Sending Longbows with Aus. Post

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Pete

Sending Longbows with Aus. Post

#1 Post by Pete » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:39 pm

G'day,
was just wondering if any of you fellas had any trouble with sending a longbow through Australia Post. I just went to send one and they said it was too long, the limit bein 105cm's...The funny thing is i'm sending it in the same cardboard cylinder that i got another bow sent to me in, via regaitered australia post. within australia :shock:
Anyone know a way around it? Or will i just have to send it via courier.

Cheers,
Pete F

Sparra

#2 Post by Sparra » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:55 pm

Gaday Pete..If it's not too much too long you can string it and send it..that takes care of a couple of inches....
Regards...Sparra

Bullwinkle

#3 Post by Bullwinkle » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:22 pm

Find a courier company. They are often cheaper and also the insurance is better.
Cheers, Fenton.

Pete

#4 Post by Pete » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:33 pm

G'day,
Thanks fellas, Its 62' so stringing it wont shorten it enough....howvere i thought of another option, Sawing t in half, that could work.Dont think he'd be to happy though :D

Fenton, looks like it will be via courier, will be a bit more than i paid to get it delivered, but atleast it will get there. Probably cheaper to drive it :? there myself.

Thanks,
Pete F

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:19 pm

Pete

You might have some trouble posting the Martin Stick because of the length of it. If you managed to find a post office that would accept it, it would travel though the system alright. As you have stated, Australia Post delivers long parcels all the time, but they will only accept ones no longer than 1.05 meters in length. In fact I've seen parcels longer than two long bows, end to end come though the parcel post system. It seems big business can post whatever but you and I can't.

Private couriers might be your only choice. They will be a damned sight more expensive than Australia Post though.

I hope it works out for you mate. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:55 pm

They will be a damned sight more expensive than Australia Post though.
Not necessarily so. In recent times I have been able to Air freight longbows cheaper than Australia Post prices (if they carried them). I was using a prepaid docket.

Memo it would also be worth trying the bus companies to send the bow. In the past I found their prices quite reasonable and were reliable.

Jeff

trash boss

#7 Post by trash boss » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:58 pm

Post wont accept it because it goes over the lenght requirements. The max is 1.05 metres long unless you take full responsibility for the parcel if it gets damaged.

Jo

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:31 pm

Jeff

Just out of curiosity what sort of money have you paid to air freight longbows within Australia?

This will be great news for members in Pete's situation, if longbows can be transported around the country at reasonable prices.

I was very surprised when made some phone enquiries with companies like Ipec and TNT when I sold a bow and tried posting it interstate. It was more than the bow was worth. :shock: The postage would have been $10.40 based on the weight of the bow. I ended up posting it, but I had to use devious means.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Pete

#9 Post by Pete » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:12 pm

The local courier co has got the bow atm, and will get back to me tomorrow about the exact price, shouldn't be any more than $35. Hopefully it wont be any more expensive than that. $10.40 i would pay that. I'll let yous know how i go anyway. I'll contact Austrlian Air Express tomorrow anyway and get a quote. Has anyone had any experience dealing with them? can you send a longbow through them, i have been sent a fishing rod in ploy-pipe through them ok.

Thanks for the help
Pete F

bsrecurve

#10 Post by bsrecurve » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:00 pm

i have no idea about the cost, but i used to work for startrack express in brisbane (as a freight handler) and all i can recomend is this: regardless of what courier company you use and regardless of what they claim in terms of "carefull" freight handling, be sure to pack that bow extra carefull. this means a poly tube (or something equally as strong) and plenty of good padding inside. also make sure the ends of the tube are sealed-up strong and tight.

timbo

#11 Post by timbo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:15 pm

Hi Pete,
Happy to kick in a bit more if it helps to cover the extra postage/frieght.

Cheers Tim
Get Up, Get Out, and Get into em!

yeoman

#12 Post by yeoman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:39 am

It sure is unusual, as I've a friend who got a longbow in the mail. In the order of 65" or so, no problems. All the post offices I've spoken to said they won't accept anything longer than 105cm. :?

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

Buford

#13 Post by Buford » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:28 am

try TOLL courriers, I sent my longbow to tassie using an 'under 3kg' pre paid label on a pvc tube for less than 20 or 30 bucks.
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:15 am

Mick & Others,

I have used Australian Air Express a number of times. A 3KG pre paid docket costs $21.00. This is to anywhere in Australia and most times over night. Last time I sent two longbows in a PVC tube to Mt Isa and it was just under the 3kgs so cost $21.00.

At the beginning of this year I sent a computer tower to Brisbane. I had used Aust Post a couple of years ago but this time they said nope the dimentions are to big (what a joke). If they would have taken it they said it would have cost around $40.00 - $50.00 if I remember correctly. I sent it by courier and it cost $22.00-$23.00.

No offence intended to Mick or Jo as I know you both work for them but Aust Post's parcel service, or lack of I should say, is pathetic now days IMO.
Post wont accept it because it goes over the lenght requirements. The max is 1.05 metres long unless you take full responsibility for the parcel if it gets damaged.
Jo,

Can you tell us more regarding this as I have never had any offer to accept the parcel if I accept such responsibility? They have only ever just refused to take the parcels full stop. Thanks.

Jeff

Pete

#15 Post by Pete » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:33 pm

On it's way. Has been sent via courier for $27.00. Lets hope nothing else goes wrong.

Timbo, no need matey. Sold it including post, that'll teach me for assuming that aussie post would do it.
you should be able to pick it up at the depot early next week, or even this friday.

Cheers,
Pete Farrar

Mick Smith

#16 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:39 pm

That's good news Pete. You seemed to come out of it reasonably well in the end. 8) I've been caught like that too. You live and learn.

Jeff, I'll remember the prepaid Australian Air Express trick next time I want to ship a bow interstate. $21 isn't a lot to pay compared to some quotes I've been given from private couriers. By the way, I believe Australia Post has a major share in Australian Air Express. :lol:

Mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:08 pm

By the way, I believe Australia Post has a major share in Australian Air Express.
I was told that near the end of last year I think it was. When Aust Post got the shares the freight prices went up as well - quite considerably actually. I send birds interstate occasionally and the freight prices went up over 50% in one hit. Thanks Aust Post I musn't say. Do you think I don't like Aust Post, you're absolutely right! :D

Jeff