cari-bow

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

cari-bow

#1 Post by Fanto » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:58 am

after some negotiating (and i dont mean with the bowyer)

ive placed an order for a Cari-bow slynx. it is a semi-recurve or reflex-deflex flat bow (Jeff, help!!) of 60" in length.

the limbs are veneered with black and white (aka pale moon) ebony and the riser is all Gabon Ebony. the heel, cap and limb tip overlays will be water buffalo from a horn from arnhemland, shot by a mate.

the bow in the pictures belongs to a tradgang member. i must have looked at 1000 bows, this one stood out to my eye like nothing else.

cant wait !
Attachments
caribow-3.jpg
caribow-3.jpg (92.11 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
b&w_cari-bow_riser.jpg
b&w_cari-bow_riser.jpg (91.79 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Fraser

Re: cari-bow

#2 Post by Fraser » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:37 am

Looks stunning Fanto, what draw wieght?

Fraser

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:59 am

Fraser I'm thinking 60.

as I said in another thread, I shot. feral sheep. it was. 55lb bow with a 500 gr arrow, arrow went all the way through , the broadhead was 6" out the off side. if it wasn't for all the wool I reckon it would have been complete pass through.

except water buffalo, I think 60lb and 650gr arrows will do me nicely for all my Aussie bowhunting needs

what you reckon ?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Fraser

#4 Post by Fraser » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:02 pm

If your happy with sixty, go sixty. Sixty's good for every think except scrub bull and buffalo, maybe samber deer (none up here so just guessing about them). There is one thing though, the more you have to avoid shoulder pads and heavy bone, the grater the chance of things going wrong. That's just my excuse to use the heaviest bow I can.

The contrast of the black and white on that bow make it look really striking, a head turner.

Fraser

scuzz

#5 Post by scuzz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:11 pm

That is an impressive looking bow.

I did a google search and came to this: http://www.cari-bow.com/Models_Slynx_Flare_Riser.php
It does seem to show the reflex/deflex form of the bow a little more. Was there any comments of how smooth it was to shoot?? Well i guess ill be able to ask you when you get yours :lol:

Scuzz

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Very nice bow Fanto, gunna be wortha motza with the ebony timbers! would love to see some performance figures.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

daniel m

#7 Post by daniel m » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:36 pm

very nice bow mate, that black and wood combination looks fantastic

Fanto

#8 Post by Fanto » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Bigbob, as per the conventional wisdom, all out speed wasnt really high on my list of priorities. I went for this bow, above all else, because i love it. when i read some opinions and review on cari-bow, the bowyer is very experienced with 20 years experience building custom bows, prior to which he was a carpenter.

the 50lb model shoots a 550gr arrow (11g.p.p..) at 178, or 450gr (9 g.p.p) at 193. this date is from pete ward's peregrine review which has the same limbs with a 2' longer riser, so it will be similar.

and yes the ebony and horn overlays contribute to the expense!

daniel boon

#9 Post by daniel boon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Fanto, I think you'll enjoy it. I have one of Abe's RC's, the "Taiga". Abe does a great job, mine has Elk horn everywhere. The wait time was about 10 months for mine I think. The shipping from Canada was a killer, if i remember rightly, and mine is a TD. A lot more than from US.
Cheers Dan

Fanto

#10 Post by Fanto » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:20 pm

cheers Dan

I checked ups I'm expecting $250.

you only live once!

Buranurra

#11 Post by Buranurra » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 am

That is a beauty for sure. I have lusted after the same bow. Great choice.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Fanto

#12 Post by Fanto » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:43 pm

thanks Jase, about 6 month wait which gives me more time to put away some biccies.

I liked that flare design riser from the first time I saw one but this ebony version really jumped out at me. I was going to go for a Whip until i came accross this particular custom Slynx. as I said im going for it because I like the aesthetics.

cheers

daniel boon

#13 Post by daniel boon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 pm

6 months is not bad, like I said, mine vas 10 I think. Abe's bows are shooters and the workmanship is excellent. I sent him some measurements of my grip, and he nailed it. Mine was ready when he said it was going to be. Check out the woodburning he does on his bows, I got a pick of an Elk. At a guess the 250 for a 1pc from Canada sounds about right.
Smething to look forward to .
cheers Dan