Bowhunting Workshop

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Antarcher

Bowhunting Workshop

#1 Post by Antarcher » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:25 am

Here is the official announcement for the Game Council bowhunting workshop that will take place on the weekend of July the 3rd to the 5th at the Orange bowhunting club. Will be great to see a heap of faces from the site there and it should a great time for all involved.

TomMcDonald

Re: Bowhunting Workshop

#2 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:32 am

Do you know the costs Antarcher?
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Antarcher

#3 Post by Antarcher » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:06 am

Just got off the phone to the GC and the cost of the course will be around $100. The contact for the course booking's is Greg Mcfarland on 02 63605101 or email at pr2@gamecouncil.nsw.gov.au There will be a more detailed flyer available in a week or so and I will put it up when I get it. Andrew Moriati, who has a PHD in deer and animal ecology, will be putting the course together. Numbers will be limited, so if you intend on going then you will have to book early.

TomMcDonald

#4 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 am

Thanks for your efforts Antarcher. It sounds good.
Tom

Nephew

#5 Post by Nephew » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:36 pm

See Jeff (both of 'em)? This is the type of benefit I imagine we could have up here. This would be great for newcomers like me. There's the ADA hunter education courses, but they seem to be more for rifle hunters than us. I know it's not a popular idea up here, but I see a lot more to it than just the regulations and fee. As long as it involves lots of this kind of thing, I'm all for a version of the G.C in QLD. :)
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Coach

#6 Post by Coach » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Moreton wrote:See Jeff (both of 'em)? This is the type of benefit I imagine we could have up here. This would be great for newcomers like me. There's the ADA hunter education courses, but they seem to be more for rifle hunters than us. I know it's not a popular idea up here, but I see a lot more to it than just the regulations and fee. As long as it involves lots of this kind of thing, I'm all for a version of the G.C in QLD. :)
So you want others to find your hunting properties for you ??? Fine dude .

One other question if I may ,, since when did we ask TBGA , an internet forum , to become involved in the GC and tell us how to hunt ? So is it now we have the GC and TBGA to answer to now ? Has TBGA now become another spokesperson for our hunting rights in NSW ?
dont remember being asked .
Maybe Ozbow should send some reps in to contribute as well ,, maybe then you would get a GC equivalent in QLD :roll:
Oh hell ,, lets all get involved and jump in and voice our ideas on how NSW can be a more regulated State :roll:

TomMcDonald

#7 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Coach wrote:
Moreton wrote:See Jeff (both of 'em)? This is the type of benefit I imagine we could have up here. This would be great for newcomers like me. There's the ADA hunter education courses, but they seem to be more for rifle hunters than us. I know it's not a popular idea up here, but I see a lot more to it than just the regulations and fee. As long as it involves lots of this kind of thing, I'm all for a version of the G.C in QLD. :)
So you want others to find your hunting properties for you ??? Fine dude .

One other question if I may ,, since when did we ask TBGA , an internet forum , to become involved in the GC and tell us how to hunt ? So is it now we have the GC and TBGA to answer to now ? Has TBGA now become another spokesperson for our hunting rights in NSW ?
dont remember being asked .
Maybe Ozbow should send some reps in to contribute as well ,, maybe then you would get a GC equivalent in QLD :roll:
Oh hell ,, lets all get involved and jump in and voice our ideas on how NSW can be a more regulated State :roll:
Coach, fill me in on the TBGA connection if you would.
Tom

Coach

#8 Post by Coach » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Tom ,, look at the flier that was posted ,,, it is ABA and TBGA offering the advice .
Since when has TBGA been the be all and end all of bowhunting ? They seem to be doing things behind the scenes without any of our support to better bowhunting . They have taken it upon themselves to represent us , without asking our permission .Who the hell do they think they are ??
I have seen on that site where they bag a kid that took a front on shot at a Deer and lost it ,telling him that front on shots are not on , then in another thread they congratulate someone that took a front on shot at a Buffalo that was aware and got it . So its alright to get it but dont lose it or otherwise we will crucify you !! Make up ya mind ,, a front on shot is either acceptable or it isnt ! And this was by the owner of the site !!!
So please tell me , how are they qualified to preach at a seminar ??

TomMcDonald

#9 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:16 pm

Whoops, didn't even notice. I was just lookin at all the pretty colours and that bow.

Maybe someone from TBGA is offering their services in exchange for plug for the website...
Tom

Coach

#10 Post by Coach » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:18 pm

tomalophicon wrote:.

Maybe someone from TBGA is offering their services in exchange for plug for the website...
Probably ,, but do you really want them offering "recommendations" without your input ?

jamie

#11 Post by jamie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:28 pm

would it make you happy coach if you were to know that ozbow has a member that will be an instructor at the bowhunting course.YES coach it's me
whack'em,stack'em,chill'em and grill'em

TomMcDonald

#12 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:29 pm

Coach wrote:
tomalophicon wrote:.

Probably ,, but do you really want them offering "recommendations" without your input ?
Actually, I think it's a ploy on the Game Council's part to get people to come along to the session; People who might consider TBGA to be some kind of authority (which we all know is impossible, considering it's made up of internet personalities with various levels of experience and intelligence). So they advertise that people from this great site will speak and the noobs will pile through the doors.
I think the fact that TBGA is mentioned needs to be taken more lightly.

There are some really knowledgeable members there, in my view, and I'd probably pay to go to a course run by some of them. I'm pretty inexperience though, not sure about you.
Tom

TomMcDonald

#13 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:30 pm

jamie wrote:would it make you happy coach if you were to know that ozbow has a member that will be an instructor at the bowhunting course.YES coach it's me
Great.
Is it expected that participants bring bows?
Tom

jamie

#14 Post by jamie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:33 pm

yes and i recommend arras as well :lol: :lol:

TomMcDonald

#15 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:36 pm

jamie wrote:yes and i recommend arras as well :lol: :lol:
:o :o :o :o :o :o
Tom

Benny Nganabbarru

#16 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:56 pm

The TBGA crew saw a way that they could lend a hand, and stepped-up. Their administrators and moderators are fine fellows (as are the ones here) who have the best interests of bowhunting at heart. Some new folks (and some not-so-new) would benefit from a bit of a "how-to" and "tricks-of-the-trade" weekend seminar. I do not believe there is anything bad-mannered or conceited about their being involved in this valuable endeavour. :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Nephew

#17 Post by Nephew » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:44 am

No Coach, I concede the point that I don't want others to find props for me, on that your right. I was waving the flag for the workshop idea on this one, kinda hoping one or more of our more experienced hunters might put their hands up and offer the same kind of thing...a weekend workshop ( Yes, this is me dropping hints...COACH!! :wink: :D ). One of the big reasons I'm attracted to this idea is apart from the knowledge gained, there is the camaraderie that can be achieved at weekend workshops without having to join an archery club where your expected to compete. I'm only competing against myself with archery and have no need to beat others, that's why I've never joined an archery club.
I'm not saying a G.C. is a perfectly conceived idea, I'm yet to see any such thing, but there are benefits. There are also cons to the notion too, but with input from folks just like your good self, we may, just may, be able to get closer to a better version. Having said that, there is one point that you wont get daylight between us on, that is the need for membership to be totally voluntary. I can't support the making of membership a mandatory requirement to hunt, and I might be wrong but I think it's that mandatory requirement that sticks in your craw about it? If so, we are in total agreement on that issue. :wink:
BTW Bud, when I write "See Jeff? " like that I'm not challenging you Dude, just trying to clarify my point. In retrospect I can see it looked a little smart-arsey, sorry mate. :oops:
I value our friendship, your experience and the good advice you have given me over the last couple of years way more than allegiance to an idea on something that doesn't even exist up here. It's basically just an intellectual exercise trying to work out how to make it a success. I think I've clearly made my opinion known, so I'll give this subject a miss from now on. :)

Al Kidner

#18 Post by Al Kidner » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:13 pm

I think the workshop is a good idea really. Someone has to put forward the best ways of hunting in the bush with a bow and if the crew over at TBGA want to help out then good luck to them. At the end of the day their helping some new fella into the sport... hopefully with the correct info.

As for the NSW GC.... I live in QLD some of my life so i've never really looked into it all that much so I can't pass comment on the matter. From what I see though.... I think it's maybe a good thing and maybe QLD should set up the same thing?

And I ditto what Ben K said as well.... I think your hanging onto things a little to tightly Coach... :wink:

ak.

Nephew

#19 Post by Nephew » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Al Kidner wrote:I think the workshop is a good idea really. Someone has to put forward the best ways of hunting in the bush with a bow and if the crew over at TBGA want to help out then good luck to them. At the end of the day their helping some new fella into the sport... hopefully with the correct info. ak.
Gee Al, that sounds a bit like your putting your hand up as an instructor. :wink: We need the best for that job, mate, and once the first has agreed more will come forward. Shall we start planning a weekend workshop for after your back home? :D

jamie

#20 Post by jamie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:19 pm

i believe graham cash,howard griffin,mick watts and possibly brad smith will be some of the instructors for the course these are all high calibre bowhunters imho so i believe the students will be in good hands.

trash one

#21 Post by trash one » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 am

The TRASH shoots are where different people [ even some people on here ] gave talks on things like maps and gps,slaughtering and butchering,string making, sharpening,bush tucker, first aid and what to put in your hunting pack, basic mechanics, and heaps more, all the shooting stuff was related to trad gear.
We shot 2 courses with broadheads 1 land and the other was canoe, for the next week we took the away people hunting and this was done with out the help of a GC you just have to get off your butt and start organising, it's a fair bit of work for some but well worth it.
Hope to do it again soon after I get some more of the renos done, better go, this written stuff takes me for ever and have to get the rest of the huntin gear ready.
CATCH YA
BUTCH

kimall

#22 Post by kimall » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:30 am

Yer Butch that sounds like the right idea just a fun get together with some stories and some advise all mixed up with some good humor. :D Although a course sounds like a good idea I think it would struggle to get off the ground.I will explain my thoughts but first Morton I have to disagree with the ADA Hunter Ed course being of little value for a bow hunter.I guess it would depend on the instructor for the paticular course but I did the course a few years ago and there was that much info I struggled to take it all in.Apart from the actual tool of choice for the harvest EVERYTHING else is just as relevant to bow hunters as rifle shooters.What has brought you too your conclusion mate I would be interested to hear.I am in the ADA but not a real active member really but get along too a few meetings but I needed it for a reason to own my rifle otherwise I am not a club type person.
I think there are a few hurdles as we see when we just try to organise a get together for a hunting weekend as distance seems to get in the way as well as a place to hold it if there is some hunting to be had.If a course is run then from what I have seen someone that calls themselves a teacher and does it more out of self gratification than to really help others(this is not meant to be aimed at the above course).The other thing that seems to be happening to the bow hunting community is the whole political correctness thing that we have to edit everything we say to a point where we may as well just take photos and not loose an arrow in case god forbid the animal does not just lay down and close its eyes.Some guys I talk to just could not be bothered to hunt with others because they don't feel the need to be judged buy others.I find in rifle hunting circles even though ethics of the guys I mix with are still very high(some passing up shots on deer for many years until a bigger one comes along)they are not afraid to admit that they do kill things and sometimes things don't always go right but that is part of the sport.Just as it is in bow hunting.We can most certainly give advice on shot placement and the like but who gives us the right to be judge and jury on another's shot I know this puts some off from the group thing.I have also found the rifle guys much happier to help with access to hunting properties in general.
But the biggest hurdle to hunter ed courses is that the next piece of wisdom given by someone that never does it will not be the first or last.
Cheers KIM

trash one

#23 Post by trash one » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:26 am

Hay Kim, We are pretty lucky we did this all out on a property near Boulia, reallygood way to check out other peoples camps, huntin packs, and styles.
CATCH YA
BUTCH

Al Kidner

#24 Post by Al Kidner » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:56 pm

As a former TRASHie you'd better let me know when the next weekend is on me 'ol mate Butcho or you and I are going to have words, followed up by a warm MILO!

ak.

Nephew

#25 Post by Nephew » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Kim, mate I just skimmed over an ad for it. That's why I said "SEEMS" to be for rifle hunters. Thanks for the info, now I'll take a deeper look.
Al, did you ignore that post about you putting your hand up as an instructor on purpose? :wink: :lol:
Hey Butch, what you described sounds exactly like what I'm imagining! Bloody brilliant idea!

trash one

#26 Post by trash one » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:13 pm

Hay Al.
Stop you are frightening the hell out of me, I think the boy's black banded you because of girl friend in the fish net stockings [what was her name grassy or fossy something like that ] that you had with you last time you were out here she tried to plant a kiss on me when Jeff was shooting those real hard bow birds in the creek. She rang up not long ago to say she was coming out huntin.

Hay Craig, it worked good for us.

CATCH YA
BUTCH

Nephew

#27 Post by Nephew » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:20 pm

So, when's it gonna happen again, big fella?

Coach

#28 Post by Coach » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm

A workshop to gain knowledge is a great idea , so long as it is kept to that and ideals and politics arent thrust upon the attendees :wink:

Al Kidner

#29 Post by Al Kidner » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:22 pm

Moreton, my time is rare mate and living in northern QLD will make things hard. Thanks for the offer though...

Yeh Butcho, I caught up with the fishnet fella last time I was up that way. With the little time off I get nowadays it makes things hard.

ak.

Nephew

#30 Post by Nephew » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:20 pm

No worries AL. I wasn't being truly serious anyway, Bud. :wink: