wood recommendation for primitive bows

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

DrAK DaRippa

wood recommendation for primitive bows

#1 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 pm

As a kid i always enjoyed finding sticks to make bows and arrows out of, but after 'growing up' i never got back into my traditional ways... until now.

so i've stumbled upon this forum, regarding the very kind of topics i find so interesting, and come to whoever with experience reads this to ask them:

what species of tree make for good bows? or would you endorse buying some kind of hardwood from a timber yard? i'm on the nsw coast if that helps to narrow down any kind of advice you have to offer

if there's some topic on this board that already adresses this question i'd be appreciative of the link

Drak

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: wood recommendation for primitive bows

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:02 pm

G'day and welcome to Ozbow. The search feature at the top right is your friend mate. :biggrin: To get you started check this thread out: http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12750

Also have a look in the Traditional Crafts forum and look at the latest threads as there is one on making a self bow for the first time and how to select the wood etc which I'm sure will be of benefit to you.

Jeff

DrAK DaRippa

#3 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:16 pm

cheers jeff, i've been watching this guy talk since i posted this and here's an abridged video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=QB_EQP3FoHw

DrAK DaRippa

#4 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:44 pm

after some reading up on things i think ive decided to go with Eucalyptus fraxinoides (white ash) and perhaps look into roo hind leg sinew. although it seems to not be a very widespread practice (sinewing the front limbs) it sounds very interesting. thanks again for the link to that pdf file, it's exactly the kind of information i wanted to know :)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 pm

DrAK DaRippa wrote:although it seems to not be a very widespread practice (sinewing the front limbs) it sounds very interesting.
Firstly it is the back of the bow that the sinew is put on. It can be difficult to get enough for a bow. IMO you might be better off making a few simpler types of bows until you learn the basics of tillering etc. All the best whichever way you decide to go.

Jeff

DrAK DaRippa

#6 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:34 pm

yeah i'm still getting used to, back meaning away from you.

it seems the white ash eucalyptus might be difficult to track down, i'm not sure where i might get a suitable 'starting log'

is there a common type that's easy to use for early projects?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:11 pm

DrAK DaRippa wrote:is there a common type that's easy to use for early projects?
Iron Bark and Spotted Gum. Have a search through and you will find a number of build-a-longs using such woods.

Jeff

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi and welcome. Where are you on the NSW coast? Spotted gum is prevalent in the north as well as Iron barks. Plenty of non native species around too. Cheers Steve

DrAK DaRippa

#9 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:41 pm

i'm in the hunter valley steve, on rechecking the chart, and some hardwood suppliers i was thinking turpentine looked alright, i might just start with ironbark though.

is buying something from a timber yard a bad idea?

longbow steve

#10 Post by longbow steve » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 pm

DrAK DaRippa wrote:i'm in the hunter valley steve, on rechecking the chart, and some hardwood suppliers i was thinking turpentine looked alright, i might just start with ironbark though.

is buying something from a timber yard a bad idea?
I think Hamish has said something about Turpentine trees when we have passed them so they may be worth a try.
Buying timber from a yard is fine and a good idea to get you started as you are going to have to wait for a stave to season if you want a primitive bow. You may have to go through a few boards to find one suitable for an unbacked bow but it is worth spending the time if the merchant will let you.
I assume you know about Hunter Valley Traditional Archers? if not look them up and get your self there either for one of their weekend shoots or pencil in the Gathering on the June long weekend and or Wisemans Ferry shoot which is coming up in a month or so.
Cheers Steve

DrAK DaRippa

#11 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 pm

i hadn't heard of them thanks, this looks like a great place to get started

yeoman

#12 Post by yeoman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:46 pm

There are a couple of simple rules which you must follow in order to come home with a worthwhile board for making a selfbow:

1. Pick the heaviest species they have. Do not try pine or Tas Oak. If you can get ironbark or spotted gum, turn your nose at merbau, blackbutt, jarrah, the list goes on.

2. Pick a board in which the growth rings, as visible on the broad face of the board, run in straight, parallel lines from end to end of the board.

3. Put back any boards with swirls, knots, pins, borers, gum-pockets or other imperfections.

4. Know rules 1-3 off by heart and stick to them most fastidiously.

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

DrAK DaRippa

#13 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks for the post dave, i'll keep those rules in mind when i'm searching.