advice on digial cameras

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

trash boss

advice on digial cameras

#1 Post by trash boss » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:55 am

We are trying to find out some info on digital cameras.We have been speaking to a few people about them and sort of know a bit more but would really appreciate a few more thoughts on what you people think beause you all will be using it for the same/similar reasons that we will. Hunting/fishing/camping etc and then coming home and blowing them up or sending on to other people.Please remember that we are after TRASH user friendly(in other words not to complicated) ones with around 5 megapixels. Any info will be great.

See Ya

Jo

Buford

#2 Post by Buford » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:28 pm

(in other words not to complicated) ones with around 5 megapixels
ok, i guess i can give you some info in a simplified version :lol:

seriously, one of my jobs is working for my bro in law who happens to be a photographer (lucky you!)

when it comes to any camera purchase, there are 3 questions you need to ask yourself, what is going to be the major use of it. what finnished image quality are you after. and, what is my budget. All these questions will lead you to a particular type of camera.

1. Major use. you have already answered this question.
will be using it for the same/similar reasons that we will. Hunting/fishing/camping etc
this tells me you need a compact design, probably not an SLR (changeable lens's). in other words, a 'point and shoot' camera, one you just turn on and press a button.

2. Finnished Quality. you mentioned that you will be emailing photos and posting a few, as well as some enlargements. 5 megapixels is above average, to very good quality as far as compact cameras are concerned and their price will reflect this. for posting pics and emailing (viewed on a pc screen) i don't see the need to go above about 3 Mp. if you plan to do alot of enlargements, to poster size or something for the wall at home or the like, then i wouldn't go below 5 Mp.

general rule:- the more megapixels (or dots of colour per square inch) the better the image will look, but you will only notice a difference betwwen a pic from a 3Mp camera, and a 5-6Mp camera, when the pic gets bigger than an A4 sheet of paper. BUT. The more megapixels, the more they cost. it's always a trade off between the 2.

3. And this brings me to budget.
you can get a 1 Mp camera with no memory stick for 50 bucks from Big W, or, you can get a camera like we use at work, Canon EOS D-1n. 11.1 megapixel and retails for around $13,000 :shock: Without a lens! obviously this is over kill to the extreeme for anyone but a professional photographer. but there are thousands of models in between!

a good website to check out for average prices is http://www.camerastore.com.au/

heres one that might suit your needs. (i always recomend Canon or Nikon)
Canon IXUS 400
$660.00 Inc. GST
Canon IXUS 400. Compact 4.0 Megapixel digital camera with retractable 3x optical zoom. Canon 3x optical zoom lens with a fast f/2.8-4.9 aperture and 3.6x digital zoom

OR
(this is the one i would get, pro technology in a compact camera :wink: )
Canon Powershot G5
$997.00 Inc. GST
Canon Powershot G5. Advanced 5 Megapixel, 4X Optical Zoom.

OR

Nikon Coolpix 3700
$530.00 Inc. GST
Nikon Coolpix 3700. Features 7-element 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens and 3.2 megapixels resolution in an ultra-compact and slim body with a brushed aluminium finish.

i try to get people to stay with brands that produce pro quality cameras in their range (like Canon, Nikon and maybe Fuji) because the technology tends to filter down to the other models sooner or later.
some sony models are good also, but don't let them sell you a model that costs $150 -$300 more for the sake of a free bag or something, chances are you paid for thr 'freebies' anyway just because its a sony. ask around your friends, someone is bound to know somebody who works for a camera shop or a electrical shop, that you can trust. :wink:

in closing (sorry for the lecture :) ) i would advise you to get extra memory cards, because if your away for a week at a time, 128mb cards fill very quickly and unless you have a computer handy to download them onto, your up poop creek!

Cheers
Buford the Daft
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Griffo

#3 Post by Griffo » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:22 pm

Don't forget, optical zoom is what gives you your clarity when you zoom in, NOT digital zoom. When you go into the digital zoom spectrum image quality begins to deteriorate.

So if you want to do some serious zooming on that massive red stag, that banana bearing boar or that forty inch monster then you'll want a camera high/er in optical zoom.

I second the notion on memory. You can never have enough cards. I say, go the largest card you can get for your camera when you buy it. You'll be glad you did.

Also, it's advisable to purchase a camera that takes standard batteries you can buy off the shelf (ie, energisers or everready's etc). It's hard to find a powered gum tree to plug your charger into when your camera specific battery gives up in the middle of the scrub but if your camera takes normal batteries you just carry a few spare and whack em in and go for gold.

Hope this helps some.

Griffo

trash boss

#4 Post by trash boss » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:13 pm

Thanks heaps fellas for the info.The Canon powershot G5 was one that we were impressed with that was on another site that we looked at this morning.We start our holidays at Easter and now we'll have a bit more of an idea what we're looking for.Any other info/thoughts will be appreciated as well.Also if anybody knows of any good camers dealers that we can visit.We are starting our holidays in Brisbane and at this stage going as far as Canberra

Thanks again

Jo

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:41 pm

Jo,

In Brisbane I have dealt with Photo Continental www.photocontinental.com.au

I buy most of my equipment from them. They were very competative price wise with pro gear. The likes of Teds Cameras and Camera House would also be worth a try. Check prices around as they vary a lot. Also bear in mind that digital gear outdates fairly quickly and prices drop quickly also - bargains can be had. :D

Buford,

What lenses are you using with the D-1? Have you used the 24 - 70 L series yet? I'm a film man and will staying that way for a long time - can't afford to change even if I wanted to - I don't wish to at this stage. I have the 28 - 70 F2.8 L series with my EOS 3. It is a fantastic lense - very useful focal length and is Sharp! I would like the 100 - 400 L series but I'm only dreaming.

Jeff

russ

#6 Post by russ » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:57 pm

ditto geoffs suggestions 4 stores in brissy. at photocontinental, try to find the tall skinny bloke in his forties. he knows about customer service. the service due to lack of staff is commonly disgraceful on the shopfloor , you need to be patient when u visit them... personally i still prefer quality photos for an album from a conventional $170 camera and use a $200 2megapixel cheapie for transferring photos on the computer quickly when needed..........russ

erron

#7 Post by erron » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:45 pm

I've got a Nikon Coolpix SR: great camera, as Buford says. Only thing I don't like: the shiny, slippery finish: had a couple of frights taking shots over water, or from the edge of a dropoff...

:o

Erron

Buford

#8 Post by Buford » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:03 pm

Jeff,

as most of the work we do is wedding photography, we use mainly fixed focal length lens's. although its changing alot, from memory in the bag at the moment is:- 20mm f2.8, 50mm 1.4L, 100mm f2, 135mm f2L and a 200mm f1.8L. there used to be an 85mm in there as well but found it rather redundant.

my personal gear is a little more modest. I too still use film, although hope to get an EOS 10D when the finances improve. At the moment am using an EOS 5 with a 24 -85mm and a 100 - 300mm. does the job quite nicely. i would like to go digital because i have all the gear at home to produce my own prints (computer, A3 Stylus photo 1270 printer, and acess to matte texture laminating gear at work). just getting the raw images onto disk is the (costly) step i aim to bypass.
had a couple of frights over water, or from the edge of a dropoff...
:shock: don't do it erron you have so much to live for! :lol:
i mean who will maintain the ozbow site? :D

cheers
Buford the Daft

erron

#9 Post by erron » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

- god, work has been depressing lately, but not that bad...

:wink:

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:42 pm

Thanks Buford. I do a few weddings a year. It is stressful yet I also find it a lot of fun - most of the time. My wife Judy is my offsider - carries the film and spares. :D

I opted for the zoom rather than a number of primes. To get quality I opted for the L series lense. I wouldn't mind a 70 - 200 F 2.8 L for weddings but I can't warrant it for the few I do. The 100 - 400 L would be great for out bush.

By your printer etc it sure sounds like you are ready for digital printing when the $'s come along for the D10.

Jeff

Buford

#11 Post by Buford » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:27 am

Jeff,

There's nothing wrong with a good quality zoom. the main reason why we use fix focals is, weddings have a tendancy to run late, and around mid year all you need is an overcast day with a lateish service (3pm on) and you run out of natural light very quick. so the the faster the lens, the better. so when you have a 50mm running at f1.4 and a 100mm at f2, we get an extra half an hour or so before we have to break out the flash guns. and i think you would agree, natural light is much more flattering than fill flash.

Do you do much darkroom work with your weddings?

cheers
buford

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:19 pm

Buford,

Yeah I understand the reasons for your choice of primes. I simply can't afford to go down that road.

I don't do any darkroom work. I get a local fella I know well to do my normal processing. They have just got one of those half million dollar digital labs and the last wedding we did the prints were really great. The new lab does a great job on my Fuji NPH - far better than what he could achieve on the old lab. He does a lot of work for the professionals around here.

When I do a wedding he arranges a time and we do it after hours so I can be there and check that I'm happy with the prints. Sometimes I'm even giving a hand. :wink:

For blow ups I use 'Prolab' in Brisbane. I have found them to do excellent work. The biggest I have had a blow up done was approx 24" x 17". I had it printed full frame and on canvas. It was a shot I did at my daughters wedding (yes I did her photos). It looks absolutely beautiful. I was surprised how the grain wasn't what I would call bad considering the neg was 35mm.

Erron,

This was just a side step from the original question. I have emailed Jo some reviews on the Canon G5 digital so does that get me out of trouble? :D

Jeff

erron

#13 Post by erron » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:42 pm

Hey, no worries Jeff, this forum is for general discussions anyway, and we know how those tend to meander :lol:

E.

Buford

#14 Post by Buford » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:19 pm

sounds like you have a great arrangement going Jeff,

who knows, maybe with a little 'word of mouth' and a few adds in the right places (like a wedding expo or in a wedding guide book?) and you could turn something you obviously enjoy doing into a good money spinner! At the very least, it could help you on the way to that new lens. :wink:

Jo,

here is another web link for the canon G5, just for price comparison reasons. they have it listed at a bit over a grand. not a bad price.
http://www.digitalcameras.com.au/produc ... ductid=892

cheers
Buford

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:26 pm

Buford,

It is paying off the present gear and the odd normal run of the mill bills (very slowly I might add). I don't wish to get to many but I do a few from word of mouth.

Do you know what the lens quality of the G5 is like. I mean it would have to be far better than the poor quality kit lenses that come with the lower end SLR's wouldn't it?

Thanks

Jeff
Last edited by Stickbow Hunter on Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trash boss

#16 Post by trash boss » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:43 pm

All this info is really great I dont think I've spent so much time on the computer going from one sight to another.So far everything that I've read about the G5 is all good. I've just not long walked in from work and have checked out the sight you emailed Jeff. Thanks heaps.

Jo

MarkP

#17 Post by MarkP » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:13 pm

I have a Powershot G5 and am very happy with it. I don't know a great deal about digital cameras but I would recommend this one.

You have to charge the camera battery at home but I've found that it lasts for a very long time. My camera goes a month or two between recharges so I've never had any troubles on a week long hunting trip.

One great advantage of this model is that it has a little remote control gadget like for your TV. This would come in handy if you need to take a photo while your on your own, or if you want both you and your buddy in the same photo - just line up the image and use the tiny remote to snap off a few pics.

I think having a big memory card is an advantage.

MarkP

TheSilentBugler

#18 Post by TheSilentBugler » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:04 am

MarkP wrote:
I think having a big memory card is an advantage.
w0rd...!

You want to taka all your pics at maximum quality, you never know which shot is going to be a keeper and you'll kick yourself if you take the shot in low quality mode.

256mb is the minimum to look fo rin modern digicams IMHO, I use 258mb over a weekend away and back it up with a 128mb card and the camera's puny 8mb internal.

my cam:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier. ... cale=en_US

It's been a very good cam, and the 10X optical is a real plus.

Buford

#19 Post by Buford » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:33 am

Jeff,
from memory the G5 has an 4X optical, aspherical lens (something like 35mm to 135mm), with a fairly quick aperture for a compact (around f2 or 3.0 i think). the things i like about it is, it has a car charger and you can put your 550EX speedlight straight on it!
so yes, it ain't a bad package.

256mb is the minimum to look fo rin modern digicams IMHO, I use 258mb over a weekend away and back it up with a 128mb card and the camera's puny 8mb internal.
Jo,

this would be a good start, but i would even be tempted to go for a 512mb card for 1 main reason. The G5 being a 5 megapixel camera, to get full value out of what your buying you have to use at least a medium/ high quality setting otherwise you might as well buy a lower quality camera. it seems pointless to me to buy a great camera but always use the high compression/ low quality option just to save memory.

At a wedding shoot we always use the highest quality option available in the light conditions we have and it's nothing to use up 2 1gb cards in 3 hours (about 30mb per capture)

cheers
B the D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:02 am

Thanks Buford, it sounds more and more like a top unit for a compact.

Jeff