feral dogs

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

humphrey

feral dogs

#1 Post by humphrey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:17 pm

a brief change on the feral cat topic, i was wondering if anyone knew if anyone has ever been badly attacked or even killed by feral dogs? i was reading in a shooting mag from last year about a guy whos son was riding his horse on their property and had 2 feral dogs come running out of the bushes and were jumping up and trying to bite him while he eventually out rode them.
they then called one of their freinds out to the property to shoot them. it said he just howled and they came running. when they were a bit closer he shot one of them, and then had the other come running full pace and lunge at him. he said he managed to shoot it at the last minute mid air about 6 inches from the end of the gun barrell.
ive heard them howling out near marysville while hunting in the state forest only about 200 mtrs away and will admit i pooed myself and made a very fast walk back to the car.

piggy

#2 Post by piggy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:26 pm

Hey Hump,
On a 4 x 4 camping trip into the snow one weekend i had a young dog run across the road infront of my car and my Jack russell jumped out the window and bolted after it. My dog bailed it up in a small hole in the ground, so i dug a hole in the top of this small hole / tunnell the dog was in with a stick put my hand in and dragged it out by the scruff of the neck and took it back to the car to get my knife.
The wife wouldn't let me put the wild dog down so i put it in a box in the 4x4 and taped it shut and took it to Heasville Sanctuary.
After they did some blood tests on the dog it was found to be a pure dingo extremely rare for VIC and keep it for breeding.
No one use to believe me when i told them this story so i use to carry the receipt Heasville Sanctuary gave me for handing in the dingo in my wallet and i would pull it out and show them.
Shut them up real quick :D

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:56 pm

Humphrey

I've haven't had any experiences personally, but I read of an instance where a rifle hunter was attacked by four feral dogs almost simultaneously a few years ago. He shot them all with his bolt action 30-06, mainly as they sailed through the air towards him.

Closer to home, a friend was riding her horse on her property when she heard low growling noises coming from near one of the dams. She looked over to see two feral dogs growling at her in a menacing fashion. She rode back to the house and rang her neighbour (her husband was at work), he came over with a high powered rifle and shot one of the dogs. The other one ran off. The dogs were "protecting" and grey kangaroo carcass they had just killed. The dogs weren't lost domestic pets, by the look of it they were true feral dogs. The property backs onto the Otway State Forest.

I believe that feral dogs are certainly a threat to humans. I also believe that it's just a matter of time before somebody is taken. This belief is shared by many people living in places where they are prevalent. If I was bowhunting alone in an area known to be heavily populated with feral dogs, I'd be pretty toey too. It might even be a good reason to carry a small tomahawk.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

humphrey

#4 Post by humphrey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:12 pm

yeah mick i think i may get a large knife for my belt thats easy to grab. sounds stupid but you never know what could happen. better to have something to try and fend them off if im ever in that situation.

hey piggy thats awesome mate :D
i would never have thought your little dog would have balls that big to go after a dingo, but good on her i say.
was it trying to bite you when you had it by the scruff?

stace

#5 Post by stace » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:13 pm

Humphrey
I haven't heard of anyone being attacked ,however in numbers they get brave and will not back down readily
Try howling them in to your bow, if you are concerned get up a tree and call them in
To howl simply mimick their call when you hear them howl(wet nights and drizzly morning after ,are the best )
I grew up in a dingo /dog area and howled and shot many growing up ,only once was I concerned when hunting alone ,on dark a large pack very close ,gave me the breeze up when they started howling and I was a fair way from home
cheers
stace

jindydiver

#6 Post by jindydiver » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:35 pm

Two summers ago a fisherman was fly fishing up near the flying fox above Providence flats at Eucumbene. He sat down to change his fly and a large dog grabbed him around the back of the neck. Another fisherman heard the commotion and came running and beat the **** out of the dog until it ran off.

I recall the fellow Mick mentioned with the 4 dogs he shot, I just can’t recall his name at the moment, but his story was in the Benalla newspaper and also in the sporting shooter magazine.

I think someone would have to be exceptionally brave or stupid to howl up dogs when on their own. We have howled them up in Namadgi National Park and once we got two packs howling at each other. I know for sure I wouldn’t want to be standing around with my bow in hand when they decided to come out of the forest to investigate the “trespasser”.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

hwarang archer

#7 Post by hwarang archer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:38 pm

i have been attacked by a feral dog ,out at surrat,qld
i was walking a paddock and came across the mutt under a tree,i startled it and it jumped up and bit my hand and put a fair hole in the palm

humphrey

#8 Post by humphrey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:23 pm

thats nasty, hwarang archer. :shock:
somethings gotta be done to thin them out.

jindy, i definately would not want to howl them up alone. if i knew id face only one dog, no matter how big or mean then i reckon i may. :lol: it would be a good rush, but not try and fend off a whole pack of the buggers.

archangel

scary dogs

#9 Post by archangel » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:26 pm

Not quite a feral dog story but it still scared the pants of us ....

Five years I was hiking SW of Perth with a group of kids, who found some piglets trapped in a wire cage. They must have been there for days because the ground was really chewed up. Being good-hearted kids, they felt sorry and let them go. About half an hour up the track, a guy passes us in a 4WD to where we had seen the pigs. He had two HUGE dogs on the back, ridgeback-cross with mastiff. He appeared about the same breed as well. He gave us a pretty suss look as he went past.

As soon as he was out of sight we legged it into the bush about 200 metres and dropped. Sure enough, a few minutes later we heard the truck come back, a door slam and the dogs started barking. The kids were petrified that he was going to let them go, so I tied my hunting knife to a length of ti-tree as a lance. I figured if they came at us I could skewer at least one of them. After 10 minutes the guy must have thought we had gone further up the track and left. We headed away from the track and camped in the bush that night.

buzz

#10 Post by buzz » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:51 pm

Further to Jindy's story, strong local lobbying in the Monaro region, particularly around the Yaouk (bet I spelt it wrong) area at the bottom of Namadgi / top east side of Kosciousko National Park / Eucumbene area has reulted in the NSW P&WS planning to reintroduce aerial baiting. There is a tree that they just keep hanging more and more dog carcasses off, and apparently the local govt member has been past a few times now.

I think there have been further stories of fishermen being stalked and sussed out by dog packs.
sssshhhh.... they are watching

jindydiver

#11 Post by jindydiver » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:04 pm

You got the spelling perfect :D Not exactly easy, and pronouncing like a proper local is even harder :lol: :lol:

The poison drop was done over the dry spell in spring, at least that was the plan, I haven't had a chance to chat to the locals to get the mail yet.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

jindydiver

#12 Post by jindydiver » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:06 pm

Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Pete

#13 Post by Pete » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:38 pm

G'day,
I haven't been attacked by a feral dog but i have heard a few stories about them.
As for hunting them with a bow and calling em up..i dont think i'de do it yet. Dont have enough experience with em.
I must admit on the Vic high Country Ozbow hunt a couple of months ago, i got a bit spooked by the amount of sign around in some places. Just wouldn't have known what to do if i ran into a pack of em. was all alone, Luckily i didn't see any.

Mick, bugger carring a tomahawk in the areas with lots of em, i say carry a .44 or sawn off instead. :lol:

Pete F

buzz

#14 Post by buzz » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:42 pm

Farmers have been campaigning for a resumption of aerial baiting in Kosciuszko National Park since it was banned in 1996, while conservationists have argued that the method endangers species such as dingos and tiger quolls.

Mr Cohen said research had shown that the quoll population was sparse in the northern part of the park where yesterday's baiting was done.

There were "ample" populations of the native carnivores elsewhere in the park.
There might be a reason why the native species were sparse in that part of the park... coz these big critters with sharp canine teeth keep killing them! They make the cat problem relatively insignificant.

jindydiver

#15 Post by jindydiver » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:24 pm

If you are interested in getting some info on what the government proposes for the control on feral animals then you can download this report tabled in parliment earlier this week
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/p ... report.pdf
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

memo

#16 Post by memo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:21 pm

Yeah Jindy,
the hunters name is Dennis Keith from My Beauty. I recall his story as it was a bit close to home. :shock:
As for dogs, I thought it was you blokes at the High Country Hunt. I don't know if it was dogs or what, But it was the first time in the bush I was more than a bit concerned when the only sign I saw was dog and I heard that growl come out of that dogwood gully.
I would Love to get a wild dog, but that day on my own really made me think twice.

jindydiver

#17 Post by jindydiver » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:20 am

Thanks memo, that's the guy. He is quite well known in the deer hunting circles, and his story sure was an eye opener :)
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

hellier

#18 Post by hellier » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:00 pm

My only experience with wild dogs was in Bolivia in South America...we threw stones at them and sticks and banked the fire up...didn't sleep allllll night...it was hard to tell how many they were 'cos it was night time...but in the morning the locals from the village came out all concerned.. ( gawd bless 'em )...'cos they'd been up all night too...I suppose that way back when wolves were prevalent you'd probably be doing the same...and IMHO..we are not that far from those times depending on your territory. Humph...forget an axe...too close to the biting bits...a sawn off was what I was wishing for..... :shock:
Up a tree would be a good place to be.....or somewhere else entirely...
I always say that adventure is sitting in a comfortable armchair, reading about something frightfull happening to somebody else...... 8)
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

bear74

#19 Post by bear74 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:04 am

It's all to common for people and pets/livestock to be attacked by wild dog packs in the rural parts of darwin at least once a week mainly around humpty doo and ajoining areas, I had a couple of single dogs have a go while hunting a mates station near the finniss river out of darwin but a razor sharp broadhead splitting his skull put an end to that one :twisted: . I think the best thing to do is not run and back yourself up against a solid object so they have to attack from the front and arm yourself with anything that can be used as a weapon.

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

yavigaaz

#20 Post by yavigaaz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:31 pm

bear74 wrote:...arm yourself with anything that can be used as a weapon.
C4 plastic explosives?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:50 pm

yavigaaz,

Firstly welcome. Secondly you seem to have some ideas that are waaaaaaaaay out there. :shock: :lol:

Jeff

yavigaaz

#22 Post by yavigaaz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:54 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:yavigaaz,

Firstly welcome. Secondly you seem to have some ideas that are waaaaaaaaay out there. :shock: :lol:

Jeff
Hehe Thank you Jeff!!

I do have a large imagination... And Way out there ideas are my forté!!

I'll try to keep up the good work!! :P

But, i reckon it would be interesting and fun to take on a pack of wild dogs. Wouldn't you agree? It'd be a challenge!! A very painful challenge..

- Jeremy

buzz

#23 Post by buzz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:35 pm

yavigaaz wrote: But, i reckon it would be interesting and fun to take on a pack of wild dogs. Wouldn't you agree? It'd be a challenge!! A very painful challenge..

- Jeremy
I think the guy in the pics from Cronulla on the weekend who was wearing a lovely black and brown fur number would agree it was a painful experience. And that was just one police dog that just bit to hurt... not a pack of wild dogs whose next meal depended on their teeth.