Grozer Hunnish vs Avarian - A Review

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

MaylandL

Grozer Hunnish vs Avarian - A Review

#1 Post by MaylandL » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:24 pm

G'day all

First really fine day that we have had and an opportunity to test out the Grozer Hunnish and Avarian on a side by side comparison.

Hunnish Extra I Finish
54# @ 28" with max draw of 31"
Weight 0.8kg
Length strung 56.5"
Asymmetric design

Later Avarian Extra II Finish
57# @ 28" with max draw of 28"
Horn on bow belly
Weight 0.9kg
Length strung 51.5"

I shot barrel tapered arrows with 4" and 5" fletches weighing approximately 500grains at 20m, 30m and 40m.

On drawing the Avarian had the smoother draw and there was less resistance even though the Avarian 3# heavier. The main difference here is the max draw of the Avarian is much shorted and you could really feel the full load of the bow at 28" where as there was still plenty of give for the hunnish. I think at 31" the hunnish poundage would be about 70#. There was no way you could draw the Avarian past 28" without damaging or breaking the bow.

It did appar that control of the Hunnish bow seems o be better than the Avarian. Longer and lighter than the Avarian, it did feel like it was easier to handle

On shooting both bows had very little hand shock. I did find that the hunnish was a little easier to control than the Avarian.

The arrow cast and speed appeared to be faster than the Avarian. At 20m, the impact of this was negligible At 30m arrow flight for the hunnish was flatter than the Avarian. At 40m, the arrow flight out of the Avarian exhibited more of the characteristic arc. This may well indicate that the arrow speed from the Avarian is slower than the Hunnish. This surprised me as I would have thought the hor would have provided more of an advantage.
There's another point though. Grozer has changed the way he is making his bows and the materials and how he combines those materials. The Avarian is made under the old manufacturing method whereas the Avarain was the older way of making them.

The only way to be sure is to shoot arrows from both bows through a chronograph.

Penentration for both bows was about the same with the arrows penetrating at least a third past the point even at 40m.

The Hunnish appears to be the more accurate bow. I was able to get better groups with the Hunnish that the Avarian even though I have had more experience using the Avarian. This leads me to think the Hunnish is a easier bow to shoot and learn to shoot.

A number of things seem to be interesting about his test so far. The assymetric design on the Hunnish may provide more of an advantage to arrow speed than use of horn. Anyone have any thoughts/test results about this?

The new way that Grozer has used to make his bows appears to have provided greater accuracy, power and ease of use.

Next step is to see if I can get a hold of a chronograph to see which is the faster bow.

Happy shooting all :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....