New TV show - "Vikings"

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

discord

New TV show - "Vikings"

#1 Post by discord » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:49 pm

I just finished watching episode 1 of the new show "Vikings" that screened on the History Channel in the US Sunday night. It's touted as an "historical drama", set during the early medieval period. It wasn't bad, they seem to be trying to be as authentic as possible, with a bit of explanation (history lesson) cleverly interwoven with the story and of course gratuitous (authentic :smile: ) violence. The story itself was compelling enough to make me want to watch the next one. Here's a sneak peek from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmSiRJZEco
HAIL ERIS!

GrahameA

Re: New TV show - "Vikings"

#2 Post by GrahameA » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 am

Morning
discord wrote:... It's touted as an "historical drama", set during the early medieval period. It wasn't bad, they seem to be trying to be as authentic as possible, with a bit of explanation (history lesson) cleverly interwoven ...
Considering the pedigree of the production I would suggest that not expecting it to be Historically accurate would be a good move. "authentic as possible" may be a bit of over-statement. Authenticity and film do not seem to marry well. Irrespective it will probably be a good production that will enjoyable to watch. Given that "The Tudors" has done well, as far as sales etc go, my expectations are this will do the same - you will just have to wait a few years for it to turn up on "free-to-air" television.

On the other side it is filmed in Ireland so it will look good and it is historically a region that "Vikings" lived.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Buranurra

#3 Post by Buranurra » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 pm

I am looking forward to seeing it once it comes out on DVD, I don't have pay TV and I just can't stand commercials.

It would have been nice if they titled it Northmen/ Norsemen or something more accurate rather than using a bastardisation of a verb - viking which basically means rape, pillage and plunder.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

discord

#4 Post by discord » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:25 pm

*cough* piratebay *cough*
HAIL ERIS!