Are synthetic arrows,vanes and laminations traditional?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

kimall

Are synthetic arrows,vanes and laminations traditional?

#1 Post by kimall » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:21 pm

ADMIN NOTE: The following has been split from another thread started by Kimall.

Perry said:
If their is a clear advantage in synthetic arrows and Vanes, Why then are synthetic laminations in trad bows acceptable and why are Vanes regarded as not acceptable from a preservation of our archery heritage and its ancient skills in the manufacture of its equipment perspective.
Perry are you asking me cuase I am THE WORST person to ask those types of questions.I am a hunter first and only go to organised events to catchup with others likeminded.I just want everything to be as bomb proof as possible with the littlest trouble for what I do and that is hunting rain hail or shine.I think this may be the next step for my hunting setup.
Cheers KIM

perry

Re: Wet weather arrows..?

#2 Post by perry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Kim I was apologising for taking your thread off on a tangent - mostly directed to Dennis but anyone willing to chime in that will answer my Question as I've never got a satisfactory answer for it.

I'm all for Bombproof hunting gear too mate. I don't get out hunting often enough and I do not appreciate an equipment failure due to the elements either

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

kimall

#3 Post by kimall » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:17 pm

:wink:

Dennis La Varenne

#4 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:23 am

G'day again, Perry.
If their is a clear advantage in synthetic arrows and Vanes, Why then are synthetic laminations in trad bows acceptable and why are Vanes regarded as not acceptable from a preservation of our archery heritage and its ancient skills in the manufacture of its equipment perspective.
Here's the part of my response to Kimall that you overlooked -
There is a clear advantage in syntharrows in that they do not have to be treated with the same levels of care to obtain a similar result.
The next bit of your opening comment in regard to laminations and vanes (meaning plastic???) is of somewhat mysterious origins, and certainly not from me as you seem to attribute.

Firstly while we are on this tangent to the issue of wet weather proofing of arrows, the laminating of wood or other naturally occurring materials has been occurring for thousands of years in archery. The manufacture of vanes from plastic has not.

The preservation of our heritage is about what we have learned about the skills and the manufacture of its tools using naturally occurring materials. There is also the added aspect of preserving the manufacture of these materials by traditional means for those with the talent. But I am open to the issue of any proof existing of our forebears manufacturing plastic vanes whenever you can produce it.

However, if you prefer to use such materials in your shooting using modern manufactured materials, that is your business and I wish you well. Be happy with that, but don't kid yourself that it is anything but what it is - a modern facsimile - or try to freeload on the traditional archery waggon with it.

But, back on the weatherproofing of arrows issue again, I consider your suggestion quite a good one.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

perry

#5 Post by perry » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:42 am

I was not attributing anything Dennis - I asked of you and anyone else who cared to respond why synthetics used as vanes are not Trad and synthetic bow laminations are Trad - nothing more. They are linked as they are both of modern origin and a line has been drawn in the sand with no satisfactory explanation of why one is Trad and why another is not.

I did not overlook anything, your response raised questions to me which is a good thing. Folks in this thread indicated that they use Synthetic compounds to repel water from their feathers. Suitable water repelant feathers are not available on a commercial basis. This is accepted as a reasonable solution.

Wood and Animal products have been used for thousands of years in composite bows as you say but my Question was about Synthetics which have only been in use on a commercial level since the 1950's - Again why are synthetic laminations considered Trad. Vanes have been in use near as long. Why is one Trad and the other not , this is all I asked - they are both synthetics and I too am open to evidence of Fibreglass laminations being produced by our forebears.

I'm not attacking anyones choices or opinions I'm just asking Questions no one wants to here. Why don't they want to here them? I completely understand why the Traditional Skills in Archery need to be preserved and have taken the time to learn a great many of them. This knowledge has lead me to ask more Questions and continue to learn about Archery's past and present and ponder it's future.

As for not attacking peoples choices Dennis why then do you make reference to Freeloading on the Traditional Archery bandwagon - a comment I can only take as a poorly veiled dig at my and others choices. To be honest I can not remember the last time I shot any of the 5 arrows I have in my posession that are fletched with vanes. My wet weather timber and feather fletched arrows work just fine.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:43 am

Hi Perry
perry wrote:... why synthetics used as vanes are not Trad and synthetic bow laminations are Trad - nothing more. They are linked as they are both of modern origin and a line has been drawn in the sand with no satisfactory explanation of why one is Trad and why another is not.
The question a bit like Digital Cameras. There are people who believe that unless a photo is taken using film it is not a real photo. There are people who believe that there must be different competitions for photos taken with Digital Cameras and those taken Film Cameras. (Perhaps they should go and make their own Daguerreotypes) I don't understand why - and personally I don't care. Use what ever you like.

It is the same with Trad - modern arrows will offer an advantage over wood arrows but I am unsure just how much of an advantage it actually is. Personally I don't care and am happy to shoot with anyone - as long as they do not take for ever to get their shot off.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Chase N. Nocks

#7 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 am

Good post Kim, thanks mate it has got me thinking again about using vanes on my arrows although for me it is the opposite I consider myself an archer/shooter first and a hunter second.

I am going to have a play with the vanes again. Is there a particular vanes you have found better??? softer??? what qualities are you looking at. BTW I would have thought that arrow performance and accuracy would be equally important for both archer and hunter. Or are you speaking of these performance advantages within the specific environment of wet weather then find the feather advantageous in dry?

I absolutely love the shooting characteristics of carbons but hate the material they are made from so I have a bit of a dillema when it comes to purchasing and using them...I have mainly gone back to alluminium but have no issue with using vanes on wood arrows either.

Dennis said
My concern is the preservation of our archery heritage and its ancient skills in the manufacture of its equipment. I don't like to see it undermined as many latter-day 'traditionalists' seem to want to do by fiddling with traditional terminology and bow designs.
I am all for remembering traditions but not an idiotic cache blanch approach to defending all things traditional...whatever that means. The fact is it means different things to different people. As for teminology I'll have more to say about that in another topic but we don't need self appointed abitors of meaning whose only interest is to defend the status quo. Otherwise we may as well fight to reinstall the six letter alphabet and the cave painting instruction manual to archery as well.

Grunt
Trog
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Dennis La Varenne

#8 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:35 pm

G'day all once again.
As for not attacking peoples choices Dennis why then do you make reference to Freeloading on the Traditional Archery bandwagon - a comment I can only take as a poorly veiled dig at my and others choices.
Perry, mine is a general observation because there are many archers people who try to style themselves traditional archers but are trying to backwards import modern post-compound archery inventions into the traditional field and trying pass them off as traditional. They are even subverting existing terminology, for example, to mean something entirely different to its original documented application.One such example is that of the long deflex-reflex design bow which was originally called a semi-recurve when it was invented. The term was coined to differentiate it from the American longbow which was always straight ended even though the lengths were similar, and the existing full recurved bow. These days, people are even inverting the original documented deflex-reflex descriptor to reflex-deflex for no justifiable reason when in the traditional documented usage of the times, references to limb design started from the handle and went outwards toward the tips. It was systematic and generally accepted in archery.

That is where such people are freeloading on the traditional archery bandwagon and helping to undermine the traditional knowledge. If they want to start their own archery genre, do so by all means, but please don't try to pretend it is anything other than what it is . . . and what it is not.

The traditional field covers a very great number of non-natural materials which appeared right up until the advent of the compound bow and all that went with and after it, including modern urea formaldehyde glues and fibreglass for limb laminations, steel and later aluminium alloy arrows. Plastic vanes were not yet invented that I have ever seen in pre-compound catalogues, but I am quite happy to accept them into as traditional if you can provide the documentary evidence that they existed pre-compound.

As a background, the traditional archery movement began for the most part in the US following the advent of the compound bow in the mid-1960s, which so took over almost every aspect of archery that all of the traditional knowledge and skills which went beforehand were seriously in danger of being lost to archery altogether. The movement spread from the US to other parts of the world as you would know. Why I and others are so hidebound in our insistence on what is in and what is out is because we consider that the knowledge of the pre-compound age should be preserved, not only in vocabulary, but also in usage in the forms which existed in those days, because they have an intrinsic value to us which we value above current archery fashion.

To keep introducing post-compound archery equipment into the traditional fold is to do nothing less than destroy it from within. The compound people were never a threat to traditional archery. They were just not interested in it and so ignored it and got on with their business. The danger to traditional archery was from neglect. Now it is from those within our own ranks who for their own preferences want to keep changing the core values of the tradition until it gradually becomes unrecognisable. Either you preserve something or you don't.

The perfect example of this insidious undermining comes from Chase N. Nocks attitude in his own post above where he goes on -
I am all for remembering traditions but not an idiotic cache blanch approach to defending all things traditional...whatever that means. The fact is it means different things to different people. As for teminology I'll have more to say about that in another topic but we don't need self appointed abitors of meaning whose only interest is to defend the status quo. Otherwise we may as well fight to reinstall the six letter alphabet and the cave painting instruction manual to archery as well.
I intend to remain one of those self-appointed 'idiotic carte blanche' arbitors of the tradition against people who trot out his kind of thinking. That is why I became an traditional archer in the first place and became a member of this site. I am not just for remembering them; I am for their continued usage, practice and perpetuation in their original forms. The 'six letter alphabet' and 'cave painting' instruction of Chase N. Nock's illustration, where they occur at archaeological sites are much valued by the archaeological and art world and nobody today would think of introducing new letters into that alphabet and pretending that it was still the original, nor would they try to introduce the techniques of the impressionists onto the Lascaux cave walls and try to pretend that they were original to those times as Chase N. Nocks would clearly prefer. His insistence that traditional archery means different things to different people is the problem. That is saying absolutely nothing and describing nothing. Even he doesn't know what he is talking about because his own statement effectively disqualifies him having the right to have any say in the matter.

If it means different things to different people, what does it mean to anybody at all including him. I find it interesting that he has such a strong opinion on something which has no definition by his own admission and his later proposal to have something to say on the matter.

By extending his same example above, his illustration can be applied to all the ancient cultures of the world to justify the introduction of modern culture into them and still pretend that they are the original. They may still be a culture, but they are no longer the original traditional culture. So, we make a decision . . . do we preserve the original or do we not. I elected years ago to help preserve our original pre-compound archery culture and to defend against its undermining and eventual loss.

By the way, Ozbow already has a traditonal archery vocab listed which we put together after a very exhaustive search for as many pre-compound archery terms in common usage from that period. Do please read it when you get a chance. We are happy to accept additions and alterations which are included with documentary proof of their pre-compound meaning.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

Chase N. Nocks

#9 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:59 pm

Dennis La Varenne wrote:G'day all once again.
As for not attacking peoples choices Dennis why then do you make reference to Freeloading on the Traditional Archery bandwagon - a comment I can only take as a poorly veiled dig at my and others choices.
Perry, mine is a general observation because there are many archers people who try to style themselves traditional archers but are trying to backwards import modern post-compound archery inventions into the traditional field and trying pass them off as traditional. They are even subverting existing terminology, for example, to mean something entirely different to its original documented application.One such example is that of the long deflex-reflex design bow which was originally called a semi-recurve when it was invented. The term was coined to differentiate it from the American longbow which was always straight ended even though the lengths were similar, and the existing full recurved bow. These days, people are even inverting the original documented deflex-reflex descriptor to reflex-deflex for no justifiable reason when in the traditional documented usage of the times, references to limb design started from the handle and went outwards toward the tips. It was systematic and generally accepted in archery.

That is where such people are freeloading on the traditional archery bandwagon and helping to undermine the traditional knowledge. If they want to start their own archery genre, do so by all means, but please don't try to pretend it is anything other than what it is . . . and what it is not.

The traditional field covers a very great number of non-natural materials which appeared right up until the advent of the compound bow and all that went with and after it, including modern urea formaldehyde glues and fibreglass for limb laminations, steel and later aluminium alloy arrows. Plastic vanes were not yet invented that I have ever seen in pre-compound catalogues, but I am quite happy to accept them into as traditional if you can provide the documentary evidence that they existed pre-compound.

As a background, the traditional archery movement began for the most part in the US following the advent of the compound bow in the mid-1960s, which so took over almost every aspect of archery that all of the traditional knowledge and skills which went beforehand were seriously in danger of being lost to archery altogether. The movement spread from the US to other parts of the world as you would know. Why I and others are so hidebound in our insistence on what is in and what is out is because we consider that the knowledge of the pre-compound age should be preserved, not only in vocabulary, but also in usage in the forms which existed in those days, because they have an intrinsic value to us which we value above current archery fashion.

To keep introducing post-compound archery equipment into the traditional fold is to do nothing less than destroy it from within. The compound people were never a threat to traditional archery. They were just not interested in it and so ignored it and got on with their business. The danger to traditional archery was from neglect. Now it is from those within our own ranks who for their own preferences want to keep changing the core values of the tradition until it gradually becomes unrecognisable. Either you preserve something or you don't.

The perfect example of this insidious undermining comes from Chase N. Nocks attitude in his own post above where he goes on -
I intend to remain one of those self-appointed 'idiotic carte blanche' arbitors of the tradition against people who trot out his kind of thinking. That is why I became an traditional archer in the first place and became a member of this site. I am not just for remembering them; I am for their continued usage, practice and perpetuation in their original forms. The 'six letter alphabet' and 'cave painting' instruction of Chase N. Nock's illustration, where they occur at archaeological sites are much valued by the archaeological and art world and nobody today would think of introducing new letters into that alphabet and pretending that it was still the original, nor would they try to introduce the techniques of the impressionists onto the Lascaux cave walls and try to pretend that they were original to those times as Chase N. Nocks would clearly prefer. His insistence that traditional archery means different things to different people is the problem. That is saying absolutely nothing and describing nothing. Even he doesn't know what he is talking about because his own statement effectively disqualifies him having the right to have any say in the matter.

If it means different things to different people, what does it mean to anybody at all including him. I find it interesting that he has such a strong opinion on something which has no definition by his own admission and his later proposal to have something to say on the matter.

By extending his same example above, his illustration can be applied to all the ancient cultures of the world to justify the introduction of modern culture into them and still pretend that they are the original. They may still be a culture, but they are no longer the original traditional culture. So, we make a decision . . . do we preserve the original or do we not. I elected years ago to help preserve our original pre-compound archery culture and to defend against its undermining and eventual loss.

By the way, Ozbow already has a traditonal archery vocab listed which we put together after a very exhaustive search for as many pre-compound archery terms in common usage from that period. Do please read it when you get a chance. We are happy to accept additions and alterations which are included with documentary proof of their pre-compound meaning.
What a lot of nonsense.

You certainly are one of the self appointed Dennis. With a continued load of hogwash and misrepresentation. In the other topic you quickly scarpered into the "fortress of definition" yet never really emerged to offer up anything else concrete. Some of what you said was simply preposterous and you laughably had the sage self-congratulations to say my arguments didn't hold water. :roll: Good grief.

You are a dogmatist and mock yourself with the signature at the bottom of every post. You even entered this post in a bludgeon of insecurity with a vehemence which even surprised me.

I'm prepared to be wrong that's why I try to articulate in depth what I'm trying to explain. Called an honest dialogue. That's part of the occasional re-evaluation of values. Give it a try.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

looseplucker

#10 Post by looseplucker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Goodness me, the things that happen when the cricket is on.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Dennis La Varenne

#11 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Chase N. Nocks,

Try to stick to the point, please. Unfortunately, you are not a good advocate for your own position.
What a lot of nonsense.
is not a good rebuttal.
You certainly are one of the self appointed Dennis
I am just as much as you have appointed yourself to the opposition.
With a continued load of hogwash and misrepresentation.
For example . . .????
You are a dogmatist and mock yourself with the signature at the bottom of every post.
Show me where I am wrong and I will happily concede. Until then I will defend myself with every strength I can muster. You haven't yet put up a cogent case on your own behalf. That is all I am waiting for.
You even entered this post in a bludgeon of insecurity with a vehemence which even surprised me.
I don't know where the vehemence comes from. I enjoy a vigorous debate. There is nothing to get upset over. We are arguing ideas aren't we. That is all they are. Nobody gets sick or dies from their publication do they???? I do not bear any particular ill will toward you or Perry just because you disagree with me. That is your right and proper place. It is just that you keep trying to make a case which is full of holes and has no substance. You even undermine your own case so often without any help from me that I continue to be astounded.
I'm prepared to be wrong that's why I try to articulate in depth what I'm trying to explain.
Me too.
Called an honest dialogue. That's part of the occasional re-evaluation of values. Give it a try.
I always do when it is relevant. Where is the relevance of redefining traditional archery as I explained it above to undermine its original purpose when it first emerged.
Dennis La Varénne

Chase N. Nocks

#12 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:39 pm

Dennis La Varenne wrote:
What a lot of nonsense.
is not a good rebuttal.
It's appropriate for nonsense surely.
Dennis La Varenne wrote:
You certainly are one of the self appointed Dennis
I am just as much as you have appointed yourself to the opposition.
Opposition? There may be the crux of it really hey Dennis. To question is to be in opposition.
Dennis La Varenne wrote:
With a continued load of hogwash and misrepresentation.
For example . . .????
Here
The 'six letter alphabet' and 'cave painting' instruction of Chase N. Nock's illustration, where they occur at archaeological sites are much valued by the archaeological and art world and nobody today would think of introducing new letters into that alphabet and pretending that it was still the original, nor would they try to introduce the techniques of the impressionists onto the Lascaux cave walls and try to pretend that they were original to those times as Chase N. Nocks would clearly prefer.
where you are telling everyone what I clearly prefer. Very pedestrian.

Dennis La Varenne wrote:
You are a dogmatist and mock yourself with the signature at the bottom of every post.
Show me where I am wrong and I will happily concede. Until then I will defend myself with every strength I can muster. You haven't yet put up a cogent case on your own behalf. That is all I am waiting for.
Now that is the hogwash part. Don't you wish to be taken seriously?
Dennis La Varenne wrote:
You even entered this post in a bludgeon of insecurity with a vehemence which even surprised me.
I don't know where the vehemence comes from. I enjoy a vigorous debate. There is nothing to get upset over. We are arguing ideas aren't we. That is all they are. Nobody gets sick or dies from their publication do they???? I do not bear any particular ill will toward you or Perry just because you disagree with me. That is your right and proper place. It is just that you keep trying to make a case which is full of holes and has no substance. You even undermine your own case so often without any help from me that I continue to be astounded.
Oh I see your lack of targeted responses to specific issues and concepts raised were meant to be illuminating. How very esoteric. I feel the epiphany and am persuaded, thank you.
Dennis La Varenne wrote:
I'm prepared to be wrong that's why I try to articulate in depth what I'm trying to explain.
Me too.
So start please. Any time you are ready.
Dennis La Varenne wrote:
Called an honest dialogue. That's part of the occasional re-evaluation of values. Give it a try.
I always do when it is relevant. Where is the relevance of redefining traditional archery as I explained it above to undermine its original purpose when it first emerged.
I have read it and it is very very good in my flawed opinion and I applaud it and respect the efforts made. Just did not realize that it was a sacred text.

Dennis also said
His insistence that traditional archery means different things to different people is the problem. That is saying absolutely nothing and describing nothing. Even he doesn't know what he is talking about because his own statement effectively disqualifies him having the right to have any say in the matter.
So you think that there is a unamimous concensus about terms like traditional and instinctive amongst archers and trad archers...posters here don't seem to have a common concensus...and my experience says there are many varied views amongst the wider archery community. Some appreciate exercising the way they think about their favourite past-time others do not.

Cheers
Last edited by Chase N. Nocks on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Dennis La Varenne

#13 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Evening again Chase N. Nocks.

Anything to add to the definition of the nature of Traditional Archery? You still don't seem to have a handle at all on what you are arguing against that I can detect. You have not once even tried to put an alternative definition - merely resorted to a series of negative statements of questionable logical value, in a couple of cases - logical shockers.

In recent earlier posts, you made a series of very flawed analogies concerning which I showed how they fell over with closer examination. They were not well thought through and you are clearly still unable to grasp where you went wrong with them as in the following example -
The 'six letter alphabet' and 'cave painting' instruction of Chase N. Nock's illustration, where they occur at archaeological sites are much valued by the archaeological and art world and nobody today would think of introducing new letters into that alphabet and pretending that it was still the original, nor would they try to introduce the techniques of the impressionists onto the Lascaux cave walls and try to pretend that they were original to those times as Chase N. Nocks would clearly prefer.
This is an exact paraphrase of your reasoning and shows its shortcomings. It is hardly my telling everyone what you prefer. It was just a bad analogy on your part, that's all. And your self congratulations do not overcome that flaw. They are not good arguments just because you make them.

Traditional archery is not a 'sacred text' and never has been. It is a set of traditions comprising a culture worth preserving for its own sake. Anyone is entitled to question whether this or that aspect is traditional to that culture or even if there are valid origins of any aspect of that culture to be recognised as part of it. Depending upon what archers have been taught and researched for themselves, they may have different opinions on what constitutes that culture, but only to the extend that they can disprove it with evidence or add to it with evidence. A body of knowledge is a body of knowledge. In this instance, it relates specifically to all the forms of archery and paraphernalia which existed and were practised prior to a specific period.

You have still not been able to disprove that some/all/part of it did/did not exist or that any aspect of that knowledge is wrong from that period. You haven't even tried so far. I am still waiting for you to put something up. Rather than hide behind some nebulous concept of vagaries among its practitioners, why not try putting YOUR take on the subject on the table for all of us to discuss. If that body of knowledge is in existence, that is all there is to it. it does not rely on our acceptance for its existence. It is simply there. If your understanding of it is different to mine, by all means put it up as I asked earlier if you are able.

Do you deny that there is a body of knowledge in existence which is known by the term Traditional Archery??? If you do, then what is the point of your argument here? If you do not, then why are you arguing about what Traditional Archery means since it can have no value to you? You appear to be trying to have it both ways???

Your comment that there is among self-styled traditional archers a considerable lack of consensus on what comprises the body of Traditional Archery knowledge is meaningless. It doesn't make Traditional Archery knowledge disappear or in any way devalue itself. Again, you let yourself down by using an analogy with a similar fatal flaw to that you made abve, that being, that on the same basis a claim can be made that the species of animal called dog does not exist because there are many which look different and don't get along together. It is exactly the same kind of analogy you make above. You try to make a case that there isn't a valid comprehensive and cogent body of knowledge commonly known as Traditional Archery because there are people within its practice who disagree on aspects of it.

You keep making these analogies - not me - and you don't think them through. You just react. So could I suggest you follow your own advice to
start please. Any time you are ready.
By the way, have you had a look at the Traditional Archery Glossary yet? It would be a good place for you to start by explaining how much/some/all of it is wrong by illustrating all the non-consensus views of which you are surely in touch and how they controvert those definitions.
Dennis La Varénne

ed

#14 Post by ed » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 am

Geez guys settle - like being a kindergarten teacher again.

Dennis I am sorry to say you are at times just too verbose and vehement. Your opinion is yours fine, but in your own verbose and dogmatic way you shout down other opinion and have nearly chased me away from this site due to it. Chase may be hard on you but that hat fits I am sorry. You are not alone in this on this site and others obviously and I think it is just a matter of communication style and a little tolerance.

To the question - you would like a definition of "trad" that suits you - so would we all, but it isn't going to happen as we all have different ideas of what trad is, and what an acceptable compromise for ourselves is.

For me is is all a shade of gray from modern to primitive from wheels to more and more traditional, and then to styles of that too. What Kimal is doing is just that, a shade less trad than some like, and a shade more trad than others like, suits him though and more power to him for enjoying his archery for it.

It is a bit like height, we all have an idea of what it is and I would love to call you all short hairy hobbits (being 6'5) but then I go and meet people much taller than me - dammit am I short?

Chase N. Nocks

#15 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:49 am

ed wrote:Geez guys settle - like being a kindergarten teacher again.

Dennis I am sorry to say you are at times just too verbose and vehement. Your opinion is yours fine, but in your own verbose and dogmatic way you shout down other opinion and have nearly chased me away from this site due to it. Chase may be hard on you but that hat fits I am sorry. You are not alone in this on this site and others obviously and I think it is just a matter of communication style and a little tolerance.

To the question - you would like a definition of "trad" that suits you - so would we all, but it isn't going to happen as we all have different ideas of what trad is, and what an acceptable compromise for ourselves is.

For me is is all a shade of gray from modern to primitive from wheels to more and more traditional, and then to styles of that too. What Kimal is doing is just that, a shade less trad than some like, and a shade more trad than others like, suits him though and more power to him for enjoying his archery for it.

It is a bit like height, we all have an idea of what it is and I would love to call you all short hairy hobbits (being 6'5) but then I go and meet people much taller than me - dammit am I short?
Ed, stocks of Red Cordial are depleted. Behaviour returning to normal. :wink: :lol:
Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Dennis La Varenne

#16 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Ed and Troy (thank you for providing your name)

I am not interested in this your opinion vs my opinion copout. Either you have an opinion or you don't. If you do, state what that opinion is in detail and let's debate it. I don't know where the vehemence comes from. I certainly don't feel any such emotion when posting. I simply look at the responses and reply to them in as analytic a way as I am able. As for verbosity, I use only my everyday vocabulary, and dictionaries abound. As for shouting, that mystifies me a bit. Occasionally I use caps/bold for emphasis of a particular point. That is all. There is nothing more to it than that. I have always admired the written word since childhood and consider that it should stand on its own merit without the use of emoticons and such.

Troy still hasn't put up a cogent case on his own behalf. He hasn't once stated what his view of the issue is in any detail contrary to what I have done. Dogmatism derives from the adjective 'dogged' meaning to stick tenaciously to a matter. It doesn't mean fixed in one's beliefs unreasonably. I do follow my own signature. First, provide me with proof that what I am saying is mistaken rather than just use the standard copout. If the Traditional Archery is not about the preservation of archery from the pre-compound age, then what is it about. Please give examples, especially where your opinion varies from that.

The Traditional Archery movement has a finite beginning with declared aims which are very broad and inclusive of a vast array of archery styles and equipment. Troy et al, have been saying that this is somehow not true and have been steadfastly (dogmatically) reluctant to state just what it is that they disagree with in that summary of the movement. They continue to say that I am writing rubbish but refuse to explain what that 'rubbish' is and what the alternative is. He has repeatedly used fatally flawed illustrations which, taken to their end analysis, actually undermine his argument.

I maintain my argument that if Traditional Archery is as nebulous as he maintains, then it doesn't exist as a movement from the simple precept that it has no first principles.

To take that further, logically then, if it has no first principles and cannot exist as a movement, therefore he cannot logically argue that it exists in any form that he can defend. If his version does have first principles, then what are those first principles and how do they vary from those I have espoused here. He has not done so thus far.

I maintain that Traditional Archery is a valid movement based on first principles which I have repeatedly explained and exampled. I can then use those examples as a list to show whether some aspect of modern archery accords with those first principles or not, and whether or not therefore, it lies within the aegis of the movement. Troy simply has not done anything like that and has refused or is unable to do so. Thererfore, he has no case, and his arguments are invalid.

There is no need to get angry in these debates as you seem to be suggesting. I don't get angry with Troy or Kimall or Perry. To do so is just plain silly and of no use in advancing the debate. I am arguing purely on the logic of the argument. It amazes me that others cannot see that simple fact. Where I retaliate to a slight, it is not because I am not offended. I do it to show nothing more than that two can play that pointless game and nothing is gained.

The biggest problem is that many people on this site simply do not seriously, carefully and logically think through what they do believe and understand by the terms they use. Troy is one of these people. He is obviously passionate on the issue, but seems unable to explain himself at all well. I wish it were otherwise. I hope that I am pushing him to re-examine what he is about in a more logical fashion. If he can disprove me with good examples which can be verified, that is good. I will always acknowledge that. But, so far he hasn't been able to to the extent that I cannot show repeatedly where his arguments fall down.

I have a detailed understanding of exactly what I mean when I refer to the Traditional Archery Movement and traditional archery. I can compare and contrast the views of others to that understanding to see if I am technically wrong on any aspect or whether my opponent is wrong. On the other hand, my ideological opponents on this issue are signally reticent or reluctant to do the same on their own behalf. They inevitably fall back on the 'nebular hypothesis' referred to above. Again, I repeat, that if you do not have any first principles you can explain, then you have none at all and your own position evaporates logically and you are left with nothing more than an emotional backwash.
Dennis La Varénne

ed

#17 Post by ed » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Dennis you are too argumentative to be bothered with.

looseplucker

#18 Post by looseplucker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 pm

I am actually enjoying this immensely. The state of discourse in this country via the usual media is pretty PW for mine. 60 second polyester sound bites and a default position to conflation on the slightest pretext. Politics is all about 'gotcha' rather than robust debate. This debate has been robust and quite entertaining. Informative too.

This is a "forum" - old latin word - 3 meanings from the dictionary: 1. the marketplace or public square of an ancient Roman city, the centre of judicial or other business and a place of assembly for the people; 2.a court or tribunal; 3. (and I love this one) an assembly for the discussion of questions of public interest.

The defence rests.

Play on.

Gringa Bows

#19 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:31 pm

i dont understand what any of this has to do with Kim's wet weather arrows,lets all just go down to the park with nuckle dusters and baseball bats sort it oiut and get back to Kims thread :mrgreen:

Gringa Bows

#20 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Kim,ive only ever been caught in the rain once while hunting,and still got a little pig with soaked feathers ,but it would be good to have one or two arrows in the quiver like the ones your talking about,if theres a chance of being caught in wet weather,except my shaft would be wood :D

looseplucker

#21 Post by looseplucker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Knuckle dusters and baseball bats? Come on ! Be British ! Marquis of Queensberry and no going the squirrel.

Gringa Bows

#22 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:46 pm

:lol: :lol: i thgink the squirrel should cop it too. :lol:

Gene-o

#23 Post by Gene-o » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:33 pm

To many big words, to many egos for me. Im with you Rod, bugger the bat :shock: Im bringing my wife :lol:

Gringa Bows

#24 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Now come on Gene-o no need to get that violent,i saw what she did to arras just pulling them outta the target :cry:

Dennis La Varenne

#25 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Gentlemen,

I have asked Jeff to separate the debate. It has gotten completely off topic some time ago, a fact of which I am well aware, but that is how these things go. I don't know about the ego thing Gene-o. I can't see that from either side. It is about severely different opinions on a topic which are being vigorously debated so far as I can see it. The 'big' words aren't really. They are just less commonly encountered by most people in everyday life perhaps, but that is solved easily with a modest dictionary and an interest in one's mother language.

And Ed, do you honestly expect me not to reply to your post and just throw my hands up simply because you and others have a different opinion. Simply putting an opinion means nothing if it cannot be substantiated.

Regards all,
Dennis La Varénne

perry

#26 Post by perry » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:14 pm

You asked Dennis and I found this interesting piece of information - 1948 Max Hamilton of Plastifletch first began making Vanes. The 5 years immediately following WW2 where a very fruitfull period for the development and adoption of synthetics in Archery equipment

http://arizonaarchery.com/cavalier_archery.php

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#27 Post by GrahameA » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 am

Morning All

My view.
Dennis La Varenne wrote:It is about severely different opinions ... Simply putting an opinion means nothing if it cannot be substantiated.
Dennis, I hold an opinion that the above is wrong, it is your opinion - it is not necessarily fact.

An opinion is ones view on something - it does not need to be substantiated. However, if you wish to convince some else as to why your opinion is correct (or better than theirs) then you need to provide evidence to substantiate your viewpoint/validate your opinion.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Dennis La Varenne

#28 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:53 am

Grahame,
I take your point. You are quite correct. I should have said that stating an opinion as fact without substantiating it means nothing.

Perry,
Excellent work. I did not have any idea about this at all. None of my reference works mention developments on plastic vanes this early. That puts it at just previous to the use of fibreglass laminate for backing and facing in 1949. Remarkable. That should make things interesting in trad archery circles.

Just by the bye, not many people know that what we now call release aids of quite sophisticated engineering were being used by target archers in the US in the 1870s. Robert Elmer describes them with photographs in his book 'Target Archery'.
Dennis La Varénne

GrahameA

#29 Post by GrahameA » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:37 am

Morning Again

Another dissenting opinion.
Dennis La Varenne wrote: ...The 'big' words aren't really. They are just less commonly encountered by most people in everyday life ....
I hold a view (read opinion) that if you wish to convey a message you need to convey that message in the language of the target audience - it is no good speaking in French to a group of people who only speak English. Thus if people struggle to comprehend what is written or they find it boring they will not be convinced by your argument.

Then again, it is possible, that they were not the target audience.

addenda - I also hold the view that taking everything to the lowest common denominator is not my preferred option.
Grahame.

perry

#30 Post by perry » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:25 am

This is what I find so perplexing in Traditional Archery. There are many examples of Synthetic technology being used in the early to mid 20th century that are completely ignored or outright dismissed as not Trad. I do not own or have access to many of the old Archery books [ YET ] and am not surprised by your account of an early mechanical release. I had heard talk of but not been given any direct examples of early mechanical releases.

Years ago I saw a photo of an American Indian Bow that then was several hundred years old that had a stick bound just above the grip and protruded on the side where the arrow passed, concenses of opinion was that it was a primitive sight as in the vicinity where this bow was recovered there where numerous examples of old rock blinds near game trails

Traditional Archery can not be confined to the narrow focus of today, there is too many innovations to pick and choose what is Trad and what is not. People need to broaden their understanding.

The problem is that people want to protect there little patch of Traditional Archery and see Synthetics as threatening their patch. They are in my view fostering an exclusive club at the expence of historical facts. It perplexes me people can not hold a broad inclusive attitude to their Archery.

People often harp about the Traditional Spirit and how synthetics just don't capture it's essence as they stand their with the carbon fibre, laminated phenolic and Diamondwood bows. Real bows are made of wood the proudly proclaim. They hold the likes of Fred Bear an example of the Traditional Spirit, yet convieniently ignore he played a hand in the development and early use of Synthetic materials, some of which they accept and others they reject. People like Easton and Hoyt are dismissed outright in the next breath. They forget that Howard Hill used synthetic arrows on his infamous Elephant hunts. Like I say it perplexes me.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin