the ironbarks

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

the ironbarks

#1 Post by clinton miller » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:59 pm

are they all good for selfbows? i have access to what i think is Eucalyptus crebra (narrow leaved red iron bark) and Euc. fibrosa (broad leaved red ironbark) just west of stanthorpe. from what i can gather the famed grey iron bark is a coastal variety. is this true?

what designs are best for these two timbers if they are suitable for selfbows?
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Steven J

Re: the ironbarks

#2 Post by Steven J » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:58 pm

I used narrow leaved red ironbark (species?) on a bamboo backed bow. It followed the string as I overpowered it with the bamboo. Still a nice bow though. Might be a little slow but it sure is a lovely looking bow as the grain is almost fiddlebacked.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi Clinton,

Choosing the right design for a selfbow made from Australian hardwoods is a difficult call.

My thoughts are leaning towards a pyramid style bow in the vicinity of 68” or longer depending on draw length required.

From my experience ironbark does not take kindly to a deep cross section in limb design.

A pyramid bow may be a good starting point and then modify the design on subsequent bows.

Aus Hardwood  Bows.jpg
Aus Hardwood Bows.jpg (154.34 KiB) Viewed 1234 times

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

texx

#4 Post by texx » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:20 am

if ironbark is any good i have enough on my place to keep me busy for a few hundred years . :D
got a fair bit of wattle to just not sure which wattles i have .
always seems to happen when its least expected most

otis.drum

#5 Post by otis.drum » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:42 pm

clinton, glenn prefers the grey ironbark that grows (i think) roma/emerald, but has said to me that red ironbark works well also. give it a go.

daryl,
i think those bows are made by someone other than glenn. allan jones rings a bell but can't remember for sure.
...otis...

clinton miller

#6 Post by clinton miller » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:01 pm

thanks otis. i have plenty of local timber to chose from then. 8)
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:00 pm

yep Otis it was Allan Jones....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi Otis and Rod,

Thank you for correcting my mistake. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I should have realised my stuff up as I have one of Allans bows similar to the one on the right in the photo.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....