Telly

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

hellier

Telly

#1 Post by hellier » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:50 am

8) Gunna be great telly this week...Battlefield detectives ay !
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

Mububban

#2 Post by Mububban » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:58 am

I saw the ad last night, it mentioned something about the Saxons being lured off the hill so I'm guessing it's Hastings?

jindydiver

#3 Post by jindydiver » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:06 pm

Will it be like the show on Agincourt when they tried to revise history. Remember how they played down the role of archers and made out the frogs only lost because of the mud and the terrain, and made out that it wasn’t really a win for the poms, the frogs just lost.
Politically correct revisionist history maybe?

Our Battlefield Detectives conclude that Harold and William were well-matched opponents - William didn't win the battle of Hastings because he was a better general. So why did he?
Looks a lot like the same deal
I think I will tape it
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

hellier

#4 Post by hellier » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:25 am

I took part in a re -enactment of it in 1996....eee lad those were the days....nostalgia aint what it used to be...... :lol:
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

Mububban

#5 Post by Mububban » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:42 am

GrahameA wrote:Harold lost because the Saxon shieldwall chased the Normans down the hill.
From my slender knowledge of Hastings, that's what happened. The fight was an all day stalemate with neither side having the battle tip in their favour, until the Normans feigned a retreat, the Saxons broke ranks and ran down the hill to pursue (fools!) and the Normans turned around and started chopping. Then ol' Harold cops one in the eye, his men are leaderless and getting slaughtered, and the Normans win the day.

I'll still watch it though :-)

p.s. that Agincourt one was a bit dubious too. Using a long slender 50mm+ chainmail piercing bodkin rather than a short stocky strong plate armour piercing bodkin, in their "scientific" test of plate penetration? Bah humbug.

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:59 am

If you want to see how effective the Longbow was against Armour read the latest copy of "The Glade". Extensive testing.

What is even more interesting is the assertion that you do not need to penetrate the armour to kill. Blunt trauma is just as effective!
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

waynerob

#7 Post by waynerob » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:29 pm

Okay, I'll bite. Who or what is "The Glade".

<rant on> :x

What bugs me is the way these experts always try to pierce armour with the longest bodkin they can get their hands on, then get all surprised when it turns in to a pigtail. Hardy's the lastest in a long line who Should Know Better (TM). Battlefield Detectives did it in the Agincourt ep. The analysis of the type 16 boradheads was published by Leeds ayears ago.

<rant off> :)

Wayne

Poppy

#8 Post by Poppy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:26 pm

Wayne the Glade is a British archery magazine.
Its available in some archery stores in OZ
Cheers
Paul

archangel

lost worlds

#9 Post by archangel » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:30 pm

Looking forward to seeing Battlefield Detectives The Battle of Hastings, as it has not been shown over here in WA. Last week after watching the brilliant show on SBS on Empire of the Mongols , I ordered the DVD from Dymocks $29.95. The first episode had them setting up their composite bows and shooting targets from horseback - must be seen to be believed.
Against the backdrop of the breathtaking landscapes of Mongolia, these programs reconstruct life at the court of Genghis Khan and illustrate the Mongolian style of warfare. In 1253 the Pope sent a Franciscan monk to the Mongolian empire, and his report - The Lore of the Mongols - portrays a fascinating, exotic world. A world that still respects ancient traditions today, the Mongols are as accomplished as ever with bow and arrow, the breathtaking riding skills of their ancestors not forgotten but a part of their life; a nomadic people that has kept its knowledge and skills alive and maintained its originality.
Attachments
showcover.jpg
showcover.jpg (4.01 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

MaylandL

#10 Post by MaylandL » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:01 pm

archangel wrote:...Last week after watching the brilliant show on SBS on Empire of the Mongols , I ordered the DVD from Dymocks $29.95. The first episode had them setting up their composite bows and shooting targets from horseback - must be seen to be believed...
G'day Archangel
Saw that too. It was very interesting and had me drooling over the bows. It was amazing watching them shooting the 70#+ bows off the horses at full gallop.

waynerob

#11 Post by waynerob » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:08 am

Poppy wrote:Wayne the Glade is a British archery magazine.
Its available in some archery stores in OZ
Thanks Paul, I'll have to see if I can get a copy.
Cheers,
Wayne

Mububban

#12 Post by Mububban » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:13 am

GrahameA wrote:What is even more interesting is the assertion that you do not need to penetrate the armour to kill. Blunt trauma is just as effective!
Spot on. Put a man in a steel can and bash the can hard enough, he'll still die! Hence the popularity of war hammers and maces etc.

Any chance someone could scan the Glade article? Pretty please with a bodkin on top?

Poppy

#13 Post by Poppy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 pm

Would you believe it. Turned the TV on to watch it, and no signal on ABC.
Bugger. :cry:
Did anyone else miss out?
Paul

Mububban

#14 Post by Mububban » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:53 am

Agreed, the "cutting edge technology" that they utilised pretty much just rehashed everything I already knew. And I'm no real history buff, I only know the basics and they didn't enlighten me of anything really!

The most impressive thing for me was the lady hand embroidering her own reproduction of the Bayeux Tapestry!!!