Is a Holmegaard a Holmegaard

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

roscoe

Is a Holmegaard a Holmegaard

#1 Post by roscoe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:44 am

I googled up Holmegaard bow and i found a website that shows one of the real bows found from that area.But, that bow looks nothing like the bow design we no as a holmegaard? Further investigation seems that the design is a Mollegabet bow. Has anyone else noticed this or am i missing something here? ....Roscoe

longbow steve

Re: Is a Holmegaard a Holmegaard

#2 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 am

Yes the Holmgard that we know is a Molegabet, there was a thread recently on the subject. I remember being confused reading the Bowyers Bibles regarding this contradiction :? .
Steve

roscoe

#3 Post by roscoe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks steve, I will have to search for this old thread. Does that thread explain why the bow design was wrongly named? Well one good thing is i wasnt the only one that seemed to be confused.. Roscoe

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:23 am

I am pretty sure there is a link within that thread to a Paleo Planet thread explaining the issue. Steve

roscoe

#5 Post by roscoe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 am

Steve, I found that thread in paleo planet thanks. I even noticed that Dennis La Varenne spoke of it has a holmegaard bow in his article on tillering? (which was a good read). Well i wont be using the holmegaard name for that design anymore unless someone convinces me other wise... Roscoe

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 am

I think everyone will move away from the Holmegard name eventually, it is trending that way on Overseas sites. Steve