Trad Archer....... hmmmmmm

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Trad Archer....... hmmmmmm

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Evening All.

Went to the Pan Pacific Masters over the weekend to take a few photos of the event.

Recognise this Trad Archer and check out his bow. :shock:
005.jpg
005.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
:D :D :D :D

If you want to see more photos from the Pan Pacs their is a link on the front of the SQAS Website ( http://www.archerysqas.org.au/ )
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Dennis La Varenne

Re: Trad Archer....... hmmmmmm

#2 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Grahame,

The picture doesn't work.

Now it does.

Sad thing is, that anything non-compound could almost be regarded now as trad. Interesting rules of shoot though.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Why does this b/s message come up in some posts if you are not loged on to the site.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is it secret womens business?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:24 pm

is that a push bike the blokes holding up :roll: :mrgreen:

dmm

#5 Post by dmm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:45 pm

I'm sure this wasn't deliberate, but the picture looks even more ridiculous, because of the scope partially obscured by the bow. To me looks like the bow has an extra handle and a lens cap!
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:54 pm

yes Daryl I was wondering why the photo didn't come up when not logged in - it's fixed now...

I thought he had a mirror hanging off the bottom of the bow, and was wondering how the heck that helped.............

We have something that looks similar on our roof, and it doesn't get good reception either............. :D

sue

Benny Nganabbarru

#7 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Yeah, but he's entitled to his game, and it probably brings him a fair degree of happiness and satisfaction.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Nephew

#8 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Hmmm, it's not for me, nor do I recognise the archer (Sorry mate :wink: ), but as long as the event organisers haven't Ok'd that kind of gear for the Trad division, or whatever ( I have never attended such an event and have no idea how they discern what is what, but I can't imagine they would consider that "Trad"), then I see no harm in the bloke having a good time with whatever equipment he likes. He's harming no-one, let him enjoy it, I reckon. :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:36 am

Morning Craig, et al.

It was the Pan Pacific Masters Games and it was the target event so there were lots of people shooting Target gear. I just found it interesting to see a person who often shoots Trad shooting Olympic Recurve - and shooting it very well. It reinforces my view that cross competition raises the level in both styles.

There were a few Longbow and Barebow shooters there as well as a couple of Barebow Compound archers (which are not common amongst the target ranks). Those who competed appeared to have a great time.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hardgainer

#10 Post by hardgainer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:06 am

:roll: :roll:
Attachments
2nd funny.jpg
2nd funny.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 1850 times

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 am

:lol: :lol:

Chase N. Nocks

#12 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24 am

GrahameA wrote:Morning Craig, et al.

It was the Pan Pacific Masters Games and it was the target event so there were lots of people shooting Target gear. I just found it interesting to see a person who often shoots Trad shooting Olympic Recurve - and shooting it very well. It reinforces my view that cross competition raises the level in both styles. There were a few Longbow and Barebow shooters there as well as a couple of Barebow Compound archers (which are not common amongst the target ranks). Those who competed appeared to have a great time.
Grahame, I agree completely.

Moreton I don't think it is for me either (target recurve) but I could see myself giving compound/sight/release aid 3D shooting again but I would probably try to get some help before I gave it another wack. In my whole shooting history I have never had target panic until and onlt with shooting with sights and release aid on a bow. There were just so many variables involved in releasing a good shot. I found it very difficult and admire those that do it well, in fact anyone who shoots well in any of the shooting disciplines.

Grahame, who is it BTW?
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi Troy.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:Moreton I don't think it is for me either (target recurve) but I could see myself giving compound/sight/release aid 3D shooting again but I would probably try to get some help before I gave it another wack. In my whole shooting history I have never had target panic until and onlt with shooting with sights and release aid on a bow. There were just so many variables involved in releasing a good shot. I found it very difficult and admire those that do it well, in fact anyone who shoots well in any of the shooting disciplines.
IMHO. Shooting "Trad" there is a lot of stuff going on subconsciously and a few things things happening consciously. When I swap over to recurve there is still the subconscious stuff happening plus more conscious stuff. Plus when bow goes "Click" the release happens. With a Compound there is even more stuff going on plus I struggle a little - well a lot actually - to hold the bow steady enough so that the target does not look like it is bouncing around the back of a truck.

My view is that it iw no easier to shoot any of the bows/styles/divisions as compared to each other. It is just that as you move up technically the scores go up just as fast plus you get more things that you can set up wrong on your bow :shock: :roll: and the more chances you get to have your poor form punished.

I will pm you an answer to your other question.
Grahame.

hazard

#14 Post by hazard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Hardgainer summed it up nicely with the picture! Thats all I have to say!!!!
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Chase N. Nocks

#15 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:17 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Troy.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:Moreton I don't think it is for me either (target recurve) but I could see myself giving compound/sight/release aid 3D shooting again but I would probably try to get some help before I gave it another wack. In my whole shooting history I have never had target panic until and onlt with shooting with sights and release aid on a bow. There were just so many variables involved in releasing a good shot. I found it very difficult and admire those that do it well, in fact anyone who shoots well in any of the shooting disciplines.
IMHO. Shooting "Trad" there is a lot of stuff going on subconsciously and a few things things happening consciously. When I swap over to recurve there is still the subconscious stuff happening plus more conscious stuff. Plus when bow goes "Click" the release happens. With a Compound there is even more stuff going on plus I struggle a little - well a lot actually - to hold the bow steady enough so that the target does not look like it is bouncing around the back of a truck.

My view is that it iw no easier to shoot any of the bows/styles/divisions as compared to each other. It is just that as you move up technically the scores go up just as fast plus you get more things that you can set up wrong on your bow :shock: :roll: and the more chances you get to have your poor form punished.

I will pm you an answer to your other question.
I agree 100%
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"