Alaskan saying G'day

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Steve H.

Alaskan saying G'day

#1 Post by Steve H. » Mon May 15, 2006 3:35 am

So G'day. I haven't been down under yet but I'll get there, NZ too. Great site here. I surfed in once in the past but spent a bit of time here yesterday and liked what I saw.

Lived in the mid-west and high-plains but in our Great State now. Favorites are the mountain critters, mtn goats and sheep and spend a bit of time with the bears too, both black and brown. Lots of other critters too including caribou, and tropical island critters too similar to OZ critters, etc.

Shoot self-made laminated longbows and Ribbies on my "timbers" and occassionally a selfbow. I've been shooting Ribbies for about 10 years now.

Anyhow, I have this spot bookmarked now!

Glenn Newell

#2 Post by Glenn Newell » Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 am

Welcome Steve, glad to see you found your way down here. Would like to see photos of the bows you make and game you hunt...Glenn...

Steve H.

#3 Post by Steve H. » Mon May 15, 2006 7:09 am

Glenn,

Actually I met you briefly at MOJAM in 2000. You may actually have even "touched" some MOJO into the osage stave I wat whittlin on at the time. I have arrowed a big boar black bear and a whitetail doe with that bow and have taken her on two brown bear hunts with REALLY close calls.

Hmm, I'll have to see if I can figure out how to post a picture here.

Lets try an Aleutian Islands caribou for starters.

Tuffcity

#4 Post by Tuffcity » Mon May 15, 2006 8:12 am

Hey Steve,

Welcome aboard! This board has some good entertainment value too- especially once you learn the language. :D

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

aussiehunter

#5 Post by aussiehunter » Mon May 15, 2006 8:38 am

steve h, welcome to the site and ill second glenn, would enjoy seeeing ur bows and esp ur game..

u would have earned them.

cheers pat :)

erron

#6 Post by erron » Mon May 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Yes Steve, welcome to the site, and really hope you do make it downunder one day!

I third the request re: pics of your bows... :lol: 8)

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon May 15, 2006 6:31 pm

G'day Steve,

Glad you finally found your way here. Hope to see and here of some of your adventures on here.

You can upload your photos directly from your computer by using the 'Add an Attachment' section below where you type a post. There is no need for the use a photo hosting site.

Jeff

Poppy

#8 Post by Poppy » Mon May 15, 2006 7:30 pm

G'day Steve
Welcome to the site.
I hope you intend posting some photos of your back yard (Alaska).
I've just finished reading a book Hunting in Alaska by Christopher Batin, lots of info not much on the pic's
Sounds like a hunters paradise.
Cheers
Paul

Steve H.

#9 Post by Steve H. » Tue May 16, 2006 5:51 am

I attempted again but I don't see a post yet so maybe I have a lag time with it working its way thru the servers or?

I did the "Browse" and selected a .jpg

Then I clicked on the "Add Attachment" button

It looked like it was doing "something" but I refreshed and didn't see my post so did I do it wrong, again, or do I just need to be more patient?

Steve H.

#10 Post by Steve H. » Tue May 16, 2006 6:17 am

There's the problem. Over 200 KB!

Try #4 should stick!
Attachments
th_SteveAdakBou3.jpg
th_SteveAdakBou3.jpg (3.95 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

Steve H.

#11 Post by Steve H. » Tue May 16, 2006 6:32 am

Ok, I'm goina have to work on that thinning thing. I really ain't a 1 inch high midget!

jindydiver

#12 Post by jindydiver » Tue May 16, 2006 8:28 am

Ripper of a caribou mate. The area you shot it in looks all grassy and lush, is that the way it is on the islands, rather than the crappy tundra you see other guys hunt them in.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Steve H.

#13 Post by Steve H. » Tue May 16, 2006 10:12 am

Yeah, it was very lush grass in the areas with soil. These caribou get huge, even over 700#, err I mean 320 kg out there partly cause there is such great feed (Adak Island in the Aleutians Chain).

I have hunted them in that crappy "tussucks" country too and it is no fun to stumble thru.

We'll get some more pics up when I can figure out how to reduce the pixel sizes (I have some on "Photobucket", maybe I will try that for now...

Steve H.

#14 Post by Steve H. » Tue May 16, 2006 10:14 am

Much better!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue May 16, 2006 10:32 am

Steve & All,

I split this thread since the hunting adventure “A Year of Longbows in Alaska” deserves a thread of its own in the 'Hunting & Fishing' forum. :D

Very nice animal by the way Steve.

Jeff