Interesting observation regarding Longbow/Recurve

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

littlejohn59

Interesting observation regarding Longbow/Recurve

#1 Post by littlejohn59 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:17 pm

:Bow

Over the last couple of years for fun i have observed how many longbows/recurves are entered in a competition and what place the top 10 bows were in Trad shoots.

In the top 5, generally 3 recurves and 1 or 2 longbows.
In the top 10, 7 recurves and 3 longbows.

The result is much the same for women as well as the mens

Generally also, more recurves are shot than longbows; both in the mens and the womens divisions.

This has no bearing whatsoever on the universe, but something i found intriguing.

Roadie

Re: Interesting observation regarding Longbow/Recurve

#2 Post by Roadie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:30 pm

The answer to your question littlejohn59 is 42. Cheers Roadie. Still :Bow

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:05 pm

another observation too is often the score differences between the bow types.
If we all shot a single arrow at exactly the same time would the arrows in the northern parts of Australia hit the target before or after the southern parts or does that only depend on the distance travelled. - see it could have a bearing on the universe.. :biggrin:

cheers
sue

littlejohn59

#4 Post by littlejohn59 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:22 pm

So the meaning of life is 42! Thank you Roadie!

I also have a headache now! Thankyou Sue!

The Ranger

#5 Post by The Ranger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:47 am

Crikey Littlejohn, if 42 is the meaning of life and I'm 43 years old, does that mean I'm one year over the hill? :lol:

Ranger
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:26 am

Littlejohn59,

The following numbers from a recent traditional shoot may provide part of the reason for the disparity.

Men’s longbow; 12.

Men’s recurve; 29.

Lady’s longbow; 7.

Lady’s recurve; 11.

Cub’s longbow; 3.

Cub’s recurve; 9.

Another point to ponder, how many out of the top five or ten were left handed?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Kendaric

#7 Post by Kendaric » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:42 pm

And of those longbows, how many were straight longbows and how many semi-recurve modern longbows :)

littlejohn59

#8 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:08 pm

I wasn't aware of the infamous number 42 till Roadie wrote it. Apparently it refers to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as the "Answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything".

No Ranger, you are not 1 year over the hill now. You are 1 number that succeeds 42....... :wink:

The headache might spread to a migraine now with that mollyduker question. Thank you Greybeard

AHHH kendaric Back to that universal question.....What is a LONGBOW...

Its Long and its a bow. How long is long? How long is a piece of string?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am now just gunna sit back and watch the thread grow or die and observe some more!

little arrows

#9 Post by little arrows » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:05 pm

I can answer one of the questions - how long is a piece of string.......................... it's twice the distance from the centre .... :lol:

cheers
sue

ice pack Ian !!! :smile:

perry

#10 Post by perry » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:39 pm

A long Bow is held long ways cause a Crossbow is held cross ways :lol: and another Question - Why is 42 divided by pi rounded to the second decimal 13,37 ? :geek:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

scuzz

#11 Post by scuzz » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:28 am

Kendaric wrote:And of those longbows, how many were straight longbows and how many semi-recurve modern longbows :)
There's always one person who stirs the pot! :lol:

While I apprecite all of the philosophical thoughts on the number 42, I find the consideration between recurve and longbow interesting. If we had an analysis taken from a few shoots, considering whether the ratio of recurves-to-longbows attending shoots were pretty close to the ratio of recurves-to-longbows making the shootouts. If this were the case, we could conclude that there isn't really much difference or advantage in shooting different bow types :Bow

Cheers,
Scuzz

Kendaric

#12 Post by Kendaric » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:20 am

scuzz wrote: If this were the case, we could conclude that there isn't really much difference or advantage in shooting different bow types.
True enough, both have there pros and cons. Recurves shoot faster and flatter for the same draw weight, and longbows are more forgiving. Longbows tend to throw a heavy arrow particularly well. The recurve tends to have a larger riser and more mass which helps keep the bow arm more stable after the release. The longbow shooter with his lighter mass bow has to be more conscious of keeping their bowarm more stable after the release.

Whilst at some shoots, the difference between scores can be minor, but generally I have found that recurve scores are quite a bit higher and this I believe is because the cut-out window of the recurve lends itself very well to aiming techniques, particularly using the window configuration or shaping/laminations/pictures, camo or makers marks to use as a aiming reference, sort of like 'claytons' sights (the sights you have, when you are not using sights) I've done this myself. This is a lot harder to do with a longbow, and generally isn't.

UPTHETOP

#13 Post by UPTHETOP » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:28 pm

I'll be honest everybody knows recurves are easier to shoot full stop. Sorry but my mother taught me never to lie. I'LL run away now before the barrage comes.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

kimall

#14 Post by kimall » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:56 pm

Wayno I had forgotten why I dislike you so much but now I remember.......... :naughty:
How could you say such a thing....?
One day I will let you shoot a proper longbow.
Cheers KIM

UPTHETOP

#15 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:39 pm

DEFIANT to the end Kim, DEFIANT to the end.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.