Osage orange bow on ebay

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Osage orange bow on ebay

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:09 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OSAGE-ORANGE ... RTM1582223

Would you pay nearly $300 for this bow?

I like it, because it makes my bad tillering look good, in comparison. :lol:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Osage orange bow on ebay

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:48 pm

That is a shocker for sure Mick!!! :shock:

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:15 pm

It is amazing the amount of crap products people try to flog on eBay.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:36 pm

That's a bad hinge on the top limb. :surprised: The seller has quite a few bows on sale, including some ELB's made using osage orange. I wonder how an ELB made of osage would go? I would image the growth rings would have to violated to achieve the required shape. Anyway, I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy one. :smile:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:07 pm

Mick Smith wrote: I wonder how an ELB made of osage would go?
No problems at all Mick. I have had such a bow for many years. I have shot field rounds with it and have also taken game with it.

Jeff

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Evening Mick
Mick Smith wrote:... The seller has quite a few bows on sale, including some ELB's made using osage orange. I wonder how an ELB made of osage would go? ...
I would not buy the Flatbow. IMHO It does not look the best.

WRT English style of longbows I would have no concerns about buying them provided I could inspect the bow first - I always have some level of concern about buying bows that I cannot touch, feel and shoot prior to handing over the dollars. ELB style bows made from Osage are fine provided they are well made - I would suggest that applies to all bows.

If the Osage is a tad knobbly then it would appear more like a Welsh longbow which were often made from Wych Elm. It all depends what sort of longbow you want.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Hamish

#7 Post by Hamish » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:46 am

Short answer is no.
Long answer, I don't think its a hinge. I have watched this guy for years. Him or his production workers don't heat correct the staves and they routinely co. me up some pretty weird looking braced and drawn profiles. They look to me like made to measurement bows, once roughed out, they don't get tillered properly to get an even limb strength(limb taper is usually okay though, not hingey).If the bow looks correct at brace and when drawn it is more by luck of the staves natural consistency, than the skill of the bowyer.
I regularly cringe when I see the quality of the tillering, and the butchering not only of osage, but of European yew(sometimes even top quality Italian yew). To be fair I have never held or shot one of this guys bows, but the pictures aren't giving me any confidence to purchase one of his bows even if the tiller looks okay.
There are quite a few good European bowyers, who occasionally sell on ebay UK. The prices are reasonable, tillering excellent. Hubris eye (Mike Roberts) is a top notch bowyer, very knowledgeable
as good as any you will come across. www.robertsbows.com ,I think.
There is also another guy, Kamil from Poland, not sure if he sells under that name, but he is also a fine bowyer too. His bow ads look similar to the Hungarian one, but Kamil really nails the tiller. Both the good bowyers use top notch material and are very reasonably priced. If I wasn't a bowyer myself I would be buying from these guys, so keep a look out if you want a decent European made bow at a good price.
Hamish.

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:09 am

Hi Hamish and Grahame

Nah, I was never really entertaining the idea of purchasing one. I came across the item on ebay while I was looking at osage staves. I posted the photo up so we could poke rubbish at the poor tillering, mainly to make me feel better about my lousy tillering skills. :lol:

Actually, I have just bought a 62 inch osage stave from the US which I plan to make into a Cherokee type bow. Hopefully I will do a better job this time around.