Japanese bows

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Mububban

Japanese bows

#1 Post by Mububban » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:53 pm

Does anyone know anything about Japanese bows? I think they're called yumi. I was wondering why the top limb was so much longer than the bottom limb if they're not used exclusively on horseback? Also, how do they perform, and are they made of bamboo or another Japanese wood?

I've read various disparaging reports that the yumi could only spit an arrow 70 yards maximum, but I highly doubt that. If that's your maximum range, you may as well walk up to the guy and stab him with your arrow :)

The Last Samurai showed the Japanese bow in action. They didn't seem to be doing anything ludicrously hard or easy with it.

Has anyone ever used one before? How do they compare to other trad bows?

First Position

In the first position, that of notching the arrow, the feet are braced well apart, the body bent forward to relax the muscles, and the point of the arrow is inclined towards the ground.

Second position.

The bowman then, with great deliberation, raises the bow to the second position of aiming, both hands high over the head, fixing his intently upon the target.

Third position.

The bow is then slowly lowered to the final position. The instant this is reached, the string is released, the arrow flies through the air, and the bow spins around in the hand until the string strikes against the back of his bow arm. This trick of allowing the bow to whirl in the hand gives a most graceful finish to the whole operation.

Fourth position.

The string is pulled by the thumb, which in turn is held in place by the two first fingers that grasp the end of the thumb; they, like the thumb, are gloved. This method of holding the string admits of as strong a pull as the old English method of using he fingers, and gives a quicker release.

The notch of the arrow is pulled to the ear, a natural result of lowering the bow from overhead – a system that also brings into play the muscles of the shoulder and the back, for the bow-arm is all the while fully extended and rigid.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 2631 times

AntMob

#2 Post by AntMob » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:05 pm

Mububban- before I begin, let me say that I've not done any research, nor taken any steps collect information first hand. However, living in Japan and passing by kyudo ranges everyday, I will make an effort to find the answers to any specific questions that you may have. I'm also wondering about the differences in limb length. Please let me know if you would like me to ask a fair dinkum Japanese master. I would very much like to shoot a yumi myself, but do not have the interest (at this time) to learn kyudo. I'd just like to shoot one as I would a recurve or longbow, for curiosity's sake. I would presume that there is specific information on the internet regarding design history, types of woods, etc., but I know for sure they are made with a bamboo laminate. I live on Kyushu (the westernmost island) where famous yumi makers reside, so I may be able to follow up that lead as well. There may even be a kyudo club in an Oz capital city where you might be able to shoot a yumi and ya (arrow) yourself. I've read the (in)famous book 'Zen and the art of archery' by Eugen Herrigal and would highly recommend it. Kyudo (as you probably know) is a form of Zen meditation and when watching the masters shoot, that's exactly how it appears- "effortless". I agree with you that it seems dubious whether a yumi's maximum range is 70 yards- perhaps that refers to some of the bows used for kyudo, although I've heard that experienced kyudo practicers shoot quite heavy poundages. War bows would have had to shoot across battlefields and out to warships, so I suppose they must have been a significant poundage.
Entropy is Time's Arrow...

ed

#3 Post by ed » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:42 am

a lot of the modern yumi's are very light. There is no need for heavy poundages for kyudo, being both a meditative way and target archery.

There were many types of construction. The simplest was bamboo backed mulberry. These days there are all sorts of internal lamination methods depending on the maker. All have heat hardened bamboo backs and belly's but the internal laminations are combinations of wood and bamboo aswell. You can get "cheap" fibreglass ones aswell - I have a friend in Sydney that brings some in.

As for the practice, I have two friends that practice kyudo in Japan and love it, a third that used to hunt in the US that got mighty bored and also annoyed at the 35# bows. He is more interested in the warfare archery and that seems to be unavailable in his area. As for cast, these 35# bows will throw a 400 to 500 grain arrow between 150 to 200m. If you want to try one and live near Sydney then let me know and I will PM you the number of the guy that sells them - a sideline for him only as he sells them mostly to his martial arts students.

Running Bear Eagle Eye

#4 Post by Running Bear Eagle Eye » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 pm

G'day
I remember watching a video on bows that featured yumi bows and if i can remember correctly the bows had a short bottom limb in comparison to the top because the wood they used which i cant remember only grows to a certain height and one half of the tree is weaker than the other half so they lenghtened the stiffer limb and shortened the weaker limb to compensate.
i think this is the right reason but i watched the program some time ago.

Jhoneil

#5 Post by Jhoneil » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:43 pm

The lower limb is shorter so they can shoot it while riding a horse. There might be something about the types of materials used but I dont know. From what I observed, arrow flight is perfect on these bows. I should try it one day.
Cast in the name of god... ye not guilty

ed

#6 Post by ed » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:01 pm

also the original core woods (or even just belly wood as the earliest versions were only bamboo backed) was a mulberry branch and so were thicker at the bottom than at the top so this was a form of positive tillering - though it required the bow to twist in the hand during the draw and release.

rapsod

#7 Post by rapsod » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:46 am

Lower limb is shorter because they wanted to eliminate hand shock. In all bows there is hand shock because nodes of oscillations of 1st and 3rd harmonics are above and under hand grip. Japanese put handle in lower node because it is more practically and in that way eliminated 3rd harmonic and lower influence of 1st.

The Last Samurai Archer

Yumi bows

#8 Post by The Last Samurai Archer » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:28 am

g-day

i have and shoot a yumi bow, and its great, 45 pounds at 34 draw inchs the max distance i get with mine is 160-170 yards abouts,
mine is bamboo backed
i got mine from a mate whos had it for years. but it is something different to shoot and i love it, but the longbow is still better. :D 8)
see yas
I am the Warrior in whom the Old Ways Have Joined The New

rapsod

#9 Post by rapsod » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:06 am

Can you post picture of that yumi in unstrung position?

The Last Samurai Archer

Yumi Bows

#10 Post by The Last Samurai Archer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:05 am

sorry can's post pics yet lack a technology no digital camera or scanner so sorry i can post them to you befor next week though. 8) :D
I am the Warrior in whom the Old Ways Have Joined The New