Alone in Northern Canada - how would you cope?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Chase N. Nocks

Alone in Northern Canada - how would you cope?

#1 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Hey fellas, (edited title - originally said Alaska)

I meant to share this link about 12 months ago when I first encountered it.

It is a very real and interesting piece – part one is linked here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xugVC41uHbs

The other parts I will link soon, when I can.

actually if you have the time here is the link to the full version about 2.5 hours http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbz5TDy6fs

What this man does is something that I reckon many of us here would love to attempt, and maybe some of us may actually get to do it. It can be a little confronting with the emotional honesty and the deterioration of his mental and physical condition.

It was also a good study in equipment and preparedness. I think he put in a good effort and his understandable anxiety over encounters with bears quickened his culminating emotional exhaustion. Especially with sleepless nights added to the extremely low nutritional intake he was playing a balancing act that I think he actually pushed very close to survival, regardless of having what some might consider the soft option of radio contact/help.

Any of us lucky enough to copy such an endeavor might take on board the extra study and preparedness that would help. Better survival training. Better idea of game availability and movements – he is not a hunter and his foraging/fishing options produced far too limiting options.

And if I were lucky enough to do this it would definitely be with a good mate. A tastier and slower mate maybe. :wink:
Personally I would have given the canoe and different locations on the lake a bit more of a chance before going the hiking route.

Anyway, I think a lot of you fellas might enjoy this.
Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Chase N. Nocks

Re: Alone in Northern Canada - how would you cope?

#2 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:18 am

Hey fellas,

I edited the title last night after I started to re-watch the film.

Wow. I am surprised that there haven't been any comments. I really enjoyed it.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

hutcho

#3 Post by hutcho » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:57 am

I watched it last night (ended up going to be after 01:00hrs...

I agree that his wilderness experience (or lack) made it harder than necessary on himself - but he did what he did and survived.

I reckon if I was as hungry as he was the large game would have been fair game!

Chase N. Nocks

#4 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Hey Hutcho,

Personally I would have done a lot more to prepare. And taken a lot more food - especially rice, noodles, dehydrated food stuffs.

I think I would have kept the day camp and made it more robust and comfortable and taken more day trips in different directions.

I remember that movie "Into the Wild" with the young romantic perishing in an abandoned bus in Alaska and how a little bit of exploration was just one of the ingredients that would have saved his life. He was not able to cross the flooded river once his supplies and strength had become dangerously low. But if he had done a bit more exploring in the four months he was there he would have found a bridge only a mile and a half from his location.

I believe he only survived as long as he did was the fortuitous luck of finding the abandoned bus that happened to have a wood stove inside.

Interesting movie that made me go home and immediately stick Jeremiah Johnson DVD on.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Chase N. Nocks

#5 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Here is another fascinating film.

Some of you have probably already encountered this one, even while just viewing the previous links I posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

A terrific tale about a much more long term decision.

Enjoy.
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:02 am

Ok, I've been checking this out and it seems to me the trick is, don't just go on one trip and stay until you fail, do a few smaller duration trips until you have learned to read that particular land. After all, pre-historic man didn't do it on his own, he had others to combine efforts with, and many generations of knowledge of his area to go on. To do it one-out requires preparation and planning (which this chap has done) with small recon trips before going all Jeramiah Johnson. What do you think, Troy?

This bloke is living my dream! :smile: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2b7_1381806645
Last edited by Nephew on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:17 am

Morning Troy and Craig.

A suggestion. If you can get it from your local library (or splurge and buy a copy from Amazon) 'Nahhani' by Dick Turner.

It is no great adventure story just a tale of living in the NWT (North West Territory) earlier last century and what the people who lived in the area went through ...... and survived.

http://www.amazon.com/Nahanni-Dick-Turner/dp/0919654460

And when you enjoy that read 'Wings of the North' by the same author.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

#8 Post by Nephew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 am

Will do, Grahame, thanks for that. Speaking of wilderness authors, I saw the film adaption of Jack Londons "Call of the Wild" on tele the other day, Charlton Heston ruined it for me. He's so wooden, and he just plays "Charlton Heston" in every role! The dogs were the stars of the film for me, I just hope the film makers didn't hurt them the way it looks like they did! They got away with a lot more in 1972.

Chase N. Nocks

#9 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 am

Nephew wrote:Will do, Grahame, thanks for that. Speaking of wilderness authors, I saw the film adaption of Jack Londons "Call of the Wild" on tele the other day, Charlton Heston ruined it for me. He's so wooden, and he just plays "Charlton Heston" in every role! The dogs were the stars of the film for me, I just hope the film makers didn't hurt them the way it looks like they did! They got away with a lot more in 1972.
Blasphemer!!!! I will not have you speak of Moses in that disrespectful tone.

Good old chuck hey. I'll have you know he was the bastion of SciFi leading men when I was growing up.. Soylent Green, Omega Man, Planet of the Apes. :wink:

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Fanto

#10 Post by Fanto » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 am

thanks for this link i really enjoyed the video!

I agree with some of the comments above except i dont think old mate should have taken any more gear. His biggest problem in my view was his lack of mobility due to the extremely punishing task of carrying his pack.

perhaps he would have done better if he had made a base camp and then gone out on short missions in various directions for a day or a few days at a time, hunting.

Also, It was infuriating that he couldnt take big game, peraps he should have gone in hunting season or with a permit.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Chase N. Nocks

#11 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:18 am

GrahameA wrote:Morning Troy and Craig.

A suggestion. If you can get it from your local library (or splurge and buy a copy from Amazon) 'Nahhani' by Dick Turner.

It is no great adventure story just a tale of living in the NWT (North West Territory) earlier last century and what the people who lived in the area went through ...... and survived.

http://www.amazon.com/Nahanni-Dick-Turner/dp/0919654460

And when you enjoy that read 'Wings of the North' by the same author.
Thanks Grahame,

just ordered a copy through Abe Books - more reasonable shipping fee. About $20 all up.

Caveat - that was for a former library book BTW - new volumes seemed to be very expensive.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Gringa Bows

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 am

Troy I watched a bit of it last night and what I saw was interesting, i'll have to watch more of it tonight thanks for putting it up mate.. :wink:

Chase N. Nocks

#13 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:49 pm

Nephew wrote:Ok, I've been checking this out and it seems to me the trick is, don't just go on one trip and stay until you fail, do a few smaller duration trips until you have learned to read that particular land. After all, pre-historic man didn't do it on his own, he had others to combine efforts with, and many generations of knowledge of his area to go on. To do it one-out requires preparation and planning (which this chap has done) with small recon trips before going all Jeramiah Johnson. What do you think, Troy?

This bloke is living my dream! :smile: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2b7_1381806645
I know what you are saying Craig but I think considerations such as finances, logistics and visas would have played a role in his decision. I have not thought to ask him some of those questions directly.

You are essentially correct - no man is an island - (although from what I have read of Jeramiah Johnson he came damned close. His single handed and personal war with the Crow Indians makes for very interesting reading.)

I think he did pretty well all told. His fear of bears as also close to manic and I can't say seriously if I might have fared any better. Certainly locals seem to have a different take on these things but to put it in perspective - I know foreigners that have come here and are constantly wide eyed at the prospect of encountering the worlds deadliest snakes and spiders and swimming is never relaxing for some of them waiting to be stung by a box jellyfish, or stand on a stone fish or blue ringed octopus and add in the random daily death of a tourist by crocodile and shark. :roll: :biggrin:

As Fanto and I commented on - a base camp would have served him so much better. His bear fence seemed like a reasonable precaution and I am sure he could have taken back up battery/solar recharger. Planning on staying 3 months I would have done a bit more scouting around over the first week or two. Maybe there was a better spot near by? What research had he done on game? never really explained. He caught fish the first night and then nothing after - seems a bit odd and he should have maybe planned to employ a few different fishing methods??

I also think having a mate along would have made a far for rewarding experience and one that he may have been able to see to the end. I understand the challenge he was chasing by doing it alone but I think it was far too ambitious without a greater preparations in almost all areas. He had an abundance of some resources (water, wood) and a seeming lack of others (food). So I would have taken a lot of rice and dehydrated meals as a backup. He also seems to have had the availability of backup drops etc.

I guess he made his own choices with it's own costs and penalties as well as it's rewards and enlightenment.

I wonder if he is DONE with the experience or if he might have another go? Maybe in a different wilderness?

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Chase N. Nocks

#14 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:01 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Troy I watched a bit of it last night and what I saw was interesting, i'll have to watch more of it tonight thanks for putting it up mate.. :wink:
Your welcome Rod, I am enjoying it the second time through as well.

I was fascinated by his emotional reaction to the plane that flew overhead only 4 days? into the adventure. I guess the magnitude and excitement were still finding it's balance and the sense of isolation must have seemed profound.

He was no newcomer to adventure having climbed Mt Everest and something else he mentioned I can't recall. But certainly Mt Everest is very much a group adventure for the most part. Though hanging by a string 10000 feet above the ground would be pretty lonely as well I reckon. :shock: For me personally it would induce a complete catatonic episode.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Chase N. Nocks

#15 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Guided Trek to the North Pole was his other well known adventure.

I just remembered.
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Nephew

#16 Post by Nephew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Mate, those mozzies terrified me, let alone the idea of being out there alone with bears in the district! Seems to me that it's the battle with ones own mind that provides the greatest challenge to begin with, like the struggle with his own overwrought reaction to seeing a plane fly over without acknowledging him, and after only four days! Then there is the reasonable and sensible fear of bears, considering he says himself he just doesn't know enough about them to know when to be scared, and when it's ok to not be scared. I know finding that bear poo, then spotting the bear, would have thrown me a curve, sanity wise, for a while! I suppose it would depend on personality type & varying shades thereof, experience, mental resilience, etc but I wonder if given enough time, say a year, would you eventually mellow out or go even more feral?

Chase N. Nocks

#17 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Hey Craig,

Hell yeah! I forgot about the Mozzies. Even the bears probably talk about it being a bad place to be I reckon.

Just as a subtle security blanket I would have have a wee bit of a campfire going every night.

I think the nights must have only been a few hours long by the looks of it regardless this will give you a glimpse

........uhm, without the cheer leading moves of course!!!
Attachments
bonfire.jpg
bonfire.jpg (51.1 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Nephew

#18 Post by Nephew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Is that a shot from last time you got on the grog, Troy? :wink: :lol:

Gringa Bows

#19 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:37 am

Just watched the whole thing,dont usually watch TV or movies because I loose interest pretty quick,but enjoyed that....... :biggrin:

Chase N. Nocks

#20 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Hey Rod,

Finished watching it for the second time the other night.

The last 20-30 minutes don't have as much of the wilderness as the focus point that I had enjoyed and there was a lot of crying but it was uncomfortably fascinating to see that level of emotional and physical deterioration that he encountered.

Some you tube posters have said that he should have shot a moose as he would not have gotten in trouble it being a survival situation but they seem to have forgotten that it was a simulated survival situation. He had a faster way out of his situation by simply making a call. Faster than harvesting a 800kg animal with an inadequate firearm and then the laborious task of processing that meat. Oh Boy!!! Then the grizzlies would have a come around for a visit.

I have tried to find some more information online about his equipment and preparations for the trip. But to no avail. I did like the fact, even though I am a gun person, that he did not feel the need to wave the guns in the camera every opportunity and they got treated just like tools. I notice he was carrying a .44 on his hip. Which I never saw pulled nor do I think it was even mentioned.

Yes I enjoyed the series also. Just some extra information from Ed Wardle would be nice.

Cheers
Troy

BTW I spend almost zero time watching TV like you but I find You Tube while largely filled with pimply immature nonsense still has many 1000's of untapped hours of really great knowledge sharing. I actually take heart in knowing that some skills that were threatened with extinction or obscurity are now being encountered and practiced by enthusiasts all over the world. I makes up the bulk of any screen time I am able to steal.
"Shooting the Stickbow"

GrahameA

#21 Post by GrahameA » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi Troy.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:I think the nights must have only been a few hours long by the looks of it...
Shorter than you think.

Have a look at the sunrise and sunset times for mid-summer.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/a ... =-11&day=1
Chase N. Nocks wrote:.... Just some extra information from Ed Wardle would be nice. ....
Follow some of the links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Wardle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_in_the_Wild
http://www.edwardle.tv/Where%20is%20Ed%20Now.htm

My opinion is that he is either mad or has a death-wish. re 'Shackleton' after already having one bad experience.
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/in-depth/ ... 67.article
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Tom Alker

#22 Post by Tom Alker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:06 am

If my performance at "camping" at the corrival is any indication of my chances, i will be dead within the first night.
Perpetual Curiosity.

bstan86

#23 Post by bstan86 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:43 pm

loosly related i know - but very relevent info for us regarding longer term bush living/survival in australia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTK6Z6oCT3g

there are a couple of sequels and some other videos by the same user - well worth checking out imo. i like his honesty and pragmatism - and the fact that he's not really trying to make money out've the whole thing (unlike bear grills - as a good example) just sharing info. the fact that he's lived in the aussy bush - seemingly with very little - for 40-ish years IIRC also helps.