'm kinda struggling to use it effectively, even though it's not quite time to be using it, i'm still machete shaping the sides.

the right split of the log was very clean and i hope to use it as a backing for something else one day.
lower on the limb on the left side was cut, but even still has a few knots. unfortunately one big knot in the middle of each limb. they are the only real flaws that i'll have to try to tiller around carefully.

at the moment i'm trying to correct this snaking that the stave does along it's length.
i've read that leaving some snaking is ok, but i'd still like it to be looking even before i reduce the belly

as for what it's supposed to look like, well i'm thinking of a flatbow design because i presume it's easier.
i've been thinking about trying to glue sinew on the back to insure the knots a little, but i'll worry about that when it's ready for tillering

it's about 68" in length too, i figure it'll be less working stress on the limbs if it's longer
Attachments
DSC_0105.jpg
DSC_0105.jpg (164.38 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
DSC_0119.jpg
DSC_0119.jpg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
DSC_0118.jpg
DSC_0118.jpg (165.93 KiB) Viewed 1639 times

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: first stave, Spotted gum

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:50 pm

DrAK

Unless your stave has well defined growth rings the draw knife may not be very effective on the back of the stave. A rasp and scraper may work better at the task.

Is the snaking back to belly or edge to edge because it does not appear too evident in the photos.

Steam is my preferred method for straightening staves.

A rectangular or lenticular cross section is probably the better option for Australian hardwoods.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

DrAK DaRippa

#3 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks Daryl, the snaking was occurring edge to edge, and i've cut through it a little to straighten it up but it's still a little visible in the centre.
The back of the stave seems very uneven, kinda propellor twisting to and fro, but normalising up at the tips.
i'm not sure if trying to correct this is unnecessary, i may just leave it.

i think i'll try the lens shaped limbs, it seems attractive, and i can see how it would be beneficial.
I'll have some new photo's up when i shape this out a little more

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:10 am

DrAK DaRippa wrote:the snaking was occurring edge to edge, and i've cut through it a little to straighten it up but it's still a little visible in the centre.
If the stave has a little snaking this should not be a problem if the string lays down the centre of the handle.

Although a piece of timber may be seasoned I have found that it can ‘move’ as the cross section dimensions are reduced.

When this happens I put the piece to one side for three or four days until it stabilizes.
DrAK DaRippa wrote:The back of the stave seems very uneven, kinda propellor twisting to and fro, but normalising up at the tips.
Could it be that the stave has an uneven crown?

A minor propeller twist should not be a problem, with a major twist the bow could de-string as it is taken to full draw.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....