Is't It Funny HOW

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Roadie

Is't It Funny HOW

#1 Post by Roadie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:50 pm

We rely on Technology.
I have just spent the Last 8/10 days without a computer, got a BAD virus from a so called Safe Site.
I can live without the mobile phone, mine is so OLD Mark Antony was using to call Cleopatra way back then, I don't have message bank etc. If some one calls me and I hear it I will answer, if not if it's important they will call again. 95 percent of the time it sits in the car. I never take it with me.
Now this Dam computer, I thought I could live without it, BUT NO, once my friend sorted the problems out, I had 138 emails to sort through, 90 percent was crap, the others were from friends wishing me well, one was from an Old Army mate from the First Iraq war in 1990 telling me he is now living in Japan, and another telling me he has retired to Denver Colorado. So we Do Need the DAM things. Cheers Roadie.

bigbob

Re: Is't It Funny HOW

#2 Post by bigbob » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Yup, couldn't live without my 'puter now.It is an extremely useful tool when used correctly and does make life easier.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:01 am

Hi Roadie
Roadie wrote:We rely on Technology.
I have just spent the Last 8/10 days without a computer, got a BAD virus from a so called Safe Site.
I can live without the mobile phone, mine is so OLD Mark Antony was using to call Cleopatra way back then, I don't have message bank etc. If some one calls me and I hear it I will answer, if not if it's important they will call again. 95 percent of the time it sits in the car. I never take it with me.
Now this Dam computer, I thought I could live without it, BUT NO, once my friend sorted the problems out, I had 138 emails to sort through, 90 percent was crap, the others were from friends wishing me well, one was from an Old Army mate from the First Iraq war in 1990 telling me he is now living in Japan, and another telling me he has retired to Denver Colorado. So we Do Need the DAM things. Cheers Roadie.
I have a mobile phone, it spends its days connected to the charger so the batteries stay charged. If people want to get in contact with me it is not the device to use. Send an eMail or phone me at home.

Info' Tech'. I first got my fingers on a 'Computer' a few years ago ....... back in the days when there where mainframes or nothing, they were big and COBOL was the language for business use and FORTRAN was the stuff for everything else. Then came Midis, Minis and eventually PCs and more recently smaller handheld devices. I remember intimately the days of 80 Column punchcards, 40 column portapunch cards, punch-tape, etc,. etc. Crikey I even have an Atari and very early Macintosh .... in working order.

I find my PC is great for doing some jobs and with the change in communication it is very handy for sending messages or chatting with someone via Skype.

It is a great tool for doing the things it does well however it is just a tool.

Do I need the 'damn' thing (or the other few scattered around)? Well .......... only if I need to use them to do things. At last check they were not that good at helping me to catch fish ...... although they are excellent at acting as a storage method for keeping a record of the conditions/results of time spent trying to catch fish .......... then again so does a small notebook.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

alaninoz

#4 Post by alaninoz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:20 pm

I keep my mobile phone for family emergencies and that's about it. Most people who know me don't have the number.

I do, though, spend WAY too much time on the computer. But then IT was what I did for 40 years at work. (Grahame - was that paper tape 8 channel or 5 channel?) I use the computer as a tool, as a source of information, and as entertainment. I'd have problems living without it at home, but when I'm away from home I'd don't miss it much.
Alan

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:33 am

Morning
alaninoz wrote:... (Grahame - was that paper tape 8 channel or 5 channel?) ....
I am very unsure however a bit of a guess and trying to visualise the tape and I would venture 5. The 'chaff' was very oily and made great confetti for weddings.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:17 pm

ahhhh the joys of pencil on scan card oops do not drop them.......ahhh the joy of writing in FORTRAN WAT IV /V........the joy of booking time on the main computer..........the phone call from the computer geek complaining that I did something that made the computer spit every one else's cards out all over the floor.

Still got my phone in the carry bag and my first brick sitting in a bow in the garage along with my pager. In the same box is a working cassette recorder, Commodore 64 and a working Polaroid camera.........my great grandchildren will scratch their heads.

I still have a working overhead projector, a Bell and Howell combined cassette projector and viewing screen and an epidiascope.
I gave my Gestetner to a nut printing hoarder mate.

Each item supplied by a boss at work. As each was issued you knew you were on the way......exciting times

Do not ask what else is in my 5 garages because none of the cars are. No I did not build the garages......they came with the house.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.