Mick Smith, Check it out.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Mick Smith, Check it out.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi Mick.

The Trans-Tasman is currently on which is a competitive event shot each year in Oz or NZ for Youth Archers.

So this is the target that a couple were shooting at 50m.
chkitout.jpg
chkitout.jpg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
A lesson in how it should be done being handed out. And there was some wind around. Note: Individual faces so this is just the central section of the 'usual' target - it helps to reduce the number of arrows that get smashed, people get their own target.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Roadie

Re: Mick Smith, Check it out.

#2 Post by Roadie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:41 pm

And not a Wooden Arrow to be seen, or a Goose Feather, What a Pity. Cheers Roadie.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:55 pm

This is not a Target Archery forum. :roll:

Jeff

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:20 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Mick.

The Trans-Tasman is currently on which is a competitive event shot each year in Oz or NZ for Youth Archers.

So this is the target that a couple were shooting at 50m.
Hi Grahame. That's some impressive shooting. 50m is a long shot in anyone's book. Coincidently, I shot a couple of rounds of 3D yesterday. What made it different for me, was that there were no trad pegs, so I shot from the compounders pegs. The ranges were very daunting at first, at just under 50m, but after a while I actually managed to hit one.
Roadie wrote:And not a Wooden Arrow to be seen, or a Goose Feather, What a Pity. Cheers Roadie.
Come on Roadie, when was the last time you saw a goose feather that wasn't on a goose? They're not used much these days. I had my big chance to have a whole goose one day. It was a big white one and it was lying dead on the side of the road. The trouble was, I was running late for work, so I thought I'd collect it on the way home, but you guessed it, it was gone by then.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hardgainer

#5 Post by hardgainer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:44 pm

I hope this doesn't sound to out there but I have a Book that documets a 1938 champion USA archer putting 6 arrows in the spot at 60 yards . Longbow... wooden arrows... of the knuckle.
I will try and post the page.

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:38 am

Hi Mick.
Mick Smith wrote:... That's some impressive shooting. 50m is a long shot in anyone's book. Coincidently, I shot a couple of rounds of 3D yesterday. What made it different for me, was that there were no trad pegs, so I shot from the compounders pegs. The ranges were very daunting at first, at just under 50m, but after a while I actually managed to hit one.
Well since you have upgraded your arrows you should be capable of such now...

You are correct. The distance goes out and things become a challenge. However, with a bit of practice you start to hit unfortunately, for me, the group rarely seems to get small.
Roadie wrote:And not a Wooden Arrow to be seen, or a Goose Feather, What a Pity.
Hi Grant.

IMHO There would not be that many people on this Forum who own a set of arrows with Goose feathers or even seen one.

The only reason we don't see things like that with wood arrows & feathers sticking out is people don't do it. Now if people were to step back to the early 20C or 19C then we would see it.

I will find you a photo of feathers and alloy shafts, they were around pre-'the date'.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Roadie

#7 Post by Roadie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Afternoon Mick & Grahame, don't you Folks have a Goose for Christmas Lunch.
And I still have some arrows fitted with Goose Feathers, Also have BLACK feathers on my Flu Flus from another water Bird. Cheers Roadie.

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:Afternoon Mick & Grahame, don't you Folks have a Goose for Christmas Lunch.
And I still have some arrows fitted with Goose Feathers...
I said:
GrahameA wrote:IMHO There would not be that many people on this Forum who own a set of arrows with Goose feathers or even seen one. ....
Now, I have a set of Arrows with Canadian Goose feather fletches and you need to eat a few geese if want enough fletches to fletch a set. You will only four feathers per bird and that be enough for four fletches - 2 X right and 2 X left. That works out at 9 Geese - so you will need a few friends or a large family and a large Kitchen. The last time I would have had any Goose at Xmas would have been 1965 and it was a Toulouse.

Goose feather fletches are extremely rare. Even Turkey feathers are not as easy to get as they once were. :D

I can supply photos.
Grahame.