Book review - Wolf of the Plains

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

archangel

Book review - Wolf of the Plains

#1 Post by archangel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:23 pm

Just finished reading one of the best (could hardly put it down) books I have seen for some time. For those who love a good yarn wrapped around a afscinating historic figure, this one is worth the price.
If there is interest, I'll post some descriptive scenes from the book of Mongols using their bows in battle, hunting etc. A fellow reader's quote about the book puts it well:
Wolf of the Plains is Conn Iggulden's tale of the early years of none other than Mongolian warlord Genghis Khan, told through the eyes of a multitude of characters as well as the young Genghis himself; but this knowledge of who the central character will one day become does nothing to diminish this first part of the story's nail-biting, page-turning ability to grip the reader.

In fact Iggulden focuses on his characters and their struggles on the unforgiving and bleak Mongolian plains with such pace, intensity, and emotion that it's impossible to think of any of these events as pre-ordained or certain. The storytelling thunders onwards from chapter to chapter with barely a pause, and Temujin, the young Genghis, quickly becomes a character that readers will care about, making every brutal injustice, tense battle, or inspired success keenly felt.

But the book is not without its flaws. Characters can show an ability to change their outlooks and loyalties quite abruptly in ways that seem simply to suit the developing plot, which does detract from the overall, gritty realism that Iggulden succeeds in creating.

Despite these criticisms, Wolf of the Plains is an exciting, deeply gripping take on the history of the famous warlord that never really slows before reaching its powerfully-written final chapters. Once picked up, it can't easily be put down again; I eagerly await the forthcoming continuation of the series.

I would recommend this book to anybody, and would challenge them to resist being swept along by such a brilliantly told story. I just can't wait to get my hands on the next episode Lords of the Bow in January 2008.
Attachments
51lWES9ITkL__AA240_.jpg
51lWES9ITkL__AA240_.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 617 times
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." (Michelangelo Buonarroti)

TomW

#2 Post by TomW » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:35 am

Looks like my sort of book. I'm interested.
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

Len

#3 Post by Len » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:06 am

Yeah, fantastic book. Archangel beat me to it for a review. A couple of misleading facts about bows at the back of the book but otherwise a great read.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:12 pm

I borrowed Lochmoy's copy on his recommendation and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure it's not 100% historical fact, but it's not far off and the slight changes makes the reading far more enjoyable than just reading the 'dry' historical facts.

There's lots of archery in this book and from what I can make out, it's pretty accurately portrayed.

I was dead keen to buy myself a horsebow after reading the book, but I've now come back to my senses, thank goodness.

Read it for yourself, I'm sure you will enjoy it too.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.