longbows in the nam

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

hardgainer

longbows in the nam

#1 Post by hardgainer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:23 am

Mick Smith

Re: longbows in the nam

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 am

Hi Tony. I remember that article well, as I happened to own that edition of Bow and Arrow magazine back at around that time. Actually it was quite common to see articles about archery in Vietnam in those days, as it was during that war. I also remember one other article that was about a 'commando' crossbow which was designed for special forces use. It brought back some old memories for me.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:38 am

That was an interesting article. I will point out that the soldier was shooting a recurve and not a longbow though.

I'm sure I have read somewhere of bows and arrows being used by Aussies in the 2nd World War but can't remember where I read it now.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 am

I can recall reading somewhere that during the darkest stages of WW2, when a Japanese invasion of Australia looked inevitable, the Australian government contracted out the cutting of thousands of spotted gum staves which might be used to equip the population with some form of defence in a guerrilla war scenario, in a Japanese occupied Australia.

I don't know if the contract was actually carried out or not. The tides of fortune soon changed after the defeat of the Japanese navy in a couple of decisive battles soon after.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by kerry » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:24 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:That was an interesting article. I will point out that the soldier was shooting a recurve and not a longbow though.

I'm sure I have read somewhere of bows and arrows being used by Aussies in the 2nd World War but can't remember where I read it now.

Jeff
there was a pom in the second world war called Mad Jack Churchill who fought the germans with a long bow and wore a sword. If you google his name he got up to some amazing sh!t
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:07 am

kerry wrote: there was a pom in the second world war called Mad Jack Churchill who fought the germans with a long bow and wore a sword. If you google his name he got up to some amazing sh!t

This was a question on Q.I. just last night! He was a classic, ol' Mad Jack! He insisted an officer must wear a sword into battle and despite a popular assumption, was no relation to the great Winston Churchill ( a giant of politics if ever there was one, and I admit, a Tory I have enormous respect for :smile: )
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Len

#7 Post by Len » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:39 am

Was it MadJack who said" if it wasn't for those damned yanks we could have had another couple of years of war!" ?
Hmmmmmmm.............

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by kerry » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:58 am

Nephew wrote:
kerry wrote: there was a pom in the second world war called Mad Jack Churchill who fought the germans with a long bow and wore a sword. If you google his name he got up to some amazing sh!t

This was a question on Q.I. just last night! He was a classic, ol' Mad Jack! He insisted an officer must wear a sword into battle and despite a popular assumption, was no relation to the great Winston Churchill ( a giant of politics if ever there was one, and I admit, a Tory I have enormous respect for :smile: )

That's right Craig if it wasn't for google and the tv i'd be an iggerant hillbilly... hang on a minute I still am :lol:
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:30 pm

kerry wrote:

That's right Craig if it wasn't for google and the tv i'd be an iggerant hillbilly... hang on a minute I still am :lol:
Oh, I dunno about that... you're clever enough to choose to be an ABC viewer! :wink: :biggrin:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi Craig
Nephew wrote:This was a question on Q.I. just last night! He was a classic, ol' Mad Jack! He insisted an officer must wear a sword into battle ...
Not quite. He is quoted as saying in his opinion an officer going into battle without a sword was improperly dressed. He wore a Claybeg, to be technically pedantic. :roll:
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Chase N. Nocks

#11 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:10 pm

These guys started out with bows and arrows and crossbows but progressed to other stuff during the Vietnam War before they were abandoned.

How ironic that they had to hand in their weapons considering where they were headed. :surprised:

1992, they are all "Good Old Boys" now I reckon.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 40,2508382

Colonel Kurtz knew their value.

cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Jim

#12 Post by Jim » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:06 pm

The bad guys in Afghan had developed a strategy of hiding by the door and grabbing the weapon of the first guy through, in order to stall the entry. The counter strategy was for the number two guy to carry a machete or hatchet to remove the offending arms. It didn't take long for that bad guy strategy to be abandoned, but there was a period of many a western infantry man carrying a sizeable primitive weapon into battle and a whole range of 'tactical tomahawks' emerging in the modern marketplace. I never saw a sword though :wink:

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Talking about the use of primitive weapons in modern warfare. It's hard to go past the Australian Light Horse Brigade and the last of the great successful cavalry charges which took place in October 1917 at Beersheba.

With their rifles slung across their backs, the Light Horsemen waved their bayonets overhead, as they charged across six kilometres of open ground cheating Turkish bombs, shells and bullets. Six kilometres of open ground!

The Light Horsemen lunged into the Turkish trenches like madmen, cutting and slashing with their bayonets, which aren't even actually swords which are considerably longer. Most of the dirty work was done with bayonets only and it was brutal. It's no wonder the Turks took to their heels.

It was an act of foolhardy bravery which seems to have slipped through the cracks of popular Australian military history to a large extent, probably due to the fact that only 31 Australians were killed. This figure pales into insignificance when compared to other far more deadly battles of WW1. It was the turning point of the war against the Turkish empire, so militarily the charge was very significant.

For its sheer audacity and courage alone, this charge and the men involved deserve far more recognition than they currently receive.

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Very interesting stuff :wink: