More Medieval Arrows

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

More Medieval Arrows

#1 Post by GrahameA » Tue May 31, 2011 9:49 am

Morning All.

The Medieval Fayre will be on in a few more weeks so a few weeks ago I decided to make some new arrows.

3/8" shafts with two flute footings plus 6" wedge shaped fletches in a a deep reed and fully bound to the shaft. The fletches were made by cutting the required length of feather (7"). Stripping a 1/2" at end end. Sticking some masking tape on them,marking out the fletch shape and cutting them with a sharp pair of scissors.

The shafts were made seperately and are 3/8 Ramin with a Eucalypt two flute foot. Shafts are barrelled. (Making footed shafts is such fun - not.)

So a few days later and. "Hey Presto", a new set of arrows to take to the Fayre. You just need a big bow to shoot them.
Img_4354.jpg
Img_4354.jpg (69.13 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
They are big Fletches.
Img_4353.jpg
Img_4353.jpg (58.54 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
The pointy end I will have to talk to my friend Karl about some more Bodkins. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

roscoe

Re: More Medieval Arrows

#2 Post by roscoe » Tue May 31, 2011 2:16 pm

Nice looking arrows there. Did they glue the feathers on then bind them or did they just bind them on in medieval times? Just wanted to know because i binded one arrow with no glue and they seemed ok. It would have been better to glue them, then bind. but i was trying to be authentic. Just wonted to know what authentic was, thanks..roscoe

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Bill » Tue May 31, 2011 3:38 pm

:) Nice looking arrows GrahameA: you do such fine work, so what are the chances of you doing a build along showing how you build such a fine footed arrow.
Are there any special tools, everyone says its easy, but no one will step up to the plate and show how easy it is. So will you please give it a go, thanks...........Bill

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Good job Grahame,how come no pink fletches :?: :D

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Tue May 31, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Bill.
Bill wrote::) Nice looking arrows GrahameA: you do such fine work, so what are the chances of you doing a build along showing how you build such a fine footed arrow.
Are there any special tools, everyone says its easy, but no one will step up to the plate and show how easy it is. So will you please give it a go, thanks...........Bill

Done.
http://bacchuswood.org/A&S/Period%20Ta ... otings.pdf

Roscoe.

They often used pitch or animal glue to tack the fletch in place. he fletch wold then be bound oer the top and i some cases coat with "Verado Greco" so the bindings would not rot.

Rod.

Pink was not fashionable in "Dayes of Olde". Red is really just another shade of Pink.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue May 31, 2011 8:18 pm

A lot of time put into making those Grahame; good onya!

Jeff

hazard

#7 Post by hazard » Tue May 31, 2011 8:43 pm

Man those fletches are going to be indestructible. Nice work.
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Bill » Tue May 31, 2011 10:24 pm

8) thanks GrahameA, I'm now ready to have a go...tomorrow..........Bill

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 pm

Tell me folks, is it common to use footed arrows in hunting situations, or are most people too worried about losing them, as I would be? I reckon the F.O.C. effect of the heavier, harder wood would make for good penetration.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

roscoe

#10 Post by roscoe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks Graham, Thats interesting to know, i will use glue next time. I will have to get my self some correct thread to bind with. I am going down to the Steve Stratton warbow weekend down in sunny Melbourne so i will have a chance to ask all of those questions then i suppose.....Roscoe

terryzac

#11 Post by terryzac » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:07 pm

nice job there grahame. when is abbey on this year

terry

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:47 am

Morning All.
terryzac wrote:nice job there grahame. when is abbey on this year

terry
9/10 July http://abbeytournament.com/

p.s. Hmmmm.... I knew there was a reason I owned a "Big Bow". :shock: I also knew there was a reason I say to myself after every Abbey event, "Practice with the Big Bow". :D
Grahame.

terryzac

#13 Post by terryzac » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:09 am

do you still have that big thing that i pulled back last year at abbey. i think it was 120#, felt like it

terry

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:16 am

terryzac wrote:do you still have that big thing that i pulled back last year at abbey. i think it was 120#, felt like it

terry
Tony certainly has - no way I intend to try it. It is closer 150. The sort of Bow Craig would choose.
Grahame.

terryzac

#15 Post by terryzac » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:30 pm

know what you mean. i got it back to my chin once and that was it

terry

rodlonq

#16 Post by rodlonq » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Beautiful looking arrows Grahame!

Do you put some sort of reinforcing behind the self nock or is that the job of the binding? Also have you put a bit of helical on them or is that just something I am seeing from the camera angle? Nice jo Grahame.

Cheers....... Rod

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Rod
rodlonq wrote:Do you put some sort of reinforcing behind the self nock or is that the job of the binding? Also have you put a bit of helical on them or is that just something I am seeing from the camera angle?
Those shaft have no reinforcing strips in them and the reinforcing is carried out by the binding. If I was keen I would insert a sliver of Horn or Hardwood at 90deg to the nock. Not that hard to do but fussy and you do not appear to need it when using hardwood shafts.

Yes, there is some helical on the fletches, makes it easier to affix the quills to he shaft as they have a natural curl to them.
Last edited by GrahameA on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.

Nephew

#18 Post by Nephew » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Moreton wrote:Tell me folks, is it common to use footed arrows in hunting situations, or are most people too worried about losing them, as I would be? I reckon the F.O.C. effect of the heavier, harder wood would make for good penetration.
Ahem! Oops, excuse me, just clearing my throat. :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Craig,

If I had made footed arras for hunting I would use them for hunting mate. I have often put a lot of time into making my hunting arras but I don't hesitate to use them for what they were made for. :D

Jeff

Guy Layton

#20 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Jeff,

I am the same as you.... I would much rather loose or break my best arrows on game any day of the week...! I think it is a great way to do them justice...! 8)

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Guy Layton wrote: I would much rather loose or break my best arrows on game any day of the week...! I think it is a great way to do them justice...!
Absolutely mate!!! :D

Jeff

Nephew

#22 Post by Nephew » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Thank you, gentlemen. Of course if one makes them to hunt with they will use them, what I meant was DO people make them to hunt with, or are they considered target arrows by most? Anyway, you have satisfied my curiosity as to whether some people do make them for hunting ( apparently so), and that's the answer I was hoping for. Can you guess what my next project will be? :wink:

BTW, exceptional work, Grahame. I like them, a lot! :)

GrahameA

#23 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:51 am

Hi Craig.
Moreton wrote:
Moreton wrote:Tell me folks, is it common to use footed arrows in hunting situations, or are most people too worried about losing them, as I would be? I reckon the F.O.C. effect of the heavier, harder wood would make for good penetration.
Hmm..... You can break them on targets pretty well.

The better you make arrows, the better they group, the greater the chance of hitting and breaking them. :shock:

They solution to not breaking your own arows by hitting them is to make unmatched arrows. :D
Grahame.

Nephew

#24 Post by Nephew » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:53 am

GrahameA wrote:Hi Craig.
Moreton wrote:
Hmm..... You can break them on targets pretty well.

The better you make arrows, the better they group, the greater the chance of hitting and breaking them. :shock:

They solution to not breaking your own arows by hitting them is to make unmatched arrows. :D
Now, that's thinking outside the square! :wink: :lol:

GrahameA

#25 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi Craig.
Moreton wrote:Now, that's thinking outside the square! :wink: :lol:
Think of it in these terms.

One day you decide to go to Vegas and shoot the Indoor. Before you head off you wander along and do a bit of training at "Grahame's School of Hitting Things" plus buy a fair few of "Grahame's Super Matched Arrows" since you been breaking the odd few during training. Eventually you arrive in Vegas and elect to shoot on a single target face. You line up and shoot your first arrow - in the centre, You shoot the second which smashes into the first destroying the arrow but ending up in the Centre. Third arrow same story. So after the first frame you have shot the maximum score but destroyed three arrows. This continues right through the tournament you consistently hold form and the arrows consistently go into the centre - with shards of timber going everywhere. The end result is you Win the tournament with a perfect score and smash a few dozen arrows along the way. The question is, "Was the $50,000 First Prize worth the cost of the arrows"? p.s. You wake up from the dream just as they hand the Cheque over.

If you want to shoot good scores matched arrows are a big help and if you shoot on a single face you will break arrows. Now do you want hear about my Friday and how to convert 20 arrows into a neat dozen!
Last edited by GrahameA on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

dmm

#26 Post by dmm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:46 pm

GrahameA wrote: If you want to shoot good scores matched arrows are a big help and if you shoot on a single face you will break arrows. Now do you want about my Friday and how to convert 20 arrows into a neat dozen!
I used to think that about the target archers I used to shoot with, drilling these ~$40 ACE pencil thin arrows into the same space, then trying their hardest to thread a second up the end of the first!

No prize money there, so in effect, you win & you lose.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.