legends of the longbow book question?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

roscoe

legends of the longbow book question?

#1 Post by roscoe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:40 am

I have a copy of Howard Hills Wild Adventure in "The Ledgends of the longbow series" by Glenn st Charles. My question is, if some could answer it is. The first page of the book is personally signed by Jerry Hill, I think hes Howards nephew? Did all of those books in wild adventure come out signed by Jerry Hill or was my one a one off so to speak. If anyone has a copy of the same book, could you let me know?....Roscoe

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: legends of the longbow book question?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:06 am

Roscoe,

That series of 29 books if I remember correctly (I had the full set but have since sold it) were all numbered and they were signed by Glenn St Charles. Some of the sets that were not completely sold obviosly were broken up and sold individually. Your book sounds like it was one of these latter books and has been signed by Jerry Hill. It would still be a nice addition to your Bowhunting library.

Jeff

roscoe

#3 Post by roscoe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks Jeff
It also came with a leather book mark, shaped like a broadhead with jerry hills signature. Was this book you think sold originally seperate from the full collections or broken up from a full collection? Anyway,it sounds like it isnt a common one then?... roscoe

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am

The "The Ledgends of the longbow series" were originally only to be sold as sets. As it took more then a couple of years to get them all it seems a lot of people didn't get the complete sets and all those left over books seem to have been sold off seperately. Jerry Hill may have bought a number of those books from incomplete sets and resold them after signing them etc. Someone may have gotten Jerry Hill to sign that book and then decided to sell it. I can't see that the book/s signed by Jerry Hill were a special run for him as that would defeat the purpose of the original full series. Regardless, you have a fine book signed by Jerry hill, Howard Hill's nephew - enjoy! :D

Jeff

roscoe

#5 Post by roscoe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:50 am

Thanks Jeff
I was a little confused about your first answer but that clears it up. I enjoyed reading the book. My favorite books however, that i have read is saxton popes hunting with the bow and arrow and the other one in africa. I enjoy his style of writing and they were very interesting stories. I have read both books twice now. What is your favourite book jeff?... roscoe

roscoe

#6 Post by roscoe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 am

Happy birthday jeff. Its amazing how those candles add up on the cake hey jeff.... roscoe

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Sorry for the confusion mate, I see I left the word 'not' out in the first reply when saying the set were not completed. :oops:

I also like 'Hunting with the Bow and Arrow' by Saxton Pope but my all time favourite Bowhunting book without doubt is 'Sagittarius' by Bob Swinehart. I have a couple of original copies of it in my little library. Bob Swinehart was right up there with Young, Pope, Hill, Bear and Pearson etc IMO and it is a shame he doesn't get the same recognition as the others.

Thanks for the birthday wishes to.

Jeff

roscoe

#8 Post by roscoe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:34 pm

I have bob swineharts book (not original)and it is a good book jeff. I agree with you that he doesnt get the credit for the things he did. Have you read the witchery of archery by marice thomson? I havent read the book my self, i have ordered a copy, but, its on b/order. I have read all the books i have and iam keen to get hold of a new book to read. got any suggestions?

Roscoe

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:48 pm

I have a couple of copies of the 'Witchery of Archery' (a modern reprint and also a an 1879 edition) but never really enjoyed it. You probably have it but 'Kev Whiting - The Man and the Legend' is a good read and it is an Aussie book about a great Aussie Bowhunter.

Jeff

roscoe

#10 Post by roscoe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:26 pm

no jeff i dont have that book, where would i get a copy of that book? sounds good... roscoe

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:50 pm

I'm not exactly sure now but Steve and Ruth Whiting was selling them when they had their shop but I don't have a contact for them now. If I find out I will let you know.

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#12 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 am

What a great pity that Sagitarius is no longer or at least not currently in print. I had the opportunity to buy a copy many years ago but being a Uni student could afford it...looking at the going rate I still cannot afford it. :cry:
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:52 am

Yes they are expensive now days as they are really collectables. A mate and I bought ours back in the mid 1980's and my mate has since stopped shooting and I inherited his copy as well. :D

I also have Bob Swineharts other book titled 'In Africa' which is really a pictorial of his time spent in Africa, I like it a lot also.

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#14 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Fingers crossed that they may reappear in the near future especially with the revival of Trad Archery etc. I remember Saxon Pope's "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" was out of print for many years...now they are available through every archery web sight.

I think as archers we can be a funny old lot..maybe it will just take enough people to generate a bit of interest or maybe the hunted species generate a negative view for hunting, I don't know. While I personally would not hunt some of these creatures given the opportunity now..this is from a bygone era and should be seen in that light.

I had no call from Gold Lotto this morning so Dennis's highly desirable Longbow set is still out of the question.

Anyway Jeff, I is jealous. Good on ya.

Cheers Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm

It would be good to see 'Sagittarius' reprinted, however other then in the Legends series I have never heard of it ever being reprinted.

Jeff

roscoe

#16 Post by roscoe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Jeff
I have Kev Whitings book, i got it from steve & ruth. I didnt even know i had it. I packed it up safe when moving to cooktown. I cant believe i had that book and never read it, well iam into it now. I could'nt possibly pry that modern copy of "The witchery of archery" from you, as you already have the original? Just a thought jeff, It would be good if we could form our own traditional archery book library?

Roscoe

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:22 pm

It's good you have the Kev Whiting book. You will see some familiar faces in it - Vic for example. :D

Sorry but I will hang onto that Witchery of Archery book mate.

I had a look in my book cupboard this afternoon and these are a couple of books you may find of interest.

‘THE TRADITIONAL WAY – The Mystique and Heritage of Archery’ by Fred Anderson and the second is ‘BLOODTIES – Nature, Culture, and the Hunt’ by Ted Kerasote. Bloodties is not a Bowhunting book perse but it sure makes one think about why they hunt.

Anyway, look them up and see what you think.

Jeff