need binos

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

andy80

need binos

#1 Post by andy80 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:41 pm

gday all,

I need a good set of reasonably priced binoculars. Any suggestions and where I can get them would be appreciated.

cheers andy

clinton miller

Re: need binos

#2 Post by clinton miller » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:56 pm

eagle optics are well priced. they were the cheapest when i bought my last pair. steiner peregrine 8x42. around US$500 i think.
do you have a brand or model in mind? what size binos?
honestly, buy the best you can afford. don't consider binos a cost, rather an investment. if you like a pair and can't afford them save till you can, you won't regret buying quality optics.

expect a parcel in the mail this week mate.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

andy80

#3 Post by andy80 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:22 am

cheers mate, ill google em. see if I can get a price. i have no idea what brand or size to get mate.

I keep checking the mail box when I get home :lol:

what do you reckon of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-BU ... 3a6808aea5

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:09 am

clinton miller wrote:honestly, buy the best you can afford. don't consider binos a cost, rather an investment. if you like a pair and can't afford them save till you can, you won't regret buying quality optics.
+1!!!

It all depends on what you want them for; I wanted to carry mine with me while hunting and found the full size binos too big so I opted for 8 x 32 which are mid range size wise. At the time I had an opportunity to get a pair of Swarovski's direct from Austria (traded bows) which are very expensive out here but also excellent quality. I have had them a long time now and they are excellent.

Do a search on here as there has been a few threads on binoculars; I remember Mick Smith got quite a good pair at a reasonable price.

Jeff

Nephew

#5 Post by Nephew » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 am

Have you seen this?- http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11361 , seems like a bargain.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

andy80

#6 Post by andy80 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:06 pm

thanks all, are the numbers (10x50, 8x32) the external size of the binoculars as well as the magnification??

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Andy,

The following I found on the web should help explain it for you.

What do the numbers mean ?
Binoculars are often specified by a set of numbers such as 7×35 or 8×40, the first number indicates the strength of magnification (how many times closer the subject is to you, 5 times closer, 7 times closer, 10 times closer) and the second number is the size of the objective lens measured in millimeters going across the lens. The size of the objective lens will determine how much light the binocular can obtain for effective viewing. The higher the number, the larger the lens; in effect allowing more light to pass through thereby projecting a brighter image and viewing experience. However, binoculars with smaller lenses are more compact and portable.

Those numbers give you an idea of the binoculars ability to gather light in low light conditions. As a general rule, for good light gathering ability, when you divide the second number by the first your answer shouldn't be less then about 4.

Jeff

Xtfreak

#8 Post by Xtfreak » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Google "Optics Planet".
I have bought a few items from them in the past and they were very good to deal with.
I think I got the Leupolds that I have now from them...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

clinton miller

#9 Post by clinton miller » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:14 pm

i also found optics planet to be well priced. they just didn't have the pair i wanted.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

andy80

#10 Post by andy80 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:18 pm

What do the numbers mean ?
Binoculars are often specified by a set of numbers such as 7×35 or 8×40, the first number indicates the strength of magnification (how many times closer the subject is to you, 5 times closer, 7 times closer, 10 times closer) and the second number is the size of the objective lens measured in millimeters going across the lens. The size of the objective lens will determine how much light the binocular can obtain for effective viewing. The higher the number, the larger the lens; in effect allowing more light to pass through thereby projecting a brighter image and viewing experience. However, binoculars with smaller lenses are more compact and portable.

that explains heaps :lol: so 8 x 40 would be a pretty good all round hunting bino?? I want something I can keep around my neck with a harness/slide setup.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Yeah 8x40 should be good but I do like my 6x30's; you can pop around and have a look at them for size when you're going past if you want.

Jeff

clinton miller

#12 Post by clinton miller » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:37 pm

depends heaps on the hunting situation. jeffs 6x30's would be ideal on the cape in the swamps and creeks. a 7x30or40 would be good for that too.

andy80

#13 Post by andy80 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:42 pm

right, time to do some research and some sweet talking :lol:

any brands to go for or steer clear of that you know??

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:58 pm

It all depends on how deep your pockets are or should I say how good you are at sweet talking? :lol: Read Clintons advice in his first post again. :D

Jeff

clinton miller

#15 Post by clinton miller » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:48 am

i've got 2 pairs of steiners. 10x50 nighthunter and 8x42 peregrine. i'm impressed by steiner. i've looked through swarovskis and leicas and i can't tell the difference. infact i think the leicas are very heavy. they are heavier than other binos the same size. the steiners are less than half the price though. both of mine have a 30 year warranty! the warranty on my 1st pair runs out when i'm 50!

slvrslngr

#16 Post by slvrslngr » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:58 pm

The first thing you need to decide is how much money you want to spend. Binos are one thing that you want to spend the most you can afford. For the most part, you get what you pay for. The next thing to do is go to a shop and look through as many different models and brands you can find. Ask them if you can take them outside for a look, how often do you hunt inside a store under fluorescent lights? Size wise, I prefer a 7 or 8 power with 36-40mm objective lenses. 10x's bounce just too much for my taste, though the extra power is nice if the county is open. It's easy to make recommendations over the net but what looks sweet through my eyes may look entirely different through yours. Ergonomics (ease of use and how they feel in your hands) is another thing that varies between different people. The problem with cheap binos is that they typically have a slightly fuzzy image especially as you look towards the edges. If your view is fuzzy it strains your eyes and if your eyes are tired they start to hurt and you won't use the binos for their intended purpose, which defeats the point of having them. Not to mention fuzzy images will keep you from picking out detail, like ears or antlers, that give away the position of an animal. So, buy brand name glass, Vortex, Leupold, Burris, Nikon, Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, and a few others. Look for a lifetime, fully transferable, no questions asked warranty as well. A lot of guys like Bushnell, but I can't stand Bushnell, I've never looked through a pair and liked what I saw. A lot of guys spend huge $$ on their bow or rifle then go cheap on their binos, but if you think about it, how often do you use your bow or rifle on a hunt compared to how much you use your binos? You should be using your binos constantly. A good resource is the bird watching forums, those guys (and ladies) are more passionate about their glass than anyone, so they know what they're talking about.

clinton miller

#17 Post by clinton miller » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:38 pm

some good advice there

Jaydo

#18 Post by Jaydo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Mate, i got given a set of Barska 8x42's some years ago, best bino's ive used in my opinion, i rate them as high as my other mates leica's

not too pricey from my memory either, and you can check them out at national geographic and stores like that, they make pretty great rifle scopes too :wink:
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Dewi

#19 Post by Dewi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Hey, binos are for compounders, you guys should be using one of these Image

Dodger

#20 Post by Dodger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:56 am

:lol: