Araldite and Point Attachment

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Brumbies Country

Araldite and Point Attachment

#1 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu May 29, 2008 7:18 pm

I usually use the longer setting Araldite for attaching points to wood shafts. I have a new batch of barreled shafts and attached points to them last night with 5 minute Araldite. I couldn't get the longer setting equivalent yesterday. I looked at the specs and combined with the fact that I'd shot with a guy a fortnight ago who uses the 5 minute stuff all the time I attached points last night and fletched 3 arras. Yellow barred, I liked them. I shot two tonight and they shot beautifully. Problem is when I extracted them the points were left in the butt. Home made butt of clothes and carboard and I can get them back maybe.

I usually wait in the order of 72 hours before I shoot newly attached shafts with the longer setting material. I applied strong finger pressure to the remaining ten shafts and removed points in 3, mixture of new and recycled German top hat points. Was I naive in assuming the 5 minute stuff would set in 24 hours?

Simon

Coach

Re: Araldite and Point Attachment

#2 Post by Coach » Thu May 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Havent used Araldite on wood shafts , but I never had a problem with the 5 min stuff in carbons . Its strange that they didnt stay stuck :shock:
Maybe a bad batch or you need to give the tip of the shaft a wipe down with acetone , and the point as well :wink:

alaninoz

#3 Post by alaninoz » Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 pm

And don't forget to wipe off the points with acetone too. Haven't tried Araldite on wood, but other epoxies are used on difficult to glue woods. Was the residual glue stuck to the point or to the wood? That may indicate where the problem is.

Alan
Alan

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 pm

I've heard a few bad reports from people who have used the 5 min variety of Araldite to glue on their points. I've always used the 24 hour Araldite with total confidence. 8)

I've shot arrows into strammit with points that were only glued on (with 24 hour Araldite) 24 hours previously and they didn't become unstuck. If anything's going to steal your points, it will be strammit butts.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Moss

#5 Post by Moss » Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi Simon if i where you i wouldn't use 5min araldite i've used it in the past to glue thing together and 1/2 time the things just come unstuck :shock: . so your best bet is to probable use hot melt glue or maybe an epoxy.

Moss
Moss

Brumbies Country

#6 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu May 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Thanks Coach Alan and Mick

I've just cleaned them up with acetone, both points and shafts. To answer your questions, the shafts were brand spanking new as were 2/3rds of the points. I went back after posting and found with finger pressure they all came of bar one.

Just found enough of the 24 hr material to do them again. I think that it is a crook batch may be right, but we get cold temperatures here at this time of the year and maybe that has an effect. Anyway not prepared to chance it again.

Mick I want to now shoot them Saturday so the 24 hours sounds pretty good and I reckon I've actually got 36 hours.

Thanks for the feedback.

Simon

Brumbies Country

#7 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu May 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Moss wrote:Hi Simon if i where you i wouldn't use 5min araldite i've used it in the past to glue thing together and 1/2 time the things just come unstuck :shock: . so your best bet is to probable use hot melt glue or maybe an epoxy.

Moss

Thanks Moss

Guess I learnt the hard way :( .

Simon

Trad Bound

#8 Post by Trad Bound » Thu May 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Hi Brumbies
I shoot Vic Ash with 5 minute Araldite just make sure that the points are clean with acetone. I have not had points coming of at all.
Good luck with it. Tony

kerrille

#9 Post by kerrille » Thu May 29, 2008 11:11 pm

i found when i used 5 min araldite in summer it was setting to fast to use.
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

ichiban

#10 Post by ichiban » Sat May 31, 2008 10:54 pm

i personaly use tarzans grip and just leave it 24 hours less messy than araldidte and no waste and i havent lost a head yet but that could be begininers luck....... i got tarzans grip cause it was cheeper too
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

jape

#11 Post by jape » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:13 am

I found the quick araldite came off a couple of times as well so now I just use cheap (five for $2) super glue and haven't had any points or heads come off except for a Tusker which exploded the rivets when I hit a tree ten foot from the bow (very bad case of archers paradox, lol), same for nocks, binding and feathers. Saves a lot of mixing and waste and the cheap liquid stuff stays runny long enough to adjust things slightly. One tube does six arrows at least, all the bits and pieces. Fumes get you high though.

Brumbies Country

#12 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:16 am

Thanks Tony, Kerrille, Ichiban and Jape

Using the Araldite 24 hour I put the points back on all bar the one that I couldn't remove with finger pressure Thursday night. Had some shots at a 3D target at home Saturday. Lost one point-yeah the remaining 5 minute Araldite one. How stupid was leaving that one on :oops: ? Looks like Tarzan's Grip and Superglue are cheaper alternatives. Hot melt works OK for me too.

Cheers

Simon

longbow steve

#13 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:49 am

Hi Simon and everyone, 24 hr araldite or equivalent is the go if you are shooting away from home. It annoys me to find an extra point on the end of my arrow so you could imagine how someone with a $50 dollar arrow feels. Kevin was recently told he couldnt practice at a club with timber arrows for the above reason regardless of the fact that his points were secure. Do us all a favour and use the good stuff and not worry about the 30c you might save using an alternative.
Soory for being abrupt but it is important if we are to remain welcome at different clubs. Steve :)

Brumbies Country

#14 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:19 am

That's a very good point Steve. A year and a half ago the Canberra Archery Club came very close to banning the use of field points for that reason, and these were primarily used by longbow shooters. There are Australian representative recurve and compound archers using X10s on that range, so it was a fair enough complaint.

Simon

ichiban

#15 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:29 am

i honestly dont mean to sound rude or what ever its not my intension, however my arrows cost me a little over $5 each with the lot and they fly and sink deep into a target and once a tree as well as any, the fact that people chose to spend a small fortune on arrows is not my consern, considering i got my bow and ALL the tackle for less than some people spend on 1 good sets of arrows.
my philosophy is if you shoot an arrow in war chances arnt good that you will get it back, it could hit steel wood or some ones liver.....you probably wouldnt want it back.
i think targets need to be replaced more offtern if people are finding themselves with 2 heads, but hey free arrow head..

Brumbies Country

#16 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 am

ichiban wrote:i honestly dont mean to sound rude or what ever its not my intension, however my arrows cost me a little over $5 each with the lot and they fly and sink deep into a target and once a tree as well as any, the fact that people chose to spend a small fortune on arrows is not my consern, considering i got my bow and ALL the tackle for less than some people spend on 1 good sets of arrows.
my philosophy is if you shoot an arrow in war chances arnt good that you will get it back, it could hit steel wood or some ones liver.....you probably wouldnt want it back.
i think targets need to be replaced more offtern if people are finding themselves with 2 heads, but hey free arrow head..
Hi Ichiban

What we are saying is if you are shooting on a range where others are shooting expensive arrows then they deserve due consideration. Don't know if you belong to one of the three Archery Australia clubs here in Canberra, but those people do spend a fair bit more on their arrows in the interest of good performance, and if you are shooting on one of those ranges then you are putting at risk those of us who use field points if you leave a field point in a target. Not quite as critical for the two ABA clubs but we need to think about our fellow archers. I left a point in a target Saturday morning, although it is my own target. Shooting at your own target then it's your call.

Simon

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:11 am

Morning All
ichiban wrote:i honestly dont mean to sound rude or what ever its not my intension, however my arrows cost me a little over $5 each with the lot and they fly and sink deep into a target and once a tree as well as any, the fact that people chose to spend a small fortune on arrows is not my consern, considering i got my bow and ALL the tackle for less than some people spend on 1 good sets of arrows.
My point of view.

If people were losing heads and leaving them in targets I would ban the use of such at my club without any second thoughts. The other alternative would be to restrict the use of said arrows to targets supplied by said users.

The way I see it there are no reasons for ponts coming off. The issue with 5 minute Araldite is known. Hot melt can also fail - it is dependant on the type of hot melt, the target and the bow/arrow cobination. Fast arrows into hard material, eg Cardboard, can result in enough heat being generated that the glue is softened and the bond is easily broken when the arrow is removed. Superglue is not a good choice unless it has gap filling properties.

Personally a good construction adhesive is probably a far better choice than "Tarzan's Grip" and cheaper.

If people are still having issue with glue then the heads can be cross drilled and pinned. Not a hard exercise.
ichiban wrote:... the fact that people chose to spend a small fortune on arrows is not my consern, ...
Neither is harmonious relations with your fellow archers apparently.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

kerrille

#18 Post by kerrille » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:32 am

whether you spend $5.00 or $90.00 i hate the fact i lost heads because i tried to save a few bob on glue. i lost 6 one day luckily it was at a mates place and i eventualy got them back ,if it had been at the club that would have been my shooting over for the day , having to go in to town order more and wait a week befor they came in,nup better to buy best first :shock: ...nev
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

longbow steve

#19 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 am

Hi ichiban, My arrows cost the same as yours, my bow costs the same as yours or less but I do value having clubs that allow me to shoot my gear whether primitive or modern.
At $500 per butt why would you replace them sooner than nescessary?
Please dont give us a bad name. Steve

ichiban

#20 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:45 pm

that defenitly not my intention, i personaly just think everyone should shoot arrows that they are prepaired to lose in public should the worst happen... when you have several people shooting at the same target of various skill levels be it bow building, fletching or arrow smithing there is always the chance that an arrow might get hurt....its no ones fault of cause but if you have $50 arrows you would be more inclined to be grumpy if another guys $5 arrow hits the shaft and splits it.
i think when in public you should only shoot arrows you are prepaired to lose should the worst happen...... but some other guys arrow head that was lost in there 4 weeks ago gets stuck to yours....... its just a bit of bad luck i guess... so i got some araldite but for the record i have never left a head in a public target..long needle nose plyers are good for this sort of thing
Last edited by ichiban on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ichiban

#21 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:50 pm

honestly i dident mean any negativity but the way i have been told by many archers is that a lost arrow head now and then is part of the game, just reflect and think about it... have you ever lost one to a target im really sorry i didnt mean it the way it sounded
when i said people who spend small fortunes on arrows is none of my consern i meant that it dose not consern me how much people spend on arrows but it would never intentionaly do anything to hurt another archers gear you should be kicked off the range for being disrespectfull
Last edited by ichiban on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ichiban

#22 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:00 pm

having said all that what would you guys recomend for an astheticly pleasing alternative target head other than field points for wooden arrows, brands, types etc.. and whats the benifit over field points

jape

#23 Post by jape » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:32 pm

I wouldn't worry any more ichiban, I think your words seemed ambiguous at first but you have explained that well - you do show due care and concern and that is what matters. Normal field points well glued, lets go with the recommendations and 'least-risk' route and use 24hr araldite or construction glue (if we get a name or type, could be anything otherwise), clean components and that is it.

I will listen to the experienced guys here and stop using superglue although it worked fine for me.
I shoot very rarely at butts as my nearest are all wheelies users and forty-five minutes away or more but if I did, the reasonable care bit is all you can be expected to follow, surely. That is what I was told at the club and if you lose a tip and can't get it out, tell the Range Marshall, steward, club officials.

ichiban

#24 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:43 pm

yeah of cause thanks for your understanding and besides all that its my field point and i want it back!! yeah i just want you guys to know that i would never mean to harm another archers gear regardless of price its theres i never even touch another persons bow i think its bad mojo

Jaydo

#25 Post by Jaydo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:45 pm

ichiban wrote:having said all that what would you guys recomend for an astheticly pleasing alternative target head other than field points for wooden arrows, brands, types etc.. and whats the benifit over field points
You could go with bodkin points, they are what the medievil archers used because broadheads were ineffective against armor,

they are like field points but square to a point, im sure ive seen Grahame A or TomW with arrows with bodkin points on here somewhere, if i still shot wood arrows i'd be using them

Jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

ichiban

#26 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:50 pm

where in canberra can you get them i dont think archery supplies has em oooo maby tharwa forge caould make me some?? that would be sweet

Coach

#27 Post by Coach » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:18 pm

If people are losing a lot of points in target butts , MAYBE they should look at what they use a butt 8)

ichiban

#28 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:53 pm

i have put em in trees....... :shock: u mean animals u bully :shock: hehe nah dont have the time or stomach for hunting

Coach

#29 Post by Coach » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:33 pm

ichiban wrote:i have put em in trees....... :shock: u mean animals u bully :shock: hehe nah dont have the time or stomach for hunting
Not sure if you are talking to me :shock: Are you ?

ichiban

#30 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:34 pm

hehe yeah just joking though