MANLY WINS

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Jeffro

MANLY WINS

#1 Post by Jeffro » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Manly is hated by everyone but if your a supporter you dont care
Most NSWelshman would have enjoyed seeing JT spitting the dummy too 8)
Manly 42
NQLD 8

ohhh yeahhh baby
Last edited by Jeffro on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longbow steve

Re: What a joy seeing Manly smash the Cowboys

#2 Post by longbow steve » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:59 am

I was wondering whether you were getting excited :D .

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:47 am

Speak for yourself, Jeffro I have been a cowboy supporter since they started and am used to being humiliated but its still hard to take especially with such a bunch of perpetual whingers like the 'silvertails'. They are still moaning about something that happened 3 years ago! Anyway they've got no hope of going any further as the Broncs, West Tigers or Storm will smash them
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Jeffro

#4 Post by Jeffro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:25 pm

bigbob wrote:Speak for yourself, Jeffro I have been a cowboy supporter since they started and am used to being humiliated but its still hard to take especially with such a bunch of perpetual whingers like the 'silvertails'. They are still moaning about something that happened 3 years ago! Anyway they've got no hope of going any further as the Broncs, West Tigers or Storm will smash them

2 down 1 to go

no hope eh?

As for being whingers...

I dunno if its cause im biased but I thought the Brett Stewart incident was wrong.
He comes across as a decent bloke and does not at all seem like he'd do something like he was accused of.
Faired income he'd have chicks hanging off him if he wanted it,why would he risk something like that right outside his house with his girlfriend inside.]
I knew straight away it was a crock.
As it happened he was proven innocent in court anyway and the NRL had no right to punish him guilty before being found guilty.
David Gallop should be sacked for that.
4 weeks...that was just wrong and I think they have a right to be ****** off about it.

Roadie

#5 Post by Roadie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:35 am

Ay Jeffro, GO the SEA EAGLES, is it 5 years since they last held the cup. Cheers Roadie.

PS Now all I want is for the Cats Geelong to Win tonight.

roscoe

#6 Post by roscoe » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:47 am

Manly has been hatted by everyone because they where a rich club and they appeared to have bought premierships and not earned them. However, the Broncos have been the Manly of recent years. I want hide the fact that i too hate Manly, but being a Balmain supporter i have a bad taste in my mouth with the very mention of the word Manly, I think this comes from the Seventies. But, congratulations on the win they played well and seem to be a class act. (I am choking saying this)....Roscoe

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:07 pm

This NRL grand final would have to be the greatest anti climax to a season I 've ever seen. I have no doubt there will be some great football played but really -- Manly is the team everybody loves to hate; even their supporters had to be bribed with bus rides just to get to the last game and the thought of the holy grail disappearing across the ditch is too tramautising to bear thinking about. I mean we are used to the kiwi's belting us each year in the Rah Rah game but just the thought of them [ sorry guys] 'stealing 'our' trophy makes me want to start watching cross country ballet. :surprised: :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Evening All.
roscoe wrote:... being a Balmain supporter .....
Being a long term follower of Balmain (they used to play at Birchgrove Oval once) i no longer have any interest in the game since it became a money making exercise and Balmain no longer effectively exist.

Grahame - who will not be watching any of it.

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:27 pm

YOU once followed Rugby League, Grahame?? I am deeply disappointed in you, mate! :sad: ... :wink: :razz:

Having said that, in the spirit of "Everyone hates 'em for no good reason"... I'm looking forward to seeing the 'Pies belt Geelong this weekend! :wink: :biggrin:

(Put those bricks down, you blokes!! :smile: )

stickshooter

#10 Post by stickshooter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Well boy's you might just have to come across the ditch to see the Holy Grail :biggrin: .
The Rugby World cup has taken second place over here to the Grand Final.
Can't wait GO THE WARRIORS
Nigel

Nephew

#11 Post by Nephew » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:08 pm

From what I can work out, Nigel, there is quite a few Aussie R.L. fans that would be pleased to see The Warriors win, too! :wink: :smile:

stickshooter

#12 Post by stickshooter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Strange but true Moreton

Jeffro

#13 Post by Jeffro » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:45 pm

bigbob wrote:Anyway they've got no hope of going any further as the Broncs, West Tigers or Storm will smash them

AHHH Bigbob

hungry mate ? looks like you got some words to eat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigbob

Re: MANLY WINS

#14 Post by bigbob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 am

Who said I had any credibility as a tipster? :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry:

looseplucker

#15 Post by looseplucker » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:32 pm

I went for the Warriors, but only because when the Warriors fans come to Canberra for the local derby it is always a great afternoon and we're all mates because of the Ruben Wiki connection. Mind you, my boy likes Manly and Steve Menzies is his hero.

Probably time to move on from the Silvertails thing anyway - although no-one can forget THAT series when Manly went on to win with Arko pulling the strings to get his mate the whistling job....7 tackle tries and dodgy calls....

As for Stewart, it was not just the alleged incident with the young girl. He was fifteen sheets to the wind, had been kicked out of a sponsors do because, in common with a lot of these "men" he cannot handle himself when out on the drink. I do not for one moment hold with the idea that NRL people are 'role models' just by dint of playing in First Grade. I would rather my boy look up to people of brains, culture, learning and actual achievement rather than an ability to shimmy-whoosh and kick a ball etc.

BUT if it is to be the case that they are role models, with the money, the prestige and the rest of it, they should bloody well behave like them. Stewart and his brother were a pair of tossers for behaving as they did at the Grand Final (if the Warriors had won, would they have said the same thing? Doubt it. Really calls into question the content of their character IMHO).

Anyhow, life chucks us all sorts of curve balls. And sometimes, gee whizz, life is not fair. Real men learn from it. Remember what Dad and Grandad used to say? "take it like a man".

Lot in that - and maybe some of these cashed up thickheads could use a bit of good old fashioned advice like that rather than having a good old sook at David Gallop. If Stewart was a man he would have looked Gallop in the eye, shaken his hand and said "no hard feelings" and walked away. And you know, he might still have been the story (which he wanted, the self indulgent so-and-so), but for all the right reasons, not the wrong.

Onwards to 2012. I see the Titans are offering Todd Carney a lifeline. They must be desperate.

bigbob

#16 Post by bigbob » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:06 pm

L/p have to agree with all you said.They are not the role model i would have in mind had I a son, but for some, particularly lower socio economic or indiginious communities they are a possible shining beacon toward some sort of future and as such, need to act in public in a favourable manner as befits a leading sportsperson, whose every move is being watched by those who seem to delight in lopping a few tall poppies. It is unfortunate that our society seems to idolise sportspeople and give scant regard toward those who shine in more cerebral persuits.But life would be even more mundane if we all thought the same.

Jeffro

#17 Post by Jeffro » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:46 pm

bigbob wrote:Who said I had any credibility as a tipster? :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry:

fair call Bob no worries

I think you blokes should maybe try to consider it from B Stewarts point of view.
I agree it was a bad time to say what is alledged to D Gallop on the stage like that but also remember that it is only alledged.No one but him Gallop and the telstra bloke really know.

He was on top of the world really when that incident with the girl happened and that just ruined it all for him.Then to be banned for 4 weeks.Look at Benji Marshall he just went through an assault case and did he get any time off for it? No

Bad enough having some stupid girl try and kiss him or whatever and a fraudster father try and ruin his life then to have D Gallop add to it with the banning.
Sorry LP and BB I do not agree.
Think about it, you would be absolutely filthy over it if it happened to you.
I have noticed that anyone who is not a manly supporter writes B STewart off.
I tell you what if he played for your team you'd be defending him.
Damm good player

Nephew

#18 Post by Nephew » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:49 pm

For my money, I wouldn't allow ANY football player to be in the same room as my daughter, and certainly not this bloke! Women generally don't cry wolf over this kind of thing in my experience. Just because he wasn't convicted doesn't mean he didn't do it, it just means the law favours those who can afford the most expensive lawyers! I don't follow football, and I only know of this bloke through the allegations, but I saw how he behaved last Sunday and to me he came across as a creep. He seems to have a real sense of entitlement...and that entitlement would include any girl he decides is his, I'd reckon. Has he ever even inquired into her wellbeing? Any man that deserves the title would! If he really is innocent, then she is disturbed and needs help, so why wasn't he concerned for her? I would be, and would do my level best to help her find peace! Like, not allowing anyone, fan or otherwise, to disparage her, and asking all to be a little understanding and just let it go. Maybe make a substantial donation to victims of sexual assualt. It's not like he can't afford it! He can't seem to do that. In fact, his triumphalism & arrogance puts me in mind of someone who knows they dodged a bullet that was deservedly theirs!
But, that would apply to anyone who is paid ridiculous amounts of money just for carrying a ball over a line. If they love it so much, why do they demand exorbitant pay to play it, as if it's such an arduous task that they hate and they need to be generously compensated for? No, it's just foolish to pay them so much. They only end up with a false, inflated sense of their importance that makes them believe they should have whatever they want,whenever they want... our daughters included!. Surely if they love it so much they would play for a can of drink, an orange and the prestige alone? Yeah, right! :roll:
Yet, scientists have to go begging, cap in hand, for funding for GENUINELY important research!! :x
This society has it's priorities all wrong, if you ask me. :confused:

bigbob

#19 Post by bigbob » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:24 am

Very well said Craig, although I never saw his actions after the game as I was so nauseated by the outcome I turned over to watch the World Macrame C'ships. There have been several players in recent years who seemed to exonerate themselves from very sticky situations that I may be so bold as to suggest that without the profile, resources and influence they seem to have these days may have resulted in a different outcome had it been you or I.

looseplucker

#20 Post by looseplucker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:36 pm

bigbob wrote:L/p have to agree with all you said.They are not the role model i would have in mind had I a son, but for some, particularly lower socio economic or indiginious communities they are a possible shining beacon toward some sort of future and as such, need to act in public in a favourable manner as befits a leading sportsperson, whose every move is being watched by those who seem to delight in lopping a few tall poppies. It is unfortunate that our society seems to idolise sportspeople and give scant regard toward those who shine in more cerebral persuits.But life would be even more mundane if we all thought the same.
Bob - we're agreeing with each other again!

looseplucker

#21 Post by looseplucker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Jeffro wrote:
bigbob wrote:Who said I had any credibility as a tipster? :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sorry LP and BB I do not agree.
Think about it, you would be absolutely filthy over it if it happened to you.
I have noticed that anyone who is not a manly supporter writes B STewart off.
I tell you what if he played for your team you'd be defending him.
Damm good player
Hardly. The Raiders have kicked out a bunch of players for drunken stupidity and I have backed them on it. Alan Tongue may not have been the superstar that Stewart is supposed to be. 10 times the man though.

Interesting you say I'd be filthy if it happened to me. Wellllll Jeffro that is not likely to happen because (a) I don't get appallingly trousered when I have a drink and (b) I know how to behave with women. Probably because I was better brought up than Mr Stewart who appears to be nothing more than cashed up White Trash.

longbowinfected

#22 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Stewart is not exactly cashed up. He is broke because of the legals.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? fair crack.....
If it is good enough for the Prime minister to back one ot her pollies until such time as he has had his day in court and in most reasonable circumstances elsewhere for others why not for Stewart?
I dislike some of his behaviour. I cannot say I never got legless as a young fella. I even drove home some nights and could have killed or maimed someone. I was never a saint.
The NRL owe Stewart and the Manly club and their supporters an unreserved apology but will not do so for fear of litigation or loss of image yet were happy to jump the gun on s**t canning Stewart.....not consistent. What sticks in my craw is that Melbourne got caught cheating. Their title was taken away and presumably the prize money but not awarded to Manly and the other club that was ripped off. The NRL and in particular their public mouthpiece has no guts or ethics. He has all the power in this situation and Stewart is entitled to get in his face, which he does regularly and face to face. Not a good look, not polite, not what I would do but well within his rights. The NRL is reaping what they have sown and it should not be allowed to continue but at the end of the day it is a democracy.

Yep another Manly supporter who does not care if others hate them. I played in their juniors and in rep teams. I was born in Balgowlah and lived on the North Shore for a lot of my life. I used to baby sit Bill Bradstreet's kids and Bob Fulton's kids. I have supported Manly for 50 years.

At least my mob cared enough to fight Superleague even though they were the Silvertails yet others chased the bucks. The other thing is that even when written off seven years ago a plucky little bloke caled Des pulled them up out of the doo doo and they have done us proud against the odds. The only other team to fight as hard as Manly did it tougher and that is Souths. Good on both of them.

Good on you Jeffro

Kev

bigbob

#23 Post by bigbob » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:26 pm

I posted in another thread about the following but still its relevant. each persons version of 'reality' is coloured, affected influenced by everyday events that occur exclusively to that individual, hence a wide disparity in concepts of 'reality'. As you mention having such a close affiliation with Manly does I am sure give you an entirely different bias regards any circumstance concerning Manly than I for one a hopefully dispassionate observer.But as a wise[?] man once said 'Viva la difference!' P.s L/P we will have to stop this new found ambience , people will start to talk. :surprised: :roll: :biggrin: :lol: :mrgreen:

Jeffro

#24 Post by Jeffro » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:56 pm

looseplucker wrote:

(a) I don't get appallingly trousered when I have a drink and (b) I know how to behave with women. Probably because I was better brought up than Mr Stewart who appears to be nothing more than cashed up White Trash.

Firstly what proof do you have that he was "appallingly trousered" as you so put it.

They went for team drinks so he's entitled to have a few and was catching a cab home

And secondly his girlfriend who is pretty classy stuck by him and there still together.
If he didnt know how to behave around women then that wouldnt be the case now would it :roll: :roll: faired income you got some tickets on yourself there buddy !keep on blowing that trumpet :biggrin:

Thanks Kev see you at wisemans